So whats the deal with Sky3DS and Fire Emblem/potential future games?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by guitarheroknight, Aug 4, 2015.

1. guitarheroknight
    OP

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    I vaguely remember reading something on the web regarding it but I can really seem to recall it. It was some sort of talk about a new security Nintendo implemented preventing Sky to run Fire Emblem If and possibly upcoming games. Any Ideas?

2. Neru

Neru GBAtemp Fan

Feb 11, 2015
    United States
    Fire Emblem? Woah, someone should test out that new animal crossing game to see it that works.

3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I believe it's either a problem with the ROM or the template Sky3DS is providing. Chances are that the Unknown ID they calculated is incorrect, hence the cartridge can't serve the ROM properly. The situation will be resolved eventually, I don't think it's a new and miraculous AP measure, but I guess we'll see. I'm asssuming you're talking about Fire Emblem if, yes?

4. Hopeful Death

Hopeful Death Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    The problem persists with both private headers and personal rom dumps so I would be inclined to rule out a problem with the rom or template. And just that if it was a simple template problem it probably wouldn't take over a month to fix.

5. Disco

Disco GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2006
    Croatia
    Croatia
    Woah...didn't know this.... But they will probably crack this, like they did with cryptofix ;)

I tried english menu patched one, on emunand 9.5 and it works fine.

Last edited by Disco, Aug 4, 2015
  6. guitarheroknight
    OP

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    If they could Im sure they would release a proper template by now but instead theyre suggesting that you use Pasta and firmlaunch :blink:

7. WulfyStylez

WulfyStylez SALT/Bemani Princess

Nov 3, 2013
    United States
    New games use new antipiracy checks which all sky3ds carts cannot (and will never) pass. These are enabled by the flags at 0x1FE in the NCSD header. FE:IF and the new Animal Crossing both use these new checks, but whoever dumped AC did a shit job by actually zeroing those bits (and consequently invalidating the entire NCSD header, smh.)

I haven't looked into it as far as I'd like to yet, but I'm under the impression these checks come from brand new hardware responses. Think AP2.5 on 360, except a bit tougher since carts are pretty much a black box compared to DVD drives. Sky3ds only ever existed because the protocol on 3DS carts is so simple and has relatively minimal security. Protocol-level (i.e. not just crypto) cart security like this should keep these cart emulator devices away from new games for a good while, thankfully.

8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Finally a response from someone who actually sounds like he knows what he's talking about.
    Sky3DS green button confirmed, I guess?

Lucifer666 and Zidapi like this.
  9. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Uggghhhh AP 2.5 and XGD3 were nightmares when the new wave DVD's were coming with them luckily C4EVA is a fucking genius.

10. guitarheroknight
    OP

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    This is what I was looking for, thanks a bunch!

Lucifer666 likes this.
  11. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    That kind of sucks. I like keeping all my games in box and use my own dumps on my Sky =/

12. nccom

nccom GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2006
    Estonia
    Never say never. Current sky3ds can't pass that and since they probably contain non-updatable ASIC they won't pass in the future too...but new hardware revision might do that.

13. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    It's what we used to have to do on the DSi before the cards became updateable.

14. gldoorii

gldoorii Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2013
    United States
    Coconut Creek, Florida
    So, basically for someone new to all this... the Sky3DS will work with certain games, but not for others, and will most likely not work with newer games?

15. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    Correct. The current Sky3DS works with 99% of 3DS ROMs, they're going to have to update their hardware if they want to maintain their compatibility claims.

Yeah, it's nice to see Nintendo finally starting to tackle the Sky3DS.

16. Psi-hate

Psi-hate GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    It bothers me though that Sky3ds is really easy to block anyway but Nintendo is starting to use very basic maneuvers to stop it. Several Devs had said that Sky3ds doesn't copy a cart 100% and even the gateway diagnostics agree that it's not a real cart. By blocking some new roms, it still makes older roms accessible. Nintendo is confusing sometimes. :wacko:

17. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    At least they're starting to take a stand against the Sky3DS. Makes me wonder if a full block of the Sky3DS is actually possible now if they have to resort to a header value to check if it's legit or not.

18. lisreal2401

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    Even without a full block on any games - new releases being unbootable will certainly reduce the value of the cart for some.

19. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    that would be a nightmare for everyone if each game has a unique header that can't be spoofed or modified sure you could play offline but online play would be impossible.

20. Blue Lamb

Blue Lamb GBAtemp Regular

Apr 21, 2007
    United States
    Is the Gateway 3DS not in the same boat? What makes it different from the Sky?