So ya missed it when it came out or was popular

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm just wondering, is it even relevant how old a game is, to whether you will play it or not.

Or in the case of an anime show, whether it is more than a year old.

Sitting here watching a show I have stored on disc and it's not like it is old, but then it's also old enough a lot of you lot might not recall it either.
I just haven't gotten around to watching it all the way through (the series that is). So it's not like it is 'old' to me, as I have not watched it before (fully).

I have the same situation with a lot of Nintendo DS games (which thanks to having downloaded, I have not had to worry I might have missed the boat on buying).

So I am in a position to be able to enjoy some stuff even though it's hardly recent.

How likely are you to indulge something even though everyone will be thinking 'been there done that' over it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is a matter of course for me- others have summed it up better than I will but should I face drought type conditions in relation to entertainment I have been known to mistake things I would not normally subject myself to as entertainment.

Similarly in many ways video has not progressed all that much in decades- not that I would forgo the advancements of said decades and in many ways games peaked some time ago (not helped entirely by what might be considered secondary objectives* over more core concerns) and the written word in even longer ago.
To this end "old" means little and better yet when it is old (read over) I can consume at the rate I desire.

The only time I tend to forgo the old (unless I am trawling for ideas or tracing a lineage) is when it comes to science. There I can ill afford to that far behind and given the rate at which new stuff is released too much pause can easily cause me to be behind.

*before you ask yes that was a thinly veiled graphics are not the be all and end all. I can only hope now consoles have supposedly stalled (and the PC similarly when it comes to minimum requirements) for another few years the situation improves.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
New or old is all the same to me. Fun is fun. I try not to judge anything until I try it, and i'm pretty flexible with what I accept as fun.

Videos too. I love older cartoons. I don't care if the graphics aren't some top-notch HD stuff, as long as it's fun/interesting to watch i'll watch it.

Older doesn't mean worse in my books.

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hells Malice said:
New or old is all the same to me. Fun is fun. I try not to judge anything until I try it, and i'm pretty flexible with what I accept as fun.

Videos too. I love older cartoons. I don't care if the graphics aren't some top-notch HD stuff, as long as it's fun/interesting to watch i'll watch it.

Older doesn't mean worse in my books.
This unless its Madden especially Madden 10 that game sucked really bad.

I still play Madden 04 because every madden after that was COMPLETE CRAP.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tl;dr - multiplayer is too vacant 6months on, anime is too far behind = too long to catch up

If it was a game based mainly on multiplayer then I wouldn't bother getting it if it was over 6 months-1 year (depending on it's success, MW2 is still going strong roughly a year on) since most people will have moved on to a new game.
If it was a game like oblivion or mass effect, it's no different than if you bought it when it came out.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't classify anything made within the DS's lifespan as "old".

I usually play games late so the hype dying down doesn't really bother me, but if a game's really started to show it's age then that might put me off. I tried the FFVI port on the PSX and I just couldn't get into it, I know it's supposed to be a brilliant game but something in me didn't click with seeing GBA-style graphics on a big screen.

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't care if a game is old, in fact, I prefer old games over a lot of new games anyway. Since I'm only 16, I've actually played games that are older than I am, and loved them. The SNES is definitely my favorite console, even though when I was born it was either near the end of or finished with its life cycle already.
frown.gif

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah I suppose games that are mostly about the online multi player can occasionally fizzle out from diminishing interest.

I'm currently playing BBC Battlefield Academy (a PC wargame) that really rocks in multiplayer. It's good in solo, but I suspect when the multiplayer dies down the game will lose some shine. I'm just hoping the multiplayer takes a couple of years to run down (if).

For sake of our discussion, I was placing 'old' at being anything older than 5 years. Not that that is actually 'old' to some forms of thinking.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
To me older games are vastly superior to modern games. Let's run the list:

- Mario. Yeah, Galaxy 2 is fun, but there's no escaping that it's basically an expansion pack. Seems to me Mario is running out of ideas at last. And even though it's fun, to me nothing can hold a candle to the GOD OF ALL CARTRIDGES that is All Stars + World for my trusty SNES. Gaming perfection.

- Zelda. Compare Spirit Tracks to Ocarina of Time. 'nuff said.

- Final Fantasy. 13 damn near plays itself, it wants nothing to do with that whole 'gameplay' fad. If it had been an actual movie like Advent Children it probably would've been kick ass. But it's supposed to be a game, and IMHO it falls flat on its face. Compare that to the sheer brilliance that is FF6, or my personal if a little cliched fave, FF7. They managed the whole epic storyline and deep character development too, only we got to actually play every now and then.

- Starfox. Got it right with Starwing, perfected the formula with Lylat Wars, then spent the next decade with its finger squarely up its arse doing nothing. Everything since Lylat Wars has been a step backwards. While they've all been at least passable, including the ill-conceived Adventures IMHO, nothing comes close to being in the Arwing, taking on the galaxy. I'm so sick of waiting for Star Fox Wii that I've begun writing a script for a Star Fox game. I'm sending it to Nintendo in the hopes they'll meet the fans half way and finally remove the wayward finger.

- Sonic. Oh how the mighty have fallen. Sonic was one of the greats when I was young. Now look at him. Ever since he came to the third dimension he's had it rough. Every now and then he'll make a passable game like the Adventures, but he's never truly shined the way he did in the glory days of his 16 bit career. Now look at Sonic 4. 16 years in the making and we get a half baked poorly executed excuse for a game where we're buying the game in installments. Sonic 2 has what, 11 stages total, split into between 1 and 3 acts? Sonic 4 has...4. You can see why I'm pissed off with it. Cough up the rest of my game you thieving bastards.

I'm not saying modern gaming doesn't have its redeeming features. In fact it has some truly phenominal games. But if you ask me, the golden years were the bit wars, from the NES to the Dreamcast, and they've long since goneGames these days focus too much on multiplayer, graphics, and pointless gimmicks. Because of the high budgets of games these days as they all have to look high def (IE: have that stupid Gears of War style wet look to them, god damn that pissed me off) they spend far too much time looking the part and forget to include a viable game experience. The developer's assumptions that everyone plays online also bugs me. I prefer to stay offline, primarily because I'm sick of the plethora of racist 12 year olds giving me crap. So half the modern gaming world is near dead to me. While the retro world welcomes me with open arms, inviting me and my closest friends to sit on the couch and pelt red turtle shells at each other until our friendships dissolve the way nature intended.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not sure how familiar you are with the wargaming universe Blaze, but it is to some extent as bad. My game names are different, but the same effect is present.

Too many greats, and then everyone has to jump on the band wagon and milk it to death. You end up with a string of games that don't look different enough to matter calling them different.

And then there is the problem of everyone and his uncle thinking that because THEY didn't release a title from the same damn battle and the same damn command level, there's no reason they shouldn't make one too.

It is VERY rare, that someone actually does anything actually unique and different.

My only real complaint half the time, is the greats won't run on a new computer without a lot of geek skill in the process.
One of my all time favs the company that sells it, they offer it for sale at a great price reduction for the next week or so. The real tragedy though, is it is a program that was made in the dos years and it doesn't really like new computers and OSs. It's amazing they can get anyone to buy it at all.

I don't want to need to master dosbox to run a program.
I don't want NEW games, I want my old games re released so they run properly actually.
Don't fuck up the game, just make it so it runs correctly in Windows 7.

mameks

in memoriam of gravitas
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A lot of re-makes of games suck ass...there are some exceptions, but overall, IMHO, they suck.
As for anime...I don't care when it was made, if I enjoy it, it doesn't matter.
Which anime were you talking about?

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I actually barely play new games.

I either play WoW, fallout or some old game on .

And something, on rare events, I tend to play a new game like Rainbow Six when gaming with friends.

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blaze163 said:
- Zelda. Compare Spirit Tracks to Ocarina of Time. 'nuff said.
I think it's kinda unfair to compare a console game to a handheld game. You should be comparing Twilight Princess to Ocarina, and personally, I think TP's just as good as OoT.

Blaze163 said:
- Final Fantasy. 13 damn near plays itself, it wants nothing to do with that whole 'gameplay' fad. If it had been an actual movie like Advent Children it probably would've been kick ass. But it's supposed to be a game, and IMHO it falls flat on its face. Compare that to the sheer brilliance that is FF6, or my personal if a little cliched fave, FF7. They managed the whole epic storyline and deep character development too, only we got to actually play every now and then.
Uh, you probably didn't play very far. I can agree that 13 simply wasn't as good as the older games, but the gameplay was quite stimulating. If you weren't switching Paradigms constantly, you'd either die or get horrible ratings in the battles.

Blaze163 said:
- Starfox. Got it right with Starwing, perfected the formula with Lylat Wars, then spent the next decade with its finger squarely up its arse doing nothing. Everything since Lylat Wars has been a step backwards. While they've all been at least passable, including the ill-conceived Adventures IMHO, nothing comes close to being in the Arwing, taking on the galaxy. I'm so sick of waiting for Star Fox Wii that I've begun writing a script for a Star Fox game. I'm sending it to Nintendo in the hopes they'll meet the fans half way and finally remove the wayward finger.
God damn is this true. Assault wasn't half bad, but there was still too much focus on the damn walking around.

QUOTE(Blaze163 @ Oct 24 2010, 06:07 PM) - Sonic. Oh how the mighty have fallen. Sonic was one of the greats when I was young. Now look at him. Ever since he came to the third dimension he's had it rough. Every now and then he'll make a passable game like the Adventures, but he's never truly shined the way he did in the glory days of his 16 bit career. Now look at Sonic 4. 16 years in the making and we get a half baked poorly executed excuse for a game where we're buying the game in installments. Sonic 2 has what, 11 stages total, split into between 1 and 3 acts? Sonic 4 has...4. You can see why I'm pissed off with it. Cough up the rest of my game you thieving bastards.
Once again, I'll agree completely. Sonic was one of the 2D series not meant for 3D (although the same could have been said about Mario I guess, if Mario 64 hadn't been absolutely incredible.

On your last bit Blaze, it's not like online multiplayer keeps you form playing games with friends. My friends and I frequently gather around and fire up some TF2, usually doing quite well. Local multiplayer will always be really fun, but there's room for online as well.

QUOTE(Panzer Tacticer @ Oct 24 2010, 09:30 PM)
My only real complaint half the time, is the greats won't run on a new computer without a lot of geek skill in the process.
Good god, I hate this. The trouble I've gone through to get things like Doom, Duke Nukem, and (this one was especially horrible) Starship Titanic working have been horrendous. Although I do love that feeling when you actually get the thing to boot.

To comment on the main thread question, I'll play or watch something no matter when it was out. Recently I watched the earlier Gundam series, and I'll frequently fire up the old emulators. As long as the game's quality, that's all that matters.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just a passing note but many of the old classic FPS titles like Doom and Duke3d have been open sourced (sans maps/levels but they are not hard to come by) and many great versions with all sorts of extras/enhancements as well as modern machine capability
http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/ports/
http://dukenukem.wikia.com/wiki/Source_port
Quake has loads
Quake 2 has loads.

Those have not been open sourced (or updated and released for free http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/ ) often have good remakes (stuff like Jazz Jackrabbit http://www.alister.eu/jazz/oj/ , civilisation http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Features and transport tycoon deluxe http://www.openttd.org/en/ ) and cross ports (the doom and build engines were more ubiquitous back then than the unreal engine is today so often it only takes a bit of tweaking to get it where it needs to be).
Another nice thing is there are mods aplenty for these older games http://www.moddb.com/mods
Equally quite a bit (looking at stuff like lemmings, populous, syndicate and beyond) got very solid amiga ports and amiga emulation is amazingly good.
I should also mention that many of these games got ported to the DS and co.

As a passing note though freedos and straight up virtualisation (we are long past the point where it is no harder than installing an OS) are getting better by the day if dosbox does not do it for you (I agree is it very annoying to set up). Equally WINE is often worth a go with pre DX9 stuff (DX9 stuff is also not bad but albeit not quite system replacement yet).

Just for fun and to cause those who suffered it to cringe though I am going to say dos4gw, soundblaster compatible, serial port networking and gravis gamepad.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"