So, TPP might be imposed, should we be worried?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by the_randomizer, Oct 25, 2016.

1. the_randomizer
    OP

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I don't know a lot about this new trade policy that's been in the works for some time, some things about it do concern me however, notably that laws regarding any kind of modding will be not only criminalized, but many copyright laws will become stricter, fan-created works will be illegal, etc. As a regular on the Temp, I also fear as to what may happen to sites like this, that promote or at least, have resources that assist in modding via legal means, what will happen to sites like here, Hacksden, etc? I mean, surely, these thing have been taken into consideration, maybe I'm blowing the entire TPP out of proportion, I don't know, all I know is I'm worried for the future of this nation, but for the world as a whole.. I just.. maybe I need validation or reassurance, what do you guys think? I hope whoever becomes president shoots it down like SOPA and PIPA, as I personally think this too will greatly limit freedoms we have.

Zero72463 likes this.

2. Zero72463

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    idek tbh.

3. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Yes it is. The TPP will further transfer the negotiation and implementation of trade policy into the hands of a small number of global regulators and bureaucrats, while further reducing the prerogatives of Congress and state legislators in the US. Indeed, citizens of all twelve member nations of the TPP will see trade policy become more remote and unknowable thanks to the TPP.

4. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Venting mostly, just, find it a bit irksome, you know?

So we should be worried? What can we do?

But what can or should we do? What becomes of places like the Temp?

Last edited by the_randomizer, Oct 25, 2016
    Zero72463 likes this.
  5. TheCasketMan

TheCasketMan Keyblade Apprentice

Sep 3, 2011
    United States
    Orlando, FL
    Yes, very worried.

6. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Yes

Force congress to say no

7. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    And how can we do that if those in power refuse to listen to its citizens? Surely, the higher ups who own and run the Temp have taken this into consideration? *sigh*

8. Zero72463

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    WE FUCKING BOYCOTT THE INDUSTRIES UNTIL WE GET WAT WE DEMAAAAAAND! (I am serious though we could boycott Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo and then they would beg congress to deny this so that they get money, just a idea.)

9. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
  10. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    It is possible since the progressive wing of the Democratic Party is against it as is a good sum of the GOP

the_randomizer likes this.
  11. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I know both candidates are against it as well, and I found some petitions too, that and we can write in to our senators, people shouldn't stand for this kind of crap.

12. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Are you sure?

All we can do is voice our opinions. If you're 18 and over, go out and vote for those who are against the TPP, and go and contact your local congressman. Of course, there are corrupt pieces of the U.S. government that might shove bills through no matter what, but those that are elected are supposed to be the voice of the majority, so if they hear enough complaints, it should be their job to protect the citizens. Right?

13. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's Official Axolotl

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your couch
    Should we? nah, since "we" apply to all the gbatemp users and since i live in south america, i will still be able to mod or pirate as much as i want d,:

VinLark likes this.
  14. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    True, the but Temp's server is on US soil as far as I know, so...

No, I'm not sure, about any of this, but the Temp is located on US soil as far as I'm concerned and if passed, well, I don't know. I've already written a congressman, next I can email the reps in my state and have them oppose it. The whole idea behind TPP
    is absolute BS, thanks to corrupt individual. I know that politicians are both good and bad, and will push things we don't like. I just feel so powerless to stop this, even when all is said and done and we write our congressmen, so on and so forth. Sorry, just, ugh, a lot on my mine.

15. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's Official Axolotl

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your couch
    Oh, you mean our site, well then, i guess... unless the admins notice others webs shutting down due to the sharing of tools, they will have to ban all that stuff from here and, now that i think about it, keeping the site alive will not matter since we will lose almost everything, it wont be gbatemp anymore

16. Autz

Autz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 18, 2016
    Venezuela
    I don't think that's how these partnership politics works. Sure the citizens can have a voice but doesn't have any weight on this matter because is more of a business decision than anything else, and more when the signatories are up to twelve.

17. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    So that's the solution? Just give up? And what are we or the Temp to do about this? Someone higher up has to know or have a plan, no? See, this is what flat out pisses me off, stupid leeching bureaucrats, I hope this gets shot down mercilessly, and isn't fair to the nation or those involved, really.

18. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Why not move the site to i2p?

And Trump is no good on trade either

19. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    That's not my decision to make though, but for those who run/are in charge, I don't know what they're going to do if this bedamned TTP gets passed. I hope it gets a lot of opposition, it's a good idea in some ways I guess,
    but very bad for digital rights.

20. Autz

Autz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 18, 2016
    Venezuela
    I remember a Torrent-related dude (can't recall his name) that commited suicide because he got caught and he was to pay with prison for life and excesive ammout of money for the books and documents he downloaded. He thought that the fight for a free NET is over and we lost it. And he's right.

You can't ask people to feel empathy or powerless for these things unless they sees it as very neccesary, and that's subjective. We can only hope that most users out there know that these issues are getting tough for us, which is very unlikely.