So why did GameCube lose the console war back then?

JCCG1989

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I very much doubt that. nintendo consoles are usually slightly underpowered compared to their competitors. nintendo relies more on "gimmick" and their family friendly appeal.

You're wrong then, if you make the slighlest effor to back what you're saying you'll learn that GameCube was tied with Xbox in raw power sense, PlayStation was a very underwhelming machine and it's cpu architecture was just nasty but yeah, the mini-dvd shit was the GameCube coffin (added to poor conectivity).

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You're wrong then, if you make the slighlest effor to back what you're saying you'll learn that GameCube was tied with Xbox in raw power sense, PlayStation was a very underwhelming machine and it's cpu architecture was just nasty but yeah, the mini-dvd shit was the GameCube coffin (added to poor conectivity).
You're only a few hours too late. props on being a pompous ass though.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
I never understood why people had problems with the D-Pad of the GC controller. I hate typing on a tablet or smartphone, but come on, how difficult can it be to distinguish 8 presses on a D-Pad? Most games only used it for the menue (so 4 presses, not 8). I even had no problems pulling off 720° moves in Street Fighter with it (Cap VS SNK 2) and that was before Street Fighter 4 made Special Move execution very easy.

If people wanna complain about D-Pads, how about the one of DS Lite. The GC D-Pad (which is similar to the Wii's) is great.
The face button layout was interesting and made it very easy to remember the functions of buttons, but it was not ideal for all games.
It was always wonky for me with the GC d-pad. When I was a kid, and now. Playing Nightfire, running around, having to switch to tools, like d-pad up for tools, it's so fucking small that you're bound to press right as well, then when you try to change weapons by using left or right on the d-pad, you'll mess up again. Or well, I will :D
At least it's not as inaccurate as the 360 d pad

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
...Another selling point for the ps2 was the controller. Because, the gamecube didn't have a good controller. Everyone copies the playstation controller now these days. The only thing about other companies is that they have better triggers but..that's about it.

Another issue was that the gamecube looks like it was made for babies. All the games were pretty much baby games too. The PS2 just had flat out a lot more better games for it.

wth? the gamecube had the best controller ever, in both form, stick and button placement.
i'm getting a cramp just thinking about holding a ps pad these days...

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The biggest issue with the N64 controller by far was its absolutely dreadful analog stick. It's feels alright and is very accurate when new, but it wears out so fast that before you know it you're getting blisters trying to use the damn thing. Other than that however, I don't see the hate. The shape is weird, but the buttons and their layout feel great.

I actually agree. The N64 controller always got shit for having the design of 3 nubs for two hands, but the fact of the matter is there were never (as far as I know or ever played) any titles that required you to have access to both the D-Pad and the joystick (and by extension L and Z), it was always one setup or the other, with the vast majority having you place your left hand on the middle nub with the Z trigger and Joystick.

Beyond that, it didn't having a right analog stick for the camera, but for how primitive the 3D was at the time, the fact of the matter is that most of the time, the C-Buttons actually worked just fine for controlling the camera.

My only real complaint for that controller and when it was released is as you said, the joystick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those...