So we watched Hobbit at school today...

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Enjoyed the film, apart from it sending my eyes staggy after watching it in HFR 3D.... honestly I couldn't focus proper for a couple of hours after it (the booze might not have helped though!)
Glad to have it at home on Blu-Ray, but still my eyes go staggy at the goblin fight scene.... too much CGI there for me - was fun in 3D but a bit of a mess in 2D. Overuse of CGI spoiled it a bit in my opinion - the orcs and urok-hai (sp?) looked a lot meaner in LOTR as they were played by actors - the orcs & goblins on this look like they've just walked off a Shrek set! Even the pale orc looks a big fukkin teddy bear!

Also Middle Earth isn't at war in The Hobbit: the fate of the world doesn't hang in the balance, which makes everything just a bit less urgent...

Ending complaints? Well.. Fellowship's ending wasn't much cop either, but having read the book I think it was a decent place to end, and roughly a third or so the way through so all's good there. Gotta wonder, knowing what's coming next (if they stick to the book, which tbh they already haven't anyway), if the first half of the second film is teet end up being a bit boring too.... Still, I'll be booking my cinema seat on day one again! :D

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was really good in my opinion, although it was too long in some moments. I expected too much from this one, got too hyped, and got disappointed a bit. But still, would watch again and looking forward to the second part.

Pretty much how I felt, but I was a bit more disappointed, long run, than you appear to be--I hope the pacing on the second part is much, much better.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
IT WAS A DISASTER!
everybody was speaking to each other or sleeping etc
[...]
Why do people do that?
Are they stupid?
Do they have problems?
I don't go to cinema anymore because other people can't watch a movie without talking or making noise.
Respect is getting rare these days.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have yet to see the film but if it is anything like LOTR I can see it (it also means I will probably just catch it on TV some point in the future or if I am trapped somewhere without access to my usual level of tech*) -- Mr Tolkien was great for his time but I would argue that, much like most early attempts at things, it has since been surpassed and by some way. If we are heading more into sci fi I would probably do something like compare dune to star wars.

*oh Raspberry Pi XBMC you are going to make travelling so much nicer.

Many people thought "The Hobbit" was slow and boring. However, they most likely did not read the book.

But if I am watching a film I am not reading a book and thus I get to judge it as a film.

For once we get a book adaptation that doesn't get things cut out.

There have been a few books adapted into long form TV shows. I am not sure adaptations need to be scene for scene recreations though.

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Many people thought "The Hobbit" was slow and boring. However, they most likely did not read the book.

Most of Tolkien's works spend a laboriously large amount of time describing every single little detail of a character, scene, bush, etc. A lot of people do find this boring, but that's okay.

To me, this makes the narrative much more immersive and entertaining. "The Hobbit" was a very slow paced movie, but I really enjoyed that because you got to learn a lot of the lore surrounding the universe, and it really showed the depth and complexity of all of the emotions of the characters.

I read the book and liked it, but I was honestly disappointed as I saw the film.
The LOTR films handled the contents of the books(I also read them btw) pretty well, leaving out things that were unneeded or would disturb the pace.
Problem is, there is only one Hobbit book, and it's shorter and less detailed than any of the LOTR books.(Which makes it more digest to read actually)
Which means they had even less content for the Hobbit than for 1 LOTR film.
And they decided to make 2 ~3hrs films out of it.

See the problem there?
They tried to last twice as long with less content.
This creates many problems, and in particular an extremely slow pace.

Now I'm not saying I disliked the film.
I just felt disappointed that they decided to make two films instead of one, thus making it into a slow-paced story, when the book was dense and action-packed.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Really..something is wrong with these people.
Only thing they do is surf thru facebook and nothing else

Yea... definately something wrong with people who have different opinions and interests to your own...:wacko:

Im different tho :( i think thats becouse im a gamer

PS.Im a girl
Second PS. I agree sailing parts of WW was boring but i like the artwork of game ^^

You're "different" because you're a gamer? I dunno... maybe you should just drop the whole angst cliche. Just because you're "different" doesn't make you right...

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
On a coincidental note, I saw that movie as well last night.

It was pretty good. :) Had it described to me as "too slow", or "nothing happens in the first half hour", which meant that it's a faithful reproduction of the book I once read. And I guess it'd needed to be even slower paced, considering this is a single book stretched over...erm...how many movies was Jackson going to make on this one again? :unsure:

The guessing game between Bilbo and Gollum was very good. Perhaps I'm not as hung up over all the fighting the dwarves did (or was it because that wasn't in the book?), but meh...I guess the audience wants to see hordes of orcs slaughtered, so...yeah.

Not sure what that part of Rivendel was supposed to be about. Other than just a chance to throw in some characters for no real reason, that is.

But those are minor complaints. I could say something like "it wasn't what people expected"...but those guys probably never even read the book to begin with.

All in all, I just hope the sequel will have a better climax than what was in the book, because...well...read for yourself:

Smaug gets killed by a single arrow that was fired by a random Elf that just happened to be in the area. I hadn't even anything to do with the dwarves or the journey.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I loved both the book and the movie. I remember the book as starting off slow, the movie wasn't much different there.
I was disappointed by some of the things they cut out in the LOTR movies, like the first time they meet Tom Bombadil(do).
I can't understand how anyone could dislike it unless they simply didn't like the genre. The LOTR movies were some of the best movies ever, and The Hobbit, while not as good, wasn't far behind.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't understand how anyone could dislike it unless they simply didn't like the genre.

I am sure if we went overly specific in the genre thing I am sure we could get there; overly saccharine, long winded, faux medieval Europe... or something, that said it would definitely be the combination of things. I think again it is that they were good for the time and quite worthy of their place in history but the art has progressed in the subsequent decades and as such ascribing them masterpiece status might not be for everybody. That said being as they are might have made them work better as an adaptation where others have faltered.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I am sure if we went overly specific in the genre thing I am sure we could get there; overly saccharine, long winded, faux medieval Europe... or something, that said it would definitely be the combination of things. I think again it is that they were good for the time and quite worthy of their place in history but the art has progressed in the subsequent decades and as such ascribing them masterpiece status might not be for everybody.
Has it? I don't think so.
Sure, there have been other great movies since then, but few are as epic as LOTR was and they are far between. It's not like movies are better now than they used to be. In fact it's quite the opposite.

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lord of the Rings is one of my favorites movie(s), but I really disliked The Hobbit, it was very bloated, the songs were annoying (I know they were in the book, but it's just.. cheesy, LOTR only had one song in it that I know of), and it's just obvious they're trying to make them as long as possible in order to make it a trilogy and squeeze as much cash out of it as possible.

The book was just under 300 pages, yet they're making three 3 hour long movies? That's like half a page per minute of film, and in a book it takes about half a page to describe a scene, e.g. "It was dark and cold outside, there were trees over there, they were facing west, Bilbo was tired" etc,, but it takes one second to show all of that in a movie.

Flood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember we watched the original tron once at school. Most fell asleep or weren't paying attention.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skyrim had a better story.

and more tits.
Well, many fantasy settings are influenced by Tolkien's works

In all fairness, all Lord of the Rings movies are quite boring and utter shit.

It could have been worse, i.e. that horribly done cartoon from the 60s/70s? *Shudder* On the bright side, there are various parodies people made of that on YouTube!

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:rofl2:

Was not expecting this, and, after angrily muttering to myself as I read some of the other posts, it managed to make my day.

Thanks, mate.

Knowing I brightened up one guys day, that, thats what this job is all about.

Well, many fantasy settings are influenced by Tolkien's works

Yep, I understand he pretty much established most of the fantasy genre with things like Orcs, Elves and Dragons going from mythical idiots to actual races and beings.

Trust me, I quite respect with Tolkiens works, its one thing to use all the fantasy cliches, its a WHOLE other thing to CREATE all the fantasy cliches.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The ST version honestly looks like they at least tried lol