So, TPP might be imposed, should we be worried?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember a Torrent-related dude (can't recall his name) that commited suicide because he got caught and he was to pay with prison for life and excesive ammout of money for the books and documents he downloaded. He thought that the fight for a free NET is over and we lost it. And he's right.

You can't ask people to feel empathy or powerless for these things unless they sees it as very neccesary, and that's subjective. We can only hope that most users out there know that these issues are getting tough for us, which is very unlikely.

So what're we to do? Just throw our arms up, and say "screw this, there's no point in trying"? That's what is sounds like :( *Sigh* Mostly, I was just trying to vent and gain an understanding on what we and the Temp are up against. Apologies if it irked ya.

There has to be something that can be done,

Last edited by the_randomizer,

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not my decision to make though, but for those who run/are in charge, I don't know what they're going to do if this bedamned TTP gets passed. I hope it gets a lot of opposition, it's a good idea in some ways I guess,
but very bad for digital rights.
Basically but I2P would be one good option since it is not centralized but who knows

I remember a Torrent-related dude (can't recall his name) that commited suicide because he got caught and he was to pay with prison for life and excesive ammout of money for the books and documents he downloaded. He thought that the fight for a free NET is over and we lost it. And he's right.

You can't ask people to feel empathy or powerless for these things unless they sees it as very neccesary, and that's subjective. We can only hope that most users out there know that these issues are getting tough for us, which is very unlikely.
aaron swartz

Autz

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
aaron swartz

Thanks for info.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So what're we to do? Just throw our arms up, and say "screw this, there's no point in trying"? That's what is sounds like :( *Sigh* Mostly, I was just trying to vent and gain an understanding on what we and the Temp are up against. Apologies if it irked ya.

There has to be something that can be done,

You see, a lot of people have made a lot of more things that we actually do right now, and things are just getting worse on almost every legal front. I'm not saying it was useless or that piracy has just worsened everything (seriously dudes, stop thinking that hacking the console without using illegal videogame copies is not that illegal) but odds against us is being increased with every "victory" of ours. Maybe is a sympthom that we're on the good rail, but time will tell. We can still fight, but is very unlikely we would suceed because more people is less interested on this.

Then again, we can only hope for users. If they sees this as a very important thing to stop, they would find the means to avoid that even if involves hiding on a rock.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for info.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You see, a lot of people have made a lot of more things that we actually do right now, and things are just getting worse on almost every legal front. I'm not saying it was useless or that piracy has just worsened everything (seriously dudes, stop thinking that hacking the console without using illegal videogame copies is not that illegal) but odds against us is being increased with every "victory" of ours. Maybe is a symptom that we're on the good rail, but time will tell. We can still fight, but is very unlikely we would succeed because more people is less interested on this.

Then again, we can only hope for users. If they sees this as a very important thing to stop, they would find the means to avoid that even if involves hiding on a rock.

Again, mostly venting, because seeing this kind of crap irks me a lot, and I would hope people are prepped, but that has been somewhat exacerbated by having a long and stressful day at work, so apologies on my part.

Plaguereign

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The TPP is THE worst piece of legislation that has ever been proposed. It, honestly, scares the shit out of me. Allowing foreign entities to sue the US government? One lawsuit and we will be speaking a new language. Not to mention the implications that have to do with internet service. This is just a fuck you all around bill. Obams supports it, so he must have gotten his pockets lined by some overseas entities. And honestly, he's not going to give a shit. He's on his way out.
And, this election is a farce. Either way, we are screwed. Clinton will take away our means to defend ourselves and trump will exloit this country for all it's worth. It's a sideshow at a bestiality show and, we will be the animals.
Just my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth.

Autz

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Again, mostly venting, because seeing this kind of crap irks me a lot, and I would hope people are prepped, but that has been somewhat exacerbated by having a long and stressful day at work, so apologies on my part.

Well, is not that bad. Knowing how bad the things actually are is a step foward to archieve the required measures. Hoping for users... But don't forget that you are a user. You may have some ideas, but is not about telling how cool the idea is, but actually doing it.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: 🦛 🐦 (🐑🐑) 🦛 🐦 (🐑🐑) 🦛 🐦 🦌🐑 🦛🐦 (🐑🐑)