So what games are potential fan translation targets?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Jiro2, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Jiro2
    OP

Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    We all know the Wii-U doesn't have a lot of games. Is there anything which would even make sense to hope someone would fan translate someday, or is everything that we would reasonably want available in English already?

The only game I can think of that is not translated and which fans would want is Yakuza 1-2, which would be a massive project and probably not very inviting for a fan translator (I have no idea if the PS2 scripts are close enough to use.) Is there anything else?

(And does the ability to play backups even allow the play of modified backups such as translations yet?)

2. aclearersky

aclearersky Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2013
    United States
    shouldnt this be in the games section of the forum? but id like to Dragon x

3. oji

oji GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2012
    Russia
    In Soviet Russia you're the Location
    Romance of the Three Kingdoms & Taiko no Tatsujin.

4. Xirix

Xirix GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2007
    Wasn't there a Project Zero (Fatal Frame) Wii U game that's only in japanese?

5. DarkKaine

DarkKaine GBAtemp Regular

Dec 1, 2014
    Netherlands
    It's getting localized on October 30th, so not worth it.

6. Jiro2
    OP

Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    If you mean Dragon Quest X, that's an online multiplayer game. We don't have the servers in America, so translating it would be impossible.

ByteBite likes this.
  7. Sumea

Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Aug 16, 2008
    Finland
    Turku
    It is getting localized.
    This is actually one thing I want to make a point on, that is me being pleased. With Both 3DS and Wii U, need for fan translations is rather minimal, because most of the important games are getting localized. There really is indeed a lack of targets for fan translations; Even senran kagura games are being localized officially. This is overall good thing.
    Now I am not saying there is NO targets for this, few exist, and will exist in near future for sure. But it is nice that the targets are not that numerous and nintendo especially steps this up for us. I would say for longest time fan lament over Layton vs. Wright not being localized existed and then nintendo itself steps up and says "We will localize and publish it then!" - It was somewhat late but I always think it's better late than never.