Gaming So Ubuntu crashed. Any ideas?

swimmeringer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SO I was just on my computer (dualbooted xp and ubuntu, with xp as my in-case-anything-happens-to-ubuntu os) minding my own business, when I go and play a game with my friend.

I return to my computer and find that i cant run any more programs, i can only do stuff with what i've got open (firefox, pidgin).

I restart my computer and see if that helps.

It doesn't.

I get the black screen of death, and I use my pal's laptop to find a fix. I uninstalled compiz, tried loading it again, and the same thing happened. I reinstalled compiz, and rebooted yet again.

The BSOD is gone. HOWEVER, now just my background shows up and nothing loads at all. No menubars, no second desktop, nothing but my cursor and my background.

Does ANYONE have any ideas on how to fix this? I've tried changing graphics cards (to fix BSOD... no avail), going into safe mode, etc.

Before you ask, yes, i can hit Ctrl+alt+F1 to get to the terminal screen. Ubuntu auto-logs me in when it starts.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Try chaning your xorg.conf to get the vesa drivers back, disable compiz while you're at it as I dunno how well vesa does that
tongue.gif

Sounds like your X server is dead seeing as you can still get a terminal with a fully loaded system (just no 'desktop' right?).

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
This use to happen to me (One of the various reasons I removed Ubuntu of my system). It just sounds like X is growing to big and crashing (Happened to me in Xubuntu and Ubuntu as well so it is not a GNOME problem). I never found a fix so I just installed Debian.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM