So what's with this Custom IOS37 rev 02...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Brian117, Jul 26, 2008.

Jul 26, 2008
  1. Brian117
    OP

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I am a complete nub when it comes to this custom IOS crap, but I to are looking for a way to play backups without an expensive plastic modchip, But I have known for a long time about that Custom IOS37 rev 02 deal, and the description of it says that it can boot from rewritable disks, but then again it says it can only boot hombrew...Now that I don't understand, what homebrew could you possibly boot from a disc? Unless it's talking about burning a, let's say guitarfun, so do you burn the guitarfun.wad onto the disk and it will boot from the Disc Channel after installing the custom firmware?

2. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    It can see non-original DVDs if you have a modchip. You can use it to fit 4.7GB of roms onto a DVD and play them in an emulator.

Marcan is releasing a dvd-r library soon, so that DVDs can be read on a system without a chip. No backup loader yet.

3. aZnXrAvEr

Member aZnXrAvEr GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I am not completely sure either... Please correct me if I'm wrong... but I believe that it lets homebrew access the disc drive. So for example, you can put many roms on a dvd and have an emulator load games from the disc.

4. Livin in a box

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    You can only use it to play ROM's. Until waninkoko (or someone else) releases the thing that enables you to play DVD-R's without a chip, it is impossible.

5. Brian117
    OP

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Ahh, ok. Thanks. only 3 posts and that helped a lot. So what it does is just plays roms from a rewritable disk, which can be used for a emulator WITH the help of a modchip?

6. Livin in a box

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    I don't think you need a modchip, but i'm not sure.

7. samsam12

Banned samsam12 Test

United States
    yes

8. aZnXrAvEr

Member aZnXrAvEr GBAtemp Regular

United States
    No, I don't think a is modchip required. And it's not just for roms... I believe other homebrew can be created, like a media player for playing .avi files from the disc or something.

9. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Yes, as of right now, you need a modchip. More people need to read my posts.

10. mwaddoups

Newcomer mwaddoups Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Does the IOS contain language information - could this be used to change the language of Japanese Wiis, or is that data stored somewhere else in the Wii?

11. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    no it cant be used for that, i think the language is coded into the NAND and not the IOS

12. jhoff80

Member jhoff80 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Another dumb question. Does it allow trucha signed discs to work again, if you updated to the new firmware? I've got a "Rock Band songs" modded version of Guitar Hero 3 that I'd love to play again without having to load it up in GeckoOS every time.