So, what's up with SS3D and GW/PastaCFW?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by d0k3, May 26, 2015.

1. d0k3
    OP

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Gambia, The
    We all know that it happens: After booting up Gateway / PastCFW on a N3DS, super stable 3D no more works. Temporarily fixing it is just a minor nuisance, as it only requires you to close and open the lid.

What I'm interested in is, what is the technical reason behind the SS3D failure? In fact, any information helps!

Some more information: For GW, I always saw the SS3D failure as (unavoidable) collateral damage, as GW is closed source and (supposedly) does a lot of stuff in the background. The same can't be said for PastaCFW, though. PastaCFW, only patches two adresses in memory - that should be pretty precise and having the same "collateral damage" as GW just seems strange. With other words: the sig checks are at these two memory adresses, how can SS3D also be controlled from that?

So, any ideas?

2. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    I don't think it's the sig checks causing the issue, it's probably the soft reboot not being handled right. Just a wild guess.

d0k3 and Kafke like this.
  3. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    yeah karl3ds people said they encountered and fixed the issue i think, i guess gw didn't think it was worth the time trying to fix it.

Kafke likes this.
  4. Kafke

Kafke GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2009
    United States
    As Zoogie said, it's likely an issue with the soft rebooting of the system. IIRC, people mentioned that simply sleeping the console fixes the issue (albeit temporarily). So I'm guessing it just doesn't boot properly when reloading with the patches. If I had to explicitly say, it's probably something that's booted along with the rest of the system, and when you reboot, the SS3D doesn't boot and thus has issues. Sleeping the system and waking it would normally do that boot process for SS3D, and thus would 'fix' the issue.

So it doesn't seem as if the patching broke it, but the rebooting.

5. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    There's a coprocessor that handles this. When launching the patched firm the launcher doesn't reset that coprocessor, which leaves it hanging in a weird state.

d0k3 likes this.
  6. d0k3
    OP

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Gambia, The
    That's a very plausible explanation! I still wonder, why doesn't it happen in NTR CFW? I guess it's possible that NinjHax is the culprit after all.

7. CIAwesome526

CIAwesome526 Im ugly and im proud

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    nope. i used LoZ: OoT originally and now MSET, both still cause this problem.

Kafke and ComeTurismO like this.