So someone has wifi internet in my area

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Harsky, Oct 1, 2006.

Oct 1, 2006
  1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    And as someone once mentioned, "if it's there, you gotta share". Well, not surprisingly it's WEP locked. Is the effort required in cracking this worth it or should I just forget about it? I wonder how much trouble I will incur if I use his internets for bittorrent? Best to just use it as a back up wifi for DS online.

2. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Depends on your wireless card if you can crrack it or not. If it's some Broadcom BS you're SOL.

3. corbs132

Member corbs132 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    if u have a macbook, and u build kismac from source, your set. or just get wusb54g v2.5 lol

4. Dwaalspoor98

Member Dwaalspoor98 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
  5. Dwaalspoor98

Member Dwaalspoor98 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I have a Macbook, and you can do it with Linux+MacBook+Patched MadWIFI drivers and the Atheros card wich is already inside [​IMG] I already did it a few times.

6. time-warp

Member time-warp GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I read a while back that there was one of those Linux Live Boot CDs that could do the job. You boot off the disc, not needing to install it on the HDD, steal the key and your done. Forgot what it's called though - anyone remember? Should only need to be around 50mb or so.

7. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    So it can only be done in linux?

8. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    you can do it in windows, just a lot more intensive and still require the atheros card. maybe try reading up on WEP encryption concepts and what you are actually doing before you start, makes it a lot easier.

9. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    So... I have to purchase more equipment to take advantage of other people's connection?

10. Kyoji

Member Kyoji ウッーウッーウマ

United States
  11. HugeCock

Member HugeCock Oh My....

United States
    Nice find Kyoji, unfortunatly my wifi card is not supported, I may run out and get one that is. Here is a question though. I have 5 unsecure networks and 8 secure networks in my office. I am assuming the stores above, below, and beside me?....maybe even across from me. We have been stealing off the 5 unsecures...but even though they are unsecure still I can't connect anymore....I thought my wireless card was going bad but my DS can't connect anymore either....is it possible they are blocking my mac address?

12. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    My Wi-Fi connection is WEP protected, has MAC protection on and doesn't broadcast the SSID. I still think it could be hacked though [​IMG] I have a lot of protection on because I don't want anyone else to use my wifi connection. I don't see why anyone should get free internet or even be able to download from something like the Bittorrent network. At the end of the day if their caught its you that gets the letter.

13. deoFusion

Newcomer deoFusion Member

Australia
    It's possible, but they would be more likely to be using MAC filtering. That basically only allows a predefined list of MAC addresses to connect to the AP. If that is the case, and if you are using linux, there are easy ways to spoof your MAC address to look like one of theirs, or a random one, if they are only blocking yours.

14. cornaljoe

Member cornaljoe GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Can DSLinux be used to crack WEPs? That would be awesome!!