So what type of players would enjoy Dark Souls?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I saw the news, "Dark Souls Remastered for Nintendo Switch, coming soon." I know it is a popular game since it has two sequels, but the question I wanna ask is what kind of game is it and who is it for? I never played one or had intentions of doing so, but I guess is cause I don't know enough about it honestly. Besides the common obvious mean of "Dark Souls is too hard" or maybe complex for some not really invested in deep customization systems some rpg games lack, I just was curious if I would find a reason to enjoy it that may consider the purchase.

Once again I'm asking questions that may sound probably dumb to others but is just to explore new avenues of games that I was too reluctant to bother. I usually stick with games I know well, platforming action, some case of adventure without too open world, arcade based gameplay action without too much restrictions over prolong periods of time, some types of Jrpg, so with various games coming, i want the chance to expand not only the switch system games i have but also possible games that I could have missed out on cause of well... previously mentioned reasons. I get it, sounds like excuses but if you been me for so long, paying full $60 price for games and being disappointed, skeptical ideas will be relevant. :unsure:

blackwrensniper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say it's for a gamer that want to be challenged. Not just because the game is difficult but because it's the type of game that demands patience from its player. Its mechanics are not necessarily obvious, and that can lead to a surprisingly steep learning curve for a lot of people. First time I played a Souls game (Demon's) it was stunning to me how challenging the first area was, not because it was hard (though it is in its own way) but because looking back on it you just lack an understanding of how to play the game the way it CAN be played.

I'd suggest picking one up and taking your time with it. Stay off Wiki's when playing, try to beat the game with no help from strangers and just find out if that appeals. Give it an honest attempt and have fun with it, they are tremendously rewarding games if you take the journey and still fantastic regardless. Ultimately though, you need to be ready for the journey; they can be frustrating at first but each one will naturally feel easier and easier.

You really do git gud.

Reactions: EyeZ

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I played (and still haven't completed it yet) Dark soul 3 on PS4.

It's not really "hard", it's more designed as "easy to die".
you'll end up dying a lot, and I think that's the purpose of the game.
But in the end, it's not a game you learn to play, it's more a game you learn "what to do by memory".

The exp is stocked as items, if you die you lose your exp points and have to find your previous dead body location to get your cumulated exp back. else, if you dies before finding it then you just have to stock up again.
with enough exp point, you can exchange it to level up.

I'm playing it like "master your memory, remember which button to press at which time". it's more a Simon type game. you know, the musical memory game you have to press in correct order, well, Dark soul plays the same : remember what to do in correct order, then die until you find and remember the button to press to advance in the story map up to next check point, repeat....

There is a exp/leveling, and weapon crafting feature, but I'm sure I miss its purpose. I also don't understand how to cast magic (maybe I'm missing things/items/power) and randomly set points to my character's sheet.
I don't find how useful these are. I just depend on basic leveling = more HP for you, killing enemies faster.
I'm sure I'm not playing the way it was designed to, I just didn't understand all the character's customization and just play with linear level up as my main way of getting better and stronger. Maybe starting with DS3 is the issue and previous game explained better what you had to do to upgrade, and how to play.

it was hard (though it is in its own way) but because looking back on it you just lack an understanding of how to play the game the way it CAN be played.
Maybe it's not me then. Like you mentioned, it lack an explanation to tell you how to play. I felt like I did things without knowing what I was supposed to do.

I don't know how long the game is, nor how far I am in the story. It's said to be either "fast to complete or deep if you get the time to do everything", but I played 50h and feel like I'm only at world 2... (out of ? I don't know how many map there are. I killed 2 big boss). I also don't feel the "story can be deep", I don't feel like there's really a story. it's just hack and slash and survive. just try and try again every possible movement to advance.

In the end, I don't find it very interesting. it's probably the way I play it. or it's designed to be like this, I'm not sure.
if you like repetitive and challenging games, and you have perseverance, you might like it. (imagine a meat boy type game, but in 3D)
try it, only you can see if you like that game or not.
Too bad there aren't more Demos for games. 60$€ for a game you'll not like is very discouraging to buy. you might enjoy it, but people fear they won't and don't buy...
I hesitated between Dark soul or Bloodborn. I wasn't sure I'd like it and ended never buying it, then a friend gifted Dark Soul III to me. I think I did good not to buy any.

Last edited by Cyan,

blackwrensniper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But in the end, it's not a game you learn to play, it's more a game you learn "what to do by memory".
This is more or less true except for the last part. Souls games are most certainly an acquired skill but it can be hard to really notice if you've only played a single game in the series. You get a feel for the timing and rhythm the combat system has, you learn why and when to use a weapon one handed or two handed. You might even learn how to stop hiding behind a shield or how to effectively parry and certainly you will feel more confident with each sous game or with any new build or weapon. It all carries from game to game but I can certainly remember when I felt like a good chunk of it was memorization... it's just not quite that.

There is a exp/leveling, and weapon crafting feature, but I'm sure I miss its purpose. I also don't understand how to cast magic (maybe I'm missing things/items/power) and randomly set points to my character's sheet.
I don't find how useful these are. I just depend on basic leveling = more HP for you, killing enemies faster.
I'm sure I'm not playing the way it was designed to, I just didn't understand all the character's customization and just play with linear level up as my main way of getting better and stronger. Maybe starting with DS3 is the issue and previous game explained better what you had to do to upgrade, and how to play.
Next time you play take note of the Explanation button in your stat page, it's not totally obvious it's there but if you read through everything you will probably understand a lot more of what the stats do. As for magic, you need to use catalysts appropriate to the school of magic you are trying to use and you need to attune a spell at a bonfire, which requires more knowledge of your stats.

I don't know how long the game is, nor how far I am in the story. It's said to be either "fast to complete or deep if you get the time to do everything", but I played 50h and feel like I'm only at world 2... (out of ? I don't know how many map there are. I killed 2 big boss). I also don't feel the "story can be deep", I don't feel like there's really a story. it's just hack and slash and survive. just try and try again every possible movement to advance.
The story is mostly buried in item descriptions, but yeah it's fantastic. A master class of subtle design that lets you feel more like a historian than somebody getting handed all the easy answers.

Reactions: Cyan

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I like them because they don't spell everything out for you or hold your hand all the way through like most modern games.
I've platinumed Demon's Souls, Dark 1-3 and Bloodborne, and none of them are hard really. It's all discovery, which is also very appealing to me in gaming.

Reactions: Stephano

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Dark Souls, what a gem of a game.

Where to start? @blackwrensniper has a very good description which i couldn't possibly top.

I've been playing it for 4 years now, practically every day, for me, it has everything i feel that a great game should have has.

My family say i have an addiction they're probably right, but seriously, play it, it truly is a masterpiece.

Reactions: blackwrensniper

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Very skill-based game with the best and most challenging bosses in gaming history.

No hand holding, rewards exploration and if you don't use a guide, very challenging in every perspective and therefore rewarding.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The exp is stocked as items, if you die you lose your exp points and have to find your previous dead body location to get your cumulated exp back. else, if you dies before finding it then you just have to stock up again.
with enough exp point, you can exchange it to level up.

I'm playing it like "master your memory, remember which button to press at which time". it's more a Simon type game. you know, the musical memory game you have to press in correct order, well, Dark soul plays the same : remember what to do in correct order, then die until you find and remember the button to press to advance in the story map up to next check point, repeat....

Maybe it's not me then. Like you mentioned, it lack an explanation to tell you how to play. I felt like I did things without knowing what I was supposed to do.

In the end, I don't find it very interesting. it's probably the way I play it. or it's designed to be like this, I'm not sure.
if you like repetitive and challenging games, and you have perseverance, you might like it. (imagine a meat boy type game, but in 3D)
try it, only you can see if you like that game or not.
Too bad there aren't more Demos for games. 60$€ for a game you'll not like is very discouraging to buy. you might enjoy it, but people fear they won't and don't buy...
I hesitated between Dark soul or Bloodborn. I wasn't sure I'd like it and ended never buying it, then a friend gifted Dark Soul III to me. I think I did good not to buy any.

No offense mate but you sound like you're awful at the game and you've totally missed the point.

The lore in this game is FANTASTIC. You'll spend hours afterwards exploring specific meanings in regards to bosses and piecing together the story. Miyazaki said he took inspiration from when he used to read english medi evil novels but couldn't properly translate them so had pieces missing.. he lets the gamer fill in those gaps.

The gameplay and combat is TIGHT. Like if you die, most of the time other than a few really poor boss designs [bed of chaos], its your fault.

You're genuinely scared before each boss. You can't just save and keep re-trying. If you use that expensive rare resin on a boss and still die, you can't use it again. etc.

Weapons for the most point are down to what feels better. There are a few better weapons but nearly ANY weapon can be used to complete the game.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm sure I don't play the way it's supposed to.
Like you mentioned, there are resin, but I never used one. in fact, I never use any item, because either I fear to miss one when I'll need it, or I don't know their purpose and never try to learn what it does. some items are even not usable at all, or doesn't seem to have any use other than having a story description.
some description are sometime not very understandable.

Like I said, I only depend on my player's level to become better. I'm probably not doing what I could to prevent death. I think I just go and "don't care if I die, I'll die and redo it anyway, if not now it will be in 5 mins"

Last edited by Cyan,

MercilessDeth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Souls series actually started with Demon's Souls and then there's Dark Souls 1-3 and Bloodborne. And the series is actually a bit of a spiritual successor to a series called King's Field.

Anyway, they're often billed as difficult games, but I would prefer the description 'punishing'. They definitely penalize you for rushing through areas, not keeping a guard up for traps, and being impatient during combat. Unlike everybody else's recommendation, I would say definitely do visit a wiki guide just for the basics. Aside from the controls, there is not much of a tutorial in any of the games and it's tough to figure out how to use spells, which stats to focus on for your character build, etc. without a little bit of a primer.

The bosses definitely can be tough but most have learnable patterns like an old school game. And if you're having a lot of trouble with one there is an online cooperative (and competitive!) element to the game as well.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I do think some people underestimate the difficulty of Souls games.
It's pretty blatantly wrong to say it's just not traditionally difficult. There are a great number of bosses that require superb execution to defeat. Well timed dodges, parries, and even attacks. Memorizing the attacks and patterns is absolutely a part of it, but even knowing exactly how a boss will act and how you should react doesn't mean you can actually do it.

The environment itself is definitely more of just caution and learning, but excellent execution is also a strong benefit.

Anyway it's definitely for a more dedicated gamer who is willing to learn proper execution, as well as be persistent and not deterred by death. Death is merely a lesson on what not to do again. The game is very rewarding when you accomplish something. It always feels awesome to conquer an area or beat a boss. Not to mention it also really, really rewards you for exploration.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is not much i can say about the series that hasn't been said already but i'll through this in.
At first, the games can be pretty daunting. After a lot of time and patience however, they can become jokes.

Here is a good example that doesn't spoil anything.
Final boss of Dark Souls difficulty:
Do you have help? Yes - Easy
Can you parry? Yes - Easy
Can you parry? No - You're Screwed

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I never tried the online mode (I disabled it on the first time I launched the game) because it said : random other player can come to your game and kill you without reason.... do you want that?
Why anyone would want that?

I saw there's a password mode, is that a way to lock who can come to your game ?
you just give the password to friends to allow friend only to visit?
The friend who gifted me that game also bought it for himself, but he didn't start it yet. I might help him get start if we can host/connect a party.

There's also a mini-tutorial to "write message for other players to read", but as I'm playing offline I probably miss other player's help.

Last edited by Cyan,

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never tried the online mode (I disabled it on the first time I launched the game) because it said : random other player can come to your game and kill you without reason.... do you want that?

I saw there's a password mode, is that a way to lock who can come to your game ?
It's more for the thrill of the encounter. When it comes to random encounters, i myself am not the biggest fan.

Fight-clubs on the other hand..... those are where it's at.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

It's an additional challenge to the game. Instead of having to fight the same old enemies all the time, there's a chance you might have to fight against another player. And they can't just "kill you", since they're always going to be of a similar level as you are, so you have a fighting chance. It's basically half the reason Souls games are played for so long, because invasions and PvP is a huge part of the game that's nothing like PvE.

And the password mode is just for easy summoning friends, invasions aren't blocked (or, at least, they weren't in Dark Souls 3).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
thank you for the info that it's same level players only. I thought any level could do it.
if it's not too often, I might test it. if I don't like it, or it's too much then I can just disable it again.

I didn't know the password didn't block the invasion. I thought it was a way to block it while still being connected with others.

Last edited by Cyan,

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Tbh you could probably beat the game and only ever be invaded once or twice. It's pretty rare. But the game loses a ton of its soul when you play offline. The game really feels active and alive when you're connected online simply because you'll see the ghostly figures of other players in the same area as you, playing through just as you are. Or bloodstains everywhere showing how people died. Not to mention the tons of messages people leave, which are typically just funny, traps or in many cases very helpful. It's sad not to play online because all of that just really, really adds to the experience of the game even if they all sound pretty minor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"