Hacking So, no bricks reported yet for Gateway 2.1 Ω?

Dyshonest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The scene is a little older than petty squabbles over warez, your stance is terribly ignorant, but let's just skip that part of the discussion.

Legitimacy of a given source is gradable depending on the source's achievements in a given field. "Some guy" is not as legitimate as "established developer" simply because an established developer is just that - established. A word of a scene developer is further backed by said developer's reputation, it's quite simple, really. "Some guy" could give you a, in his opinion, very accurate theory about the Earth's gravitational pull, however if that person is just "some guy" and not an established physicist, his or her words have very little weight as evidence.

The Project Pokemon team hasn't "proven their worth" in the field of hacking systems, they've proven their worth in the fields of modifying save files and analyzing network traffic. On the same token I should give credit to someone's theory about the beginnings of cosmos because they're a well-known chef. That's not how specialization works, I'm afraid.
ITT: Foxi4 is using terms he doesn't understand and ignores other people/what they do just because of silly prejudice or something.
"The scene" unless you're referring to special, made-up-on-the-spot terms, refers to the warez scene.

If you list "Smealum" as the finder of it, what the hell makes that more trustworthy than crediting Kaphotics/Bond697/whoever the heck did the discoveries about it on PP?

Any sources for that? So I guess the info on their front page is stolen stuff (about the 3DS processors and the like)? Oh, or the news about the Omega's bricking code? Where did they steal it? Apparently they can't actually do anything, so where did it come from?

I can't tell if you're a professional troll or English is your fifth language...

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ITT: Foxi4 is using terms he doesn't understand and ignores other people/what they do just because of silly prejudice or something.
"The scene" unless you're referring to special, made-up-on-the-spot terms, refers to the warez scene.

If you list "Smealum" as the finder of it, what the hell makes that more trustworthy than crediting Kaphotics/Bond697/whoever the heck did the discoveries about it on PP?

Any sources for that? So I guess the info on their front page is stolen stuff (about the 3DS processors and the like)? Oh, or the news about the Omega's bricking code? Where did they steal it? Apparently they can't actually do anything, so where did it come from?

I can't tell if you're a professional troll or English is your fifth language...
And how did you come with that conclusion??? O.o

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
ITT: Foxi4 is using terms he doesn't understand and ignores other people/what they do just because of silly prejudice or something. "The scene" unless you're referring to special, made-up-on-the-spot terms, refers to the warez scene.
The scene expands beyond the level of warez alone, it's not all about piracy. There's the computer art scene, the hacking scene, the demoscene and the warez scene, and despite the name, even the warez scene has accomplishments beyond the scope of copyrighted material. Intros/Cracktros of the past are contemporarily considered art by some critics, they're displayed on actual exhibitions. You're downplaying a subculture that's been growing since the 1970'ies as "a bunch of guys who just want to play games for free" - perhaps you should do some research before speaking up.
smealum didn't find the exploit that made 3DS flash carts possible, his mention here is irrelevant. The context you're driving at is the analysis of the Gateway's Launcher.dat, unless we've moved back to the 6.3 exploit which he indeed came up with and documented, and that alone makes him a more credible source in this regard.
I never mentioned anything about theft of any information, I said that they're not considered an established source and expressed my appreciation of them looking into the matter.
I'm currently writing my BA degree paper in English Philology, thank you very much. That said, my grasp of English isn't the subject matter here, so it would be wise not to contest it - argumentum ad hominem is generally frowned upon and gives you little leverage.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The scene expands beyond the level of warez alone, it's not all about piracy. There's the computer art scene, the hacking scene, the demoscene and the warez scene, and despite the name, even the warez scene has accomplishments beyond the scope of copyrighted material. Intros/Cracktros of the past are contemporarily considered art by some critics, they're displayed on actual exhibitions. You're downplaying a subculture that's been growing since the 1970'ies as "a bunch of guys who just want to play games for free" - perhaps you should do some research before speaking up.
smealum didn't find the exploit that made 3DS flash carts possible, his mention here is irrelevant. The context you're driving at is the analysis of the Gateway's Launcher.dat, unless we've moved back to the 6.3 exploit which he indeed came up with and documented, and that alone makes him a more credible source in this regard.
I never mentioned anything about theft of any information, I said that they're not considered an established source and expressed my appreciation of them looking into the matter.
I'm currently writing my BA degree paper in English Philology, thank you very much.

pls tak ur fifth english language out of her kthxbai foxi4illiterate

Reactions: gamefan5

Dyshonest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently writing my BA degree paper in English Philology, thank you very much.
Except for the fact that those "scenes" are referred to by the name and then scene (i.e.: demoscene, etc) unless this was a site dedicated to, say, "cracktros", in which case just saying the scene is enough.
(and anything can be considered "art", by the way)

"The scene" when used in a non-descriptive term refers to warez.
For someone who claims to be a fan of so many artsy things and is going to be getting a "BA degree" in English Philology, you don't know what a lot of what your saying actually means.

You're right he didn't. We don't have much proof he's found anything really. We just have his word, which, according to you, means nothing. What makes him an "established source" of anything?

What IS considered "an established source"? Someone who doesn't hack Pokemon games, or something? You fail to understand pretty much 90% of what people are even telling you.
Maybe you should try studying contemporary English first. :/

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Except for the fact that those "scenes" are referred to by the name and then scene unless this was a site dedicated to, say, "cracktros", in which case just saying the scene is enough.
(and anything can be considered "art", by the way)

"The scene" when used in a non-descriptive term refers to warez.

You're right he didn't. We don't have much proof he's found anything really. We just have word. Which... according to you, isn't much. I mean, he only made one (or two?) DS games and seems to know what he's talking about. But there's nothing to VERIFY he's "in the know".

What IS considered "an established source"? Someone who doesn't hack Pokemon games, or something? You fail to understand pretty much 90% of what people are even telling you.
Maybe you should try studying contemporary English first. :/
Ehh... no. "Scene" is an all-encompassing term, it's a short handle for "computer scene", but hey - context is key. An established source in the scene context is, y'know, a source that has been a part of the scene for an extended period of time and contributed to its development in one way or another. You're taking what I'm saying completely out of context - I'm not saying that whatever PP publishes is wrong, I'm saying that they're not a reputable source in the context. I understand what 90% of "people" are saying, people in quotation marks since it really only refers to you specifically. Do you understand what I'm saying? Seriously, contesting my understanding of English won't get you anywhere, it's not an argument that has any weight to it. :)

Dyshonest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ehh... no. "Scene" is an all-encompassing term, it's a short handle for "computer scene", but hey - context is key. An established source in the scene context is, y'know, a source that has been a part of the scene for an extended period of time and contributed to its development in one way or another. You're taking what I'm saying completely out of context - I'm not saying that whatever PP publish is wrong, I'm saying that they're not a reputable source in the context. I understand what 90% of "people" are saying, people in quotation marks since it really only refers to you specifically. Do you understand what I'm saying? Seriously, contesting my understanding of English won't take you anywhere, it's not an argument that has any weight to it.
ITT: Unreputable sources are possibly right or trustworthy?

What makes any of the "scene" people any more in the know or "established" and "trustworthy" when they regurgitate the same info but at a much slower pace?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
ITT: Unreputable sources are possibly right or trustworthy?
No. "In Real Life" not being a well-known professional in a given field does not mean that you're going to be invariably wrong in that particular field - you may very well be right. Your sarcasm really doesn't phase me.
What makes any of the "scene" people any more in the know or "established" and "trustworthy" when they regurgitate the same info but at a much slower pace?
You're asking me what makes a professor of physics a superior source of information regarding physics in comparison to a randomly selected physics enthusiast. As I've said countless times before, the difference lays in the amount and weight of previous contributions and previous displays of knowledge and prowess in a given field.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
news flash....its up to foxi to decide what "source" he trusts, he hasn't actually said they are wrong, just that he will wait to hear what others have to say on the matter before starting a mass panic riot

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
news flash....its up to foxi to decide what "source" he trusts, he hasn't actually said they are wrong, just that he will wait to hear what others have to say on the matter before starting a mass panic riot
Thank you. A voice of reason. :)
I love watching people hang themselves.
ITT: People not as smart as Foxi4 making even bigger jackasses of themselves.
There's no need for that, let's keep it civil, guys.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Dear Dyshonest, what I'm trying to convey here is that before I put something up for public viewing as the official modus operandi for all Gateway users, I want it to be certain that what I publish is correct and will not cause any harm to our users. GBATemp.net is massive - we have over 300,000 registered members and in addition to that, we also get thousands of guests. Information found here has to be reliable, and it's not only a matter of prestige.

I don't want to risk sounding like Satoru Iwata, but "please understand" that after going Omega, there is no going back. The update procedure requires the user to update the FPGA which is currently irreversible. After updating to 2.1, you simply can't go back to firmwares considered safe whether you want it or not.

I want to be sure that Omega is 100% safe for its users before I officially endorse it - it's for the benefit of everyone in my opinion. PP's contributions will not go unnoticed when the time comes, just like gamesquest1's didn't even though he's not an established scene developer, rather a tester.

I hope this answer satisfies you. No hard feelings, let's bury the hatchet, okay? :)

Dyshonest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dear Dyshonest, what I'm trying to convey here is that before I put something up for public viewing as the official modus operandi for all Gateway users, I want it to be certain that what I publish is correct and will not cause any harm to our users. GBATemp.net is massive - we have over 300,000 registered members and in addition to that, we also get thousands of guests. Information found here has to be reliable, and it's not only a matter of prestige.

I don't want to risk sounding like Satoru Iwata, but "please understand" that after going Omega, there is no going back. The update procedure requires the user to update the FPGA which is currently irreversible. After updating to 2.1, you simply can't go back to firmwares considered safe whether you want it or not.

I want to be sure that Omega is 100% safe for its users before I officially endorse it - it's for the benefit of everyone in my opinion. PP's contributions will not go unnoticed when the time comes, just like gamesquest1's didn't even though he's not an established scene developer, rather a tester.

I hope this answer satisfies you. No hard feelings, let's bury the hatchet, okay? :)
Define "established scene (what scene? Quit speaking in warez (aka vague enough to go under the radar) terms) developer"?
(300,000 registered users =/= 300,000 active users. GBATemp is quite active, but not that active.)

If enough people regurgitate the same info it becomes more correct and thus "established"? What more do you need posted? Gateway developers telling you exactly how they programmed it? Enough has been shown to where your denial of it is silly and arbitrary at best.

And sorry, was never a fan of devil's advocacy, or "agree to disagree".

I disagree with PP's ethics and various other things about their site and how they operate but there is no doubt they have competent programmers and hackers that know what they're talking about, whereas we have someone who has serious doubt in them for not being established warez/"scene" devz and has... nothing to back up any of his claims, nor has he said what makes someone an established warez (which is what "scene" implies when you give no context.) developer.

I really couldn't care less what you (or anyone else for that matter) has to think about this, but when someone's job is summed up as "gathering opinions", you should probably take reliable info instead of haggling people for more while being offensive or discrediting the info you DO get.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Competent programmer does not an established hacker make - I consider myself relatively competent, but I'm no crediar. Once I get to see more evidence from a number of sources, I'll make my judgment on the matter. This isn't about regurgitated information, it's about being sure that the information posted is reliable and the new Launcher has been combed through with enough combs to be considered safe. The established scene consists of devs who time and time again proved to be reliable and made substantial contributions - it's as simple as that. I also don't think I'm being offensive here, I'm merely cautious.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Competent programmer does not an established hacker make - I consider myself relatively competent, but I'm no crediar. Once I get to see more evidence from a number of sources, I'll make my judgment on the matter. This isn't about regurgitated information, it's about being sure that the information posted is reliable and the New Launcher has been combed through by enough combs to be considered safe. Established scene consists of devs who time and time again proved to be reliable and made substantial contributions - it's as simple as that.
inb4 WAREZZZ U MEANZ WAREZ
just drop it already, its up to foxi what he does and doesnt post, unless you have invested interest in the matter what does it matter to you?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol