Question so, with all the things happening in the last few weeks in the nindendo world

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
usually speaking , if someone writes up a decent article on a worthy peice of news hacking or otherwise , properly formatted with decent content not just cut and pasted , it will grab enough attention to warrant a front page post. submit your news in the user submitted news forum and you may become that journalist you crave.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
GBAtemp covers a wide verity of stuff from hacking to gaming. It just seems the most most recent news is gaming. But I am shocked that the 3DS downgrade didn't make the front page news.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
there does seem to have been a push within the management to heighten the profile of gbatemp through news and "proper" journalism rather than the underworld scene id say the past 12 months has seen a change in gbatemp from hacking forum to a more fuller gaming news site , i welcome this approach tbh , the scene news will always be there , but it seems it has to be of a major instance rather than little tweaks here n there. just my observations.

edit : although it does seem other communities seem to publically emphasise new exploits and the like as major news.

Last edited by pwsincd,
Reactions: T-hug

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
3DS hacking developments come so rapidly that unless we had a writer specifically focused on covering that material in something like a weekly editorial it would quickly muddy up the front page.

3DSPoet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DS hacking developments come so rapidly that unless we had a writer specifically focused on covering that material in something like a weekly editorial it would quickly muddy up the front page.

Besides, think of the PR aspects... On the front page, just another mild-mannered gaming news site....but when the glasses come off, it's SUPER-HAXOR! :P

Further, I think, deep down at the heart of it, GBATemp is and always HAS been a site dedicating to the experience of gaming...all the hacks & homebrew & such are just aspects of that love of gaming! ^_^

Last edited by 3DSPoet,
Reactions: T-hug

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
how come the frontpage news are like 9/10 random game announcements?
i always thought scene meant something different than gaming general
The staff (most of them) have little interest in the current Nintendo platforms.

By and large, they were around as youngsters when the DS/Wii/GBA were killing it in the console market. Nowadays, the 3ds and WiiU aren't as attractive as Sony or PC/Steam to their more adult taste in gaming.

I still find Nintendo's games and platforms simple and fun so, meh, I stuck around with them.
(and their shit is easier to hack, yay ;p)

Last edited by zoogie,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The staff (most of them) have little interest in the current Nintendo platforms.

By and large, they were around as youngsters when the DS/Wii/GBA were killing it in the console market. Nowadays, the 3ds and WiiU aren't as attractive as Sony or PC/Steam to their more adult taste in gaming.

I still find Nintendo's games and platforms simple and fun so, meh, I stuck around with them.

To an extent, however I am still up for the GBA and DS libraries and when I was doing things like http://gbatemp.net/threads/links-to-various-gbatemp-features-over-the-years.352851/ I would look up devs and they were nowhere to be seen for the 3ds (or they migrated to andrios*). The Nintendo first party stuff/captive dev seems to be basically the same as the GBA and DS, maybe with a slight lick of paint, so I can see similar things happening which I would welcome, however it did not and I am left with the Nintendo first party offerings, and not even the ones I liked like Advance Wars, which is as good as nothing at all.

*the rapid slowdown of the DS homebrew releases coincided with a lot of such games and devs looking at IOS, which android has since swallowed, so I do not hold out the most hope for the 3ds homebrew scene either.

Reactions: zoogie

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
no disrespect , but shouldnt your views be irrelevent as a reporter , maybe as a reviewer you can add your thoughts towards a subject matter and indeed you can in generic posts , but as a reporter shouldnt the content of your "reported" posts be irrelavent to your interest ? maybe im wrong

Reactions: SLiV3R

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unbiased conveyances of information, preferably in an area you are familiar with, is a way to set about reporting*. I did actually see (or have IRC thrust in my face) the downgrade stuff as it was figured out, shared and then spread far and wide. However then came the bricks and I was not up for wading through the posts to see what goes, choosing instead to wait for it all to shake loose.

*it is a bit long but my thoughts on such matters align fairly well with the intro/overview given in

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country

If that's really the case. Then some of those staff guys should obviously give room to younger and more eager persons. gba & nds hacking and homebrew is not that relevant nowadays.

To an extent, however I am still up for the GBA and DS libraries and when I was doing things like http://gbatemp.net/threads/links-to-various-gbatemp-features-over-the-years.352851/ I would look up devs and they were nowhere to be seen for the 3ds (or they migrated to andrios*). The Nintendo first party stuff/captive dev seems to be basically the same as the GBA and DS, maybe with a slight lick of paint, so I can see similar things happening which I would welcome, however it did not and I am left with the Nintendo first party offerings, and not even the ones I liked like Advance Wars, which is as good as nothing at all.

*the rapid slowdown of the DS homebrew releases coincided with a lot of such games and devs looking at IOS, which android has since swallowed, so I do not hold out the most hope for the 3ds homebrew scene either.

Of course the 3DS scene won't be as the DS scene. But we have to be happy and thankful for what we got. It's not much, but it is at least something. Perhaps the 3ds scene can reach gbc levels, atleast... Not too bad imo.

Reactions: zoogie

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not going to diss anybody for making 3ds homebrew, or indeed following it all. However should someone ask me if it is a viable platform for development or is likely to be competitive with contemporary devices (the GBA and DS represented good options for portable devices, even the wii did OK as device to stick under your TV and play emulators on, today there is far more competition which does better still -- nothing is quite as refined as the likes of the original xbox or something but code twice as slow does not matter when the device is ten times as fast).
"But we have to be happy and thankful for what we got."
I like games, I like homebrew, I like emulators. Going where the action is rather than getting scraps is the better plan from where I sit.

"gba & nds hacking and homebrew is not that relevant nowadays."
In terms of volume of news generated then sure, though the ROM hacking for both is probably producing more of merit than the 3ds, and people having DS flash carts to play with the homebrew and emulators from that is doing the 3ds some favours.
On those more eager then we have always recruited from those that do.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
the real reason is it's really hard to follow lately with all the recent developments :(
with the massive influx of new members and contributors we receive hundreds of moderating reports every day and we try to keep up with them (I have had to get into it myself, I dont normally do a lot of moderation but I have had to handle nearly 200 reports over the last week)

as someone suggested above, it would really help if members would whip up quick articles in the user submitted news section to summarize breakthroughs as they unfold

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
I am not going to diss anybody for making 3ds homebrew, or indeed following it all. However should someone ask me if it is a viable platform for development or is likely to be competitive with contemporary devices (the GBA and DS represented good options for portable devices, even the wii did OK as device to stick under your TV and play emulators on, today there is far more competition which does better still -- nothing is quite as refined as the likes of the original xbox or something but code twice as slow does not matter when the device is ten times as fast).
"But we have to be happy and thankful for what we got."
I like games, I like homebrew, I like emulators. Going where the action is rather than getting scraps is the better plan from where I sit.

"gba & nds hacking and homebrew is not that relevant nowadays."
In terms of volume of news generated then sure, though the ROM hacking for both is probably producing more of merit than the 3ds, and people having DS flash carts to play with the homebrew and emulators from that is doing the 3ds some favours.
On those more eager then we have always recruited from those that do.

So, where is the action nowadays then?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure really as there seems to be a lack of a great frontier for handheld computer stuff -- 8 bit and older has long since been done, 16 bit and older was more or less sorted between the DS and PSP last time around and the PSP also took care of a lot of PS1 stuff. Multimedia is largely a sorted problem. After this it gets a bit more sketchy and I am not sure I can convincingly ask a handheld to do stuff that desktop machines/home consoles struggle at. I guess maybe the Saturn and N64, though I am not sure even a small handheld screen will do well for the N64 and most of the games I care to play have since had great remakes. I do hear some good things about the Android GC and Wii emulation capabilities though. The 3ds could probably have some of those with a bit more polish but I am not sure if the effort will be put in to do that -- the GBA, DS and PSP did represent some of the better options for handheld computing at the time.

It seems then that Android has taken over, both on emulation and the sorts of things we saw in homebrew, however it is really quite unrefined every time I go looking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs