Hacking So what exactly is SNEEK and UNEEK!

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering what the heck it is and why should I be using it? I've heard much about it but never got a solid answer as to what it is and why I should be using either of them? Could some one please cut right to the point as to what SNEEK+DI and UNEEK is and why should I use either of them and what are the benefits of doing so? feel free to post links and send me in the right direction thanks!

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SNEEK redirects all NAND access on a Nintendo Wii to an SD card or USB device. This makes it virtually impossible to brick your Wii, as your real NAND cannot be accessed.

Reactions: c4p0

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Modmii can set up Sneek or Uneek for you.

Sneek allows running a virtual Wii from your SD card.
Uneek allows running a virtual Wii from your USB HDD.

In combination with switchmii ( switch2Uneek ) you can have as many 'Wii's' on your HDD as you desire as long as you have enough space.
Why?

Image having a Wii on HDD full of Wiiware and another full of Nintendo VC games, and another with all Sega VC games etc....
It also allows multiple save games for games ( every Virtual Wii holds it's own.

You can use it for testing purposes, You REAL Wii is completely save as everthing is run from SD or HDD storage. ( complete virtual Wii only Wii hardware is used)

You can run your games from the Disc channel in Sneek/ UNeek.
You don't need any cIOS installed it's a system on its own, everything works like a real Wii, but it's all virtual.

Unlimited Wii storage blocks for your virtual Wii's ( as long as you have enough space on you SD/ HDD )

NANDS soon to be cross compatible with .wbfs files, Postloader2, and maybe mighty channel ( mainly for multiple NAND selection )

This means you can HAVE EVERYTHING that is available on WII is right under you fingertips.

Why don't you try it? It's free and you have nothing to loose only to gain.

Reactions: c4p0

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've thought about it and it does sound like alot of fun, I've been using the CIOS and IOS set up with my external HDD to play wbfs games for years now with out any problems. I have the black wii so I won't be able to play gamecube or wii backups though I'd love nothing more then to play Gamecube games again I have allot of backups. I think I'll use UNEEK instead of SNEEK, which is the preferred version? and will I have to uninstall the patched CIOS and IOS files and reset my wii to normal to use either SNEEK or UNEEK properly?

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Centrix said:
I think I'll use UNEEK instead of SNEEK, which is the preferred version?

latest version (169)

QUOTE(Centrix @ Sep 13 2011, 05:52 PM) and will I have to uninstall the patched CIOS and IOS files and reset my wii to normal to use either SNEEK or UNEEK properly?

no , sneek does not use original nand

Augusta

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
zizer said:
Centrix said:
I think I'll use UNEEK instead of SNEEK, which is the preferred version?

latest version (169)

QUOTE(Centrix @ Sep 13 2011, 05:52 PM) and will I have to uninstall the patched CIOS and IOS files and reset my wii to normal to use either SNEEK or UNEEK properly?

no , sneek does not use original nand

So if you one day say "the heck with (uneek/sneek/di??)" All you do is throw your usb/sd out the window and you're back to your softmodded wii? don't have to add anything back remove anything? simple as that?

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
yes, it's as simple as that. there is nothing installed on your wii nand, as it uses the bootmii ios or bootmii as boot 2.

Augusta

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
obcd said:
yes, it's as simple as that. there is nothing installed on your wii nand, as it uses the bootmii ios or bootmii as boot 2.

Welp, I'm convinced. Is this still being updated/bugs or is this final bug free?

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
there will always be some bugs with it. It is not perfect, but it is great. Plus, it is great for if you ever care to take your wii games and your saves to someone elses house who has a wii but you don't want to bring your whole wii with you. You can just take your hard drive and SD card.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
obcd said:
To be more correct, you could say that there is ALMOST nothing installed on your wii nand...you still need to have bootmii installed. And if it has to be installed as IOS, it's also best to have a way to boot it upon booting (which requires priiloader). But other than that, everything's on the SD and/or USB, yes.
smile.gif

AugustaWelp, I'm convinced. Is this still being updated/bugs or is this final bug free?
As DeadlyFoez said: "bug free" is an utopia. But in terms of the thing being stable...you bet. I've been using it for over a year, and aside from a few microphone problems on the other USB port (which got fixed), I haven't suffered a single crash or error caused by it.

(this is, of course, not taking the closed beta modification into account...those things are closed just because there are things still to be fixed).

DaFees

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pardon me for hijacking this thread, but I have a question or two of my own. All this time I've only ever used CFG and I've been happy with it. I've enjoyed the coverflow mode for viewing all my Wii games, and until recently when I found out about postloader 2 I tried using it for everything else, that never really was so successful (.iso forwarders can be picky). I guess what I am asking is, I assume uneek can play wii games, not just WiiWare/VC, yes, but to that end what loaders support it or rather can it be setup similar to CFG. I've always enjoyed CFG for it's simplicity and the fact that it offers parental controls which makes modding Wiis for my friends and family who have children a lot easier.

I mean can uneek offer me a similar setup to what I have now? Plus what about compatibility issues like those you have with CIOSes and IOSes and such. I mean like "oh you need this revision in this base in order to play this game." Do you not have those issues with s/uneek?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
DaFees said:
Pardon me for hijacking this thread, but I have a question or two of my own. All this time I've only ever used CFG and I've been happy with it. I've enjoyed the coverflow mode for viewing all my Wii games, and until recently when I found out about postloader 2 I tried using it for everything else, that never really was so successful (.iso forwarders can be picky). I guess what I am asking is, I assume uneek can play wii games, not just WiiWare/VC, yes, but to that end what loaders support it or rather can it be setup similar to CFG. I've always enjoyed CFG for it's simplicity and the fact that it offers parental controls which makes modding Wiis for my friends and family who have children a lot easier.

I mean can uneek offer me a similar setup to what I have now? Plus what about compatibility issues like those you have with CIOSes and IOSes and such. I mean like "oh you need this revision in this base in order to play this game." Do you not have those issues with s/uneek?

Some clearing up:

U ( USB ) neek/ S ( SD card ) neek is a way of emulating a Wii.
You will need a dump of a Wii's internal Memory ( NAND )

This dump has No requirement of region.
Neek uses this dump to emulate a Wii. It;s completely parrallel to the Real Wii memory so completely save.
All is run from USB drive or SD card.
Hardware of Wii is acceses through Neek.
Using Neek is like using a real Wii with the exception it can load backups, Wiiware etc from HDD.
The Neek Wii memory is ONLY limited by the amount of space you have on your SD/ usb drive! Cool!

NO need for any Cios or other hacks. All is done from the emulator.
Sneek /Uneek feels like a real Wii. It's safe.

You can take your Neek 'wii' to another Wii that has bootmii installed because it's right there on HDD or SD card.
Completely parrallel to a Wii, only hardware of Wii is needed to boot Neek.

You can have as many 'Wii' s on your sd /HDD that you have space for.( multiple NANDS )
you can switch between NANDS using switch2uneek and back to normal nand using switch2real from uneek.

No limit in installable files . Use joyflow, joyloader etc to have easy acces to your games, just like a "normal' usb loader.
Wii game dumps must be in discex format. ( soon wbfs will be supported, so converting will not be needed anymore )
Modmii can extract you Wii game to Discex format.
It is reported that Sneek/ Uneek need at least 1 game in the games folder in discex format.

Wiiware/ VC games do not need converting. They need to be installed to the Neek Nand using Showmiiwads or YAWM.
The latest HBC CANNOT be installed on Uneek NAND. Workaround is the homebrew filter Channel ( wich has more options also )

Uneek / Sneek is a little slower than a real NAND.
Setting up Uneek/Sneek can take some time the first time around. Also first boot takes about 10 minutes. Aftert that is it's about 20 sec. slower than a real Wii on boot time, depending on what's on the Uneek/Sneek NAND.

ANYBODY with a Wii can use Sneek/ or Uneek. ( need bootmii installed, and have to have a compatible SD/ HDD. )
The nand dump can also be used by Might channels etc... because it's just a nand dump.

Add files, games etc with Showmiiwads. This can also decrypt a Bootmii Nand Dump if you want to use your own NAND dump.
You can make a clean nand dump using Modmii.
You can use a nand dump from somebody else but Wiimotes need syncing all the time.
Once again Neek is extremely cool if you like to experiment or if you are a collector.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
a couple of clarifications
biggrin.gif

QUOTE said:
It is reported that Sneek/ Uneek need at least 1 game in the games folder in discex format.
You only need at least 1 game in the games folder in discex format if using sneek+di or uneek+di, regular sneek or uneek don't require a games folder. And if using sneek+di with DML installed, a real wii or gamecube disc needs to be inserted in the Wii

QUOTESetting up Uneek/Sneek can take some time the first time around. Also first boot takes about 10 minutes. Aftert that is it's about 20 sec. slower than a real Wii on boot time, depending on what's on the Uneek/Sneek NAND.
Shouldn't take that long unless it's a fresh NAND created by ModMii (if the NAND was extracted from a full nand dump, all the files have already been expanded so s\uneek doesn't need to spend time doing that on the first boot). And in the v4.7.1 ModMii update I added an enhancement that cuts the time it takes in half, so now it's 2-5 min on the first boot of a ModMii built emulated NAND.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
XFlak said:
a couple of clarifications
biggrin.gif

QUOTE said:
It is reported that Sneek/ Uneek need at least 1 game in the games folder in discex format.
You only need at least 1 game in the games folder in discex format if using sneek+di or uneek+di, regular sneek or uneek don't require a games folder. And if using sneek+di with DML installed, a real wii or gamecube disc needs to be inserted in the Wii

QUOTESetting up Uneek/Sneek can take some time the first time around. Also first boot takes about 10 minutes. Aftert that is it's about 20 sec. slower than a real Wii on boot time, depending on what's on the Uneek/Sneek NAND.
Shouldn't take that long unless it's a fresh NAND created by ModMii (if the NAND was extracted from a full nand dump, all the files have already been expanded so s\uneek doesn't need to spend time doing that on the first boot). And in the v4.7.1 ModMii update I added an enhancement that cuts the time it takes in half, so now it's 2-5 min on the first boot of a ModMii built emulated NAND.

Awesome! And thank you buddy!
( sorry I made the d**n mistakes..lol )

PrimusZa1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tried Uneek for the first time...When you say it can load discs from the disc channel your talking originals right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr