So....who will be buying the Motion Plus?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by crezwell, Apr 20, 2009.

Apr 20, 2009
  1. crezwell
    OP

Member crezwell GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    As the title says, what do u think?
    Release date is early-June, wii sports resort comes out 24th July, so what are we suppose to be using it for for nearly two months anyway?
    I dont think i'll be picking it up, last thing i need is another add-on with limited usage (as in game releases). I just cant see third party developers picking this up. Theyre already losing money thru sales, so if a game limits to a smaller audience then itll sell even worse. And if a game allows for the option of with or without, then i dont think third parties wil bother putting the WITH in.
    So what do think? And what games that are confirmed and in development to use this are u looking forward to?

edit - I did try and add a poll but doesnt seem to have worked!!!

2. Im bored

Newcomer Im bored Advanced Member

United States
    I think right now its a NO for me. Like you mentioned all i can use it for is the new wii sports when its released looks like a waste of money right now. just like wii speak is a waste of money since you can only use with the channel and with Animal Crossing, I think that's the only game right now.

3. Rife

Newcomer Rife Advanced Member

United States
    I know of at least one third party game that will use it: the Conduit. At least that's what they said in one of their press releases, but I forget when that game is supposed to come out.

4. ddp127

Member ddp127 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    probably not, but mayby if some good games come out, or if there comes a nice homebrew which uses it...

edit: thought again, i will buy it when dealextreme starts to sell them cheap [​IMG]

5. etrigan

Newcomer etrigan Member

United States
    I'll be getting it. Why not? Can't be that expensive. [​IMG]

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Others seem to be hinting at an N64 expansion pack style event (most things still work but at a reduced functionality).

Personally I will be waiting on hackers (or trying it myself) and homebrew to see where it goes. IF they ship with games in a similar idea to the expansion packs or good third party replacements appear then things may change.

7. EvanUnisil

Member EvanUnisil GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Tiger Woods, Grand Slam Tennis is all I know right now.

Why do you think third parties don't make any money? All the hardcore gamers just download them and don't buy. But hey I'm just as guilty as the next guy. *sigh*

8. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    maybe later it'll be funny when i get it cos you plug it into the chuck port than you can plug the chuck into the back of it. but i have the nyko cordless chuck adapter so i'll have to 1st plug motionplus in THAN the adapter into the back of that. it'll pretty much turn my mote into a damn light saber with all the shit plugged into it! [​IMG]

9. madeirabhoy

Member madeirabhoy GBAtemp Fan

i thought it had been said clearly by the makers of conduit that they WERE NOT implementing it.

10. EvanUnisil

Member EvanUnisil GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    You're absolutely right, I just found a story to it. Apparently it was announced about a month ago but I haven't been following the game much.

It would've been pretty useless though, even if they had added melee weapons for it. The melee weapons would've been pretty crappy for those who didn't have MotionPlus.

11. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    If it's reported to be good enough and if it isn't too expensive

12. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    It seems to me that is was a mistake on Ninty's part not to make it backward compatible with older games. Like, have a switch on it or something to go to "legacy mode" and act like a standard Wii mote.

Of course, it seems that now that they are raking in cash, they're doing a lot less thinking lately.

13. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    That is simply not true. Virtua Tennis 2009 is said to make AWESOME use of the Motionplus, all previews are raving about it, and it's being released in May, long before the actual peripheral. Then there's Tiger Woods 10 and Grand Slam Tennis both coming on June 16, both before Wii Sports Resort. And then there's still Wii Sports resort itself, which will cost a fair 49 bucks with the Motionplus included.
    A seperate Motionplus will cost you 19 bucks, which certainly isn't too expensive.
    Admittedly, that selection of games is quite one-sided, but still, it's four compatible games available right at launch, that's four times more than anyone expected after last E3. And the next E3 will be right after the launch of the Motionplus, I'd be surprised if they won't show at least one GREAT title that'll make use of it.

Seriously, if you don't want decent motion controls, why did you purchase the Wii in the first place? It's pretty much the only thing that makes the system special in any way.
    While the Motionplus may be ugly and Nintendo won't give it away for free, it'll finally be able to deliver the gaming experience people have been expecting before everyone came to the conclusion that the Wiimote actually sucks hard.
    If no one buys the Motionplus, developers won't put loads of money into developing games that make good use of the Motionplus, risking low sales at the same time because those games would only appeal to the few people who actually bought the device. Do you want to be stuck with the same shitty waggle controls for the rest of this generation?

19 bucks are a steal for a device that hopefully will make many Wii games a LOT more awesome than they have been to date.

14. crezwell
    OP

Member crezwell GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    The thing with the Motion Plus is it isnt just 19 bucks/pounds, for added fun u need to get two of the bloody things.
    If the tennis games come out with as much praise as the hands-on have then i may be forced to change my mind (and get ONE), but other than that i cant see anything worth the purchase yet, or any other genres apart from sports and swordplay that will benefit, or am i being narrow minded? Wii Resort, well we all know why people want that game, and it aint for the frisbee flinging!!!
    As for Tiger Woods, ive played real golf and im fairly shit, so im not sure i want 1:1 controls to show how bad i am. [​IMG]
    Itll only take one game to come out for me to change tack tho, and that be Fight Night.

15. gblock247

Member gblock247 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm just hoping the Big N doesn't use WSR to implement some sort of new update blocking stuff, with it being a hyped game, that's the only thing that keeps me from buying it day 1, until it's confirmed that there's no major "homebrew/hack blocking" firmware update.

16. EnigmaXtreme

Member EnigmaXtreme GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    I highly doubt that man, as for buying MotionPlus, ill probably buy it bundled with Wii Sports Resort

17. nutella

Member nutella Low Glycemic Index

Australia
    i cant bring myself up to buy something that should have been included in the first place.

18. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    how should you know it should have been there the first place?

19. elfsander

Member elfsander GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    The technology (sp?) was way to expensive when the Wii was released.

And yes, Wii Sports Resort looks nice. So Ill get it

20. katrem

Newcomer katrem Advanced Member

Netherlands
    If the games supporting it are good enough I'll buy it. I still think Wii Sports is fun, especially with friends over, so I'll probably get Wii Sports Resort.