Status
Not open for further replies.

Swing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since we can download games to our 3DS' from the eShop program what is stopping us from downloading these games off the net instead and putting them on our SD cards through our computer? I know we're already talking about it but I was thinking we could refine our ideas on how to get these games and maybe other roms on our SD cards. I have 2 PSP's so I'm familiar with hacking them for thier ISOs and I have a feeling that it would almost the same deal for the 3DS. Any good solid ideas?

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I'm pretty sure I read that the 3DS leaves some kind of mark on the applications that makes them unusable on other systems.

Edit:
ph34r.gif

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Swing said:
Since we can download games to our 3DS' from the eShop program what is stopping us from downloading these games off the net instead and putting them on our SD cards through our computer? I know we're already talking about it but I was thinking we could refine our ideas on how to get these games and maybe other roms on our SD cards. I have 2 PSP's so I'm familiar with hacking them for thier ISOs and I have a feeling that it would almost the same deal for the 3DS. Any good solid ideas?

You gotta put the latest CFW on your 3DS first. It's 2.0.0 SD3-N.

Swing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't make sense that if you saved data on one of your SD cards you wouldn't be able to play it on somebody else's 3DS. I can switch mem cards on my phat and slim PSPs that run serperate CFW and it works.

D

Deleted User

Swing said:
That doesn't make sense that if you saved data on one of your SD cards you wouldn't be able to play it on somebody else's 3DS. I can switch mem cards on my phat and slim PSPs that run serperate CFW and it works.
I don't get what didn't make sense here. The games are encrypted to work only on the system they were downloaded on. The security of the PSP has been hacked, the one of the 3DS hasn't, so there's no way around it for now. In your 3DS user manual it's mentioned that if you'll mess with the wrong folders (games, savegames etc.) on your SD card, it'll become unusable, as in the 3DS won't recognize it anymore. You can't even use more than one SD card IIRC (not 100% sure on this one). There's a lot of work to be done before you can just download eShop games from the net and copy them to your SD card.

Reactions: Iispoor

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Swing said:
Because the 3DS works exactly the same way as the PSP.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Takeshi said:
Swing said:
I don't get what didn't make sense here. The games are encrypted to work only on the system they were downloaded on. The security of the PSP has been hacked, the one of the 3DS hasn't, so there's no way around it for now. In your 3DS user manual it's mentioned that if you'll mess with the wrong folders (games, savegames etc.) on your SD card, it'll become unusable, as in the 3DS won't recognize it anymore. You can't even use more than one SD card IIRC (not 100% sure on this one). There's a lot of work to be done before you can just download eShop games from the net and copy them to your SD card.
If you're correct, how do you suppose we upgrade to a bigger SD card? Nintendo has up to 32gb of memory to offer us - it's inevitable to not get a bigger SD card, if you think about why they're offering us 32gb.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
s4mid4re said:
Takeshi said:
Swing said:
If you're correct, how do you suppose we upgrade to a bigger SD card? Nintendo has up to 32gb of memory to offer us - it's inevitable to not get a bigger SD card, if you think about why they're offering us 32gb.
He is (fortunately) incorrect. If you transfer all the files of the previous SD to the larger SD, it should still be compatible, as long as you don't tamper with any of the files.

D

Deleted User

Slyakin said:
s4mid4re said:
Takeshi said:
Swing said:
He is (fortunately) incorrect. If you transfer all the files of the previous SD to the larger SD, it should still be compatible, as long as you don't tamper with any of the files.
Yes, the transfer is of course possibly. It may have been bad wording, but what I meant was that you can't use more than one SD card at the time. I looked it up and it's more of a recommendation that you should use only one SD card at a time to prevent inconsistencies. The manual also states that you can't transfer a game to a bigger/another SD card and afterwards use the old SD card to play it.

Swing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow I thought that it would be simple because of my PSP hacking knowledge. It just doesn't make sense that you can only use 1 card at a time I mean what if you have a ton of games? And it doesn't make sense that in order to play hacked games you hafta use an R4 cartridge instead of just going through the memory stick. Just as a PSP user it doesn't make much sense to me it seems like the hackers just over complicated things to make a buck selling those cartridges.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Swing said:
Wow I thought that it would be simple because of my PSP hacking knowledge. It just doesn't make sense that you can only use 1 card at a time I mean what if you have a ton of games? And it doesn't make sense that in order to play hacked games you hafta use an R4 cartridge instead of just going through the memory stick. Just as a PSP user it doesn't make much sense to me it seems like the hackers just over complicated things to make a buck selling those cartridges.
There's no kexploit for the 3ds so far, compared to the psp which had LOADS of kexploits. That's why you can't softmod your 3ds (not even the dsi) to play commercial games from the SD card. Although the dsi had the sudokuhax which allowed homebrews (not games) to run without flashcarts.

MakiManPR

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Swing said:

DUDE!! You know nothing
Has the 3DS been hacked?? NO!

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
Custom Firmware has been developed for the PSP. That's what allows you to play pirated games on it. More recently some of the security keys of the PSP have been discovered and now pirated PSP games can be signed with them to allow them to play on non-hacked PSPs.

None of that has occured yet for the 3DS so you can't compare what you can do with your hacked PSP to what you can do with your regular 3DS.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Swing said:
This is the facepalm to end all facepalms.

Please do not assume you are the next Geohot because you dropped a few files in your PSP.

Z

Zorua

Well, I'll try to explain.
When you download a game off the eShop, Nintendo applies your console's digital signature to it so that it becomes unusable on all other 3DS consoles.
Since you have hacking knowledge about the PSP, you must be aware of signing homebrew to make them work on OFW.
This is somewhat like that, the only difference is that someone needs to develop a tool which can derive your 3DS'es digital signature and another one which can sign eShop stuff using that.
Oh and about playing retail 3DS games, that's just not possible right now because Nintendo learnt from past mistakes and the security algorithms on the 3DS are the best in any Nintendo console.
Nintendo just couldn't block ds flashcarts, as DS mode had been developed around 6 years ago, so they couldn't do much.
Hope this cleared up some stuff.
smile.gif

Reactions: Iispoor

Swing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why you guys are acting so pissed as I'm not trying to be arrogant I don't claim to be teh#1 h4cker I'm just curious about the differences and why it doesn't work for 3DS thanx Zorua for the clarification. Hope somebody can figure this out eventually
yaypsp.gif

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
Trophies
XP
Country
Swing said:
I don't know why you guys are acting so pissed as I'm not trying to be arrogant I don't claim to be teh#1 h4cker I'm just curious about the differences and why it doesn't work for 3DS thanx Zorua for the clarification. Hope somebody can figure this out eventually
yaypsp.gif
Don't get your hopes up for a hack too soon. It will take a while with the advanced security and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1