• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

So you are made boss of the politics section. What rules do you enact, repeal or change?

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not saying you don't use the rest of the forums nor else of the sort, just making a suggestion that might help with some of the issues found in this section.
Bickering about homebrew software and video games is literally the point of GBAtemp. Even if they are pointless bickers, it's still literally the reason why this site exists and the reason why those sections after heavily categorized for those purposes. This section only exists because the pointless political bickering kept taking up space in different sections and the staff decided to make a dedicated section just for that pointless bickering. That being said, removing reward for this section might at least help cut back on some of the problems found in this section. If people aren't being rewarded for their posts, they might be a little less likely to literally live in this section.
but. im pretty sure a lot of them bicker because want to argue and will still fight even if they aren't rewarded.. restricting the section might have the opposite affect and move it to other areas.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
but. im pretty sure a lot of them bicker because want to argue and will still fight even if they aren't rewarded.. restricting the section might have the opposite affect and move it to other areas.
Outright arguing to the point where something breaks the rules should be reported and handled by the staff. Still, if users start bringing a terrible attitude to the rest of the forums, then they should also be dealt with by the staff. It's less about 100% fixing a problem and more about mitigating the problems. People will still be doing the same thing, but just with no reward. If they go about taking their frustration out on the rest of the site, then they will be dealt with.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Outright arguing to the point where something breaks the rules should be reported and handled by the staff. Still, if users start bringing a terrible attitude to the rest of the forums, then they should also be dealt with by the staff. It's less about 100% fixing a problem and more about mitigating the problems. People will still be doing the same thing, but just with no reward. If they go about taking their frustration out on the rest of the site, then they will be dealt with.
I just speaking about an argument of an topic. In no way condoning (racist, sexist, etc) attacks those should be dealt with. but bricking is human nature. I would rather the issue be Isolated in a small section rather then the whole forum.

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Ban everyone who disagrees with me.

Nah, honestly I think I'm alright with the current way politics are moderated.

There are issues for sure, but it seems like a hard fix.

I will note however that I think it's important that we add some protections for LGBTQ+ members, it's a pain in the ass trying to get involved in a thread without being mobbed by people who would rather debate my existence than the actual topic at hands. Some people may take issue with this but I don't mind because transphobes are terrible at debate anyway and it's a net positive if we censor/get rid of them.

No matter what happens in the way of protections, some snowflake's gonna start crying about the mods being SJWs so it's not exactly a fantastic situation.

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I will note however that I think it's important that we add some protections for LGBTQ+ members, it's a pain in the ass trying to get involved in a thread without being mobbed by people who would rather debate my existence than the actual topic at hands. Some people may take issue with this but I don't mind because transphobes are terrible at debate anyway and it's a net positive if we censor/get rid of them.

No matter what happens in the way of protections, some snowflake's gonna start crying about the mods being SJWs so it's not exactly a fantastic situation.

You dont deserve protections more than anyone else, you're not special. The only reason I or anyone else knows you're trans is because you flaunt it. You flaunt it so you can use it as a victim excuse. You've no idea whether im black white asian, english irish scottish etc and you never will, you know why, because I'm not looking to throw it at somebody If i start too lose a pointless debate. I promise you nobody cares if you're trans or not, It's irrelevant.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You dont deserve protections more than anyone else, you're not special. The only reason I or anyone else knows you're trans is because you flaunt it. You flaunt it so you can use it as a victim excuse. You've no idea whether im black white asian, english irish scottish etc and you never will, you know why, because I'm not looking to throw it at somebody If i start too lose a pointless debate. I promise you nobody cares if you're trans or not, It's irrelevant.
I know .what you are ....your sad.

TheRedfox

blep
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe there should be just one simple rule for discussions here: Instant ban when personal attacks are used.

How hard is it to discuss something without attacking individual members? But apparently a lot of posters here get their fix out of personal attacks, it's like a drug for them.

Reactions: AmandaRose

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I promise you nobody cares if you're trans or not, It's irrelevant.
Tell that to the people who literally do care lmfao. I shouldn't have to ask for protections but I'd rather not get harassed by people. Literally, the only way you can tell I'm trans is because of my pfp, which I chose because I think it l o o k s n i c e and because it makes me feel happy to look at. I'm not the one going around devolving discussions by being trans, I've had plenty of discussions on this website that just dissolve into nothing because someone would rather bring up my identity than debate me. The only time I bring up my identity in a discussion is if it's relevant, not if I "start too lose a pointless debate" because I actually know how to debate.

I shouldn't have to hide who I am to avoid harassment, and you saying that people don't care is entirely counter to my lived experiences where people (like you) do very much care.

Like fuck dude I know I'm not special and at the end of the day I deserve to be treated as well as the next person but the reality is that my mere existence engenders hostility on this forum from people like you when factors like my identity SHOULD be wholly irrelevant unless the topic at hand is related.

So yeah, you're lame.

Edit: also I see people all over this website with gender symbols in their pfps and they aren't being harassed for "flaunting" their genders so why should I be harassed for "flaunting" my transness? It's almost as if you don't actually know what you're talking about and just want to invalidate my experience as a trans person on this website.

Last edited by Seliph,

Tatsuna

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly speaking, I feel like the USA is putting itself in a bad place when it comes to politics.
Politics stances cannot be censored in a sane and democratic country, even if what has been said is a proven lie and even when someone is demagouging. That's because people are supposed to think by themselves in democracy and build their own ideas and opinions, even if by lies. Why? Because there are laws for that. It's the principle of separation of powers. It's not the job of communities to proof-read or to censor, it's the judiciary's. If someone istigates, if someone lies, if someone commits a crime, it has to be taken to court and judged by who is supposed to do so.

Internet for the USA has become the place where the trials take place -- and there's nothing that terrifies me as much.

The reason why is not because our founding fathers didn't want to protect us from such things, but because they knew that when you give someone the power to decide what can be said, what can be done regarding ideas/opinions/political values outside of courts... then democracy itself crumbles. Democracy is supposed to defend itself from the people who try to demagouge, by debating, not by censorship. The moment you have the power to censor a thought, that's the end of the line.

The feeling I have when I see the USA political scene is that, no matter whether you talk about leftits, rightists or the forevermore ignored centrists, they all seem to believe that they should hold the power and when they do so, eliminate the opponents. In democracy, it doesn't work like this. Even if one of the sides wins, the other is supposed to partecipate with the political life of the country, because when a party wins or loses, it's not like the people who voted for it vanish. They must be represented too, otherwise we'd talk not about democracy, but oligarchy (i.e. few to command). That's what to me seems like missing nowadays: the perception of the other, the empathy towards the ones that don't think like you but at the same time lives in the same country as you. i.e. Republicans believe that Democrats should disappear when they win an election and Democrats think the same. Doesn't it seem wrong to anyone else?

This lack of empathy makes people gatekeeping in such a violent manner that I sometimes am left scared; "if you don't think like us, you must be cancelled" is a crime whether it comes from the right ("stop putting LGBTQ+ characters in media) or from the left ("you cannot wear space buns because you're not black"). And I see so many places nowadays in which people are not free to express themselves -- just think about gaming boards, which I won't mention because I don't know if I can, that ban people JUST if they don't align with a specific political party. That's scary as hell -- it's like we've totally forgot what we've been fighting for throughout all the last couple of centuries, and in such a fragile time, in which the West is challenged by the rise of authoritarians realities like Russia and China and how they're hindering and influencing our political and social scene.

I'm just hoping that this is just an extreme point reached by the people -- and just like every other extreme point, doomed to standardize sooner or later.

In conclusion, I believe that GBAtemp should moderate as they are supposed to: by punishing and/or banning whoever insults, breaks the law in any way or form, urge their users to be civil and attach sources when they make statements to prove their points and, in case someone is blatantly lie, to just let the rest of the users debating and spread the truth, not censor. When free speech ends, democracy ends. This, of course, if the boards want to keep open a thread about politics in a gaming environment... which I don't think it's proper, but that can be done if it's seriously maintained.

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tell that to the people who literally do care lmfao. I shouldn't have to ask for protections but I'd rather not get harassed by people. Literally, the only way you can tell I'm trans is because of my pfp, which I chose because I think it l o o k s n i c e and because it makes me feel happy to look at. I'm not the one going around devolving discussions by being trans, I've had plenty of discussions on this website that just dissolve into nothing because someone would rather bring up my identity than debate me. The only time I bring up my identity in a discussion is if it's relevant, not if I "start too lose a pointless debate" because I actually know how to debate.

I shouldn't have to hide who I am to avoid harassment, and you saying that people don't care is entirely counter to my lived experiences where people (like you) do very much care.

Like fuck dude I know I'm not special and at the end of the day I deserve to be treated as well as the next person but the reality is that my mere existence engenders hostility on this forum from people like you when factors like my identity SHOULD be wholly irrelevant unless the topic at hand is related.

So yeah, you're lame.

Edit: also I see people all over this website with gender symbols in their pfps and they aren't being harassed for "flaunting" their genders so why should I be harassed for "flaunting" my transness? It's almost as if you don't actually know what you're talking about and just want to invalidate my experience as a trans person on this website.

People like me? Give me one example where I've attacked you and your existence just for being trans. Anybody who makes any counter argument to your posts (i.e not giving children life altering chemicals) you see as an attack on you and your existence, It's not really the case though is it.

Im lame? That's an attack on my existence. I deserve special protections do I not, or are they reserved just for those who make themselves into victims. If your mere presence engenders hostility on the forum then maybe you're the problem. I don't care that you're trans, couldn't care less. That doesn't suit your victim narrative though so nah that must be it right, you're just special afterall, my bad.

Maybe there should be just one simple rule for discussions here: Instant ban when personal attacks are used.

How hard is it to discuss something without attacking individual members? But apparently a lot of posters here get their fix out of personal attacks, it's like a drug for them.

What you mean is an a ban for those who disagree with you. I was clearly just personally insulted, I was called lame. Does this not count? I guess not because you liked that post.

Last edited by Doran754,

TheRedfox

blep
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@FAST6191 @VinsCool

Okay cool, staff asked the community for an opinion

Now we see some toxicity in the thread here, going against literally everything stated in https://gbatemp.net/help/terms

My question now, what will staff do to resolve toxicity here now, and prevent it in the future? (and just deleting posts is not really an acceptable answer in my opinion to be honest, most people doing personal attacks do it consistently...)

Last edited by TheRedfox,

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@FAST6191 @VinsCool

Okay cool, staff asked the community for an opinion

Now we see some toxicity in the thread here, going against literally everything stated in https://gbatemp.net/help/terms

My question now, what will staff do to resolve toxicity here now, and prevent it in the future? (and just deleting posts is not really an acceptable answer in my opinion to be honest, most people doing personal attacks do it consistently...)
Exactly my argument.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Nah its repulsive that you continue to attack for no reason and continue to misquote everything I have said. But then you do have a history of misquoting or changing the context of what people have said for your own gain as can be seen in other threads as other users have pointed out several times. And reply all you want to this I will be saying no more about this in this thread.

Thank you and enjoy the rest of your day

The quote I gave takes you directly to the thread and shows the context of what happened. Anybody can read for themselves. "lies"

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The quote I gave takes you directly to the thread and shows the context of what happened. Anybody can read for themselves. "lies"
I have told you several times in this thread to stop harassing me and that I no longer wish to continue this conversation but no you continue to harass me. So for the last time STOP HARASSING ME.

Continue to do so and you are breaking the site rules.

From the site rules.

Do not "flame", "bash", "troll" or harass others. Blatantly offensive comments or actions directed at others will not be tolerated. While we do allow members to debate and voice their own opinions, there will be a limit to how far a heated debate can go before it is closed by staff. If you harass someone you will be disciplined. Period

Thank you

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Look. In the other thread you tried holding the fact that I don't follow you around in other threads, and know about all your quirks, against me by saying that "I should know 'this and that' about you" because I am somehow being insensitive to your person. I came here and see at the top post something arguably wrong with what you are saying, passively blaming me and others for your idiosyncrasies. Do you want people to live in Amanda world (a contradictory mess), or can you respect that people have opinions that you don't like? If you don't want me to respond to you, don't talk to me, or about me.

Or hell, don't say anything disagreeable.

Reactions: Doran754

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I just speaking about an argument of an topic. In no way condoning (racist, sexist, etc) attacks those should be dealt with. but bricking is human nature. I would rather the issue be Isolated in a small section rather then the whole forum.
Of course! I don't disagree with your points, which is why I am trying to find means of at least making this place less terrible. Not rewarding people for posting in this section might discourage some of the shit we see.
I also agree with post

LGBT+ members need some kind of protection because too many threads involving these topics end up being swarmed by anti-LGBT+ members and dogpile on LGBT+ members trying to put in any form of input. It would be nice for the staff to actually take time to listen to LGBT+ when we are trying to point out problematic comments and members. A lot times it's far less "debatable" than people make it out to be if they take time to listen to us when we try to help them understand the issue.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I don't think taking away the points from politics is going to discourage anything. Maybe if people could spend points to post in politics, that'd be fun. But you'd be catering exclusively to populism. You can't have a pretty politics section because politics are not pretty.

There is a handy ignore function if you want to silence opposing views, and posts are generally moderated, and punishable. I don't know what kind of special protections one would desire that aren't already there. If there is a special LGBT section where the moderator can be chosen amongst the community and enforce rules about being LGBT friendly then that might be an approach. I don't think people should be silenced, forum wide, because they express a disinterest, or even disdain, of LGBT lifestyle.

Reactions: VinsCool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)