Magus

GBATEMP RPG MANIAC
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
according to someone i know,someone else bricked his wii by playing resorts using the homebrew channel (yes i know,you use the homebrew channel to run a loader but that's what he said so please don't kill me ^__^') and according to him i should install bootmii because i risk a brick just by having the HBC installed

i told him that's a bunch of bullshit and that they probably bricked because they messed up with the wii firmware since resort contains a new update but this still got me a little scared and made me think... what can cause a brick? i know of

1) installing a bad WAD
2) messing up with the firmware
3) disinstalling the system menu WAD? (altough i guess that can be put in 1)

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By playing jump-rope with your Power-Cord.*
happy.gif

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
boot2 and IOS are 2 different things. basically messing up anything in the bootup sequince of the wii up until the system menu or messing up a file that the system menu uses on the main page can cause a brick.

simplified version of how ninty meant it to be
boot1->boot2->system menu IOS->system menu main screen

how lost of people have it
boot1->bootmii->system menu IOS->preloader->system menu main screen

in the second choice, there is bootmii (as boot2) and preloader. both offer a way to inturrupt the sequence and run apps to fix stuff.
banner brick is caused by having everything there just fine and dandy, but one of teh channel banners (hence the name) cant be parsed or displayed correctly by the system menu so it doesnt load.

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Magus said:
1) installing a bad WAD
2) messing up with the firmware
3) disinstalling the system menu WAD? (altough i guess that can be put in 1)
just an addition to your list:
*installation of a faulty system menu theme.
*interrupted ios installation (cioscorp; etc.).

segasaturn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
giantpune said:
boot2 and IOS are 2 different things. basically messing up anything in the bootup sequince of the wii up until the system menu or messing up a file that the system menu uses on the main page can cause a brick.

simplified version of how ninty meant it to be
boot1->boot2->system menu IOS->system menu main screen

how lost of people have it
boot1->bootmii->system menu IOS->preloader->system menu main screen

in the second choice, there is bootmii (as boot2) and preloader. both offer a way to inturrupt the sequence and run apps to fix stuff.
banner brick is caused by having everything there just fine and dandy, but one of teh channel banners (hence the name) cant be parsed or displayed correctly by the system menu so it doesnt load.
Heh, the (IOS) was meant to mean "I couldn't install to boot2, so I had to use the IOS"
Sorry about that..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can...