Hacking So...Nintendo can block eShop per 3DS permanently (a.k.a.banned eShop)

jakeslogan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not too sure if this is new but recently a friend of mine bought a used 3DS on eBay for $100. However he was unable to connect to eShop even on FW8.1, there is always an error code 005-5964 though he could watch movie on youtube just fine. He already tried changing NinID, region, formatting all, reconfiguring connection, wifi, router,... everything to no avail.

Therefore, he tried to look for a solution on the internet and the only thing to do with this error code is to contact Nintendo. He tried to send some mails but ran out of patient. Then I asked him to get Nintendo by phone and surprisingly Nintendo told him that the money added for shopping on eshop was from a fraud Credit Card so there is the block.

We tried to contact the guy who sold him the 3DS and he said his kid come to his friend's house and somehow used his friend's father's Credit Card to buy a $50 eshop card without his knowledge and added into the 3DS so he believed the friend's father asked the bank to take some actions. Later the 3DS went weird and he didn't know how to fix it so he decided to sell it to get a new 3DSXL for his kid.

Due to not living in the US, my friend explained the situation to Nintendo. They told him that they have no support in the country he is living and asked him to ship them the 3DS. He is still deciding whether to send them the 3DS or not as it would cost him more than planned.

So in general, I believe Nintendo can ban a 3DS from entering eShop permanently, it just that they didn't do it to the flashcart user yet. What is your opinion?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That seems like a short sighted solution on Nintendo's part. Banning an account I can see, but banning the system seems to displays some ignorance on the used system market.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
IMO they don't give a fuck if pirates can have access to the eShop as long as nobody actually manages to get content from there illegally.

This is not the first time they have taken actions, but I think (if my memory serves me right) that this is the first time I've heard of a ban from the eShop.

Reactions: tyons

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
there is nothing weird here, are you surprised that nintendo is able to ban a console from eshop if something bad has happened (in this case using a credit card without permission etc)
amazon does it with kindles, apple doe sit with iphones etc, maybe what happened should not have been enough for nintendo to do it, but if it is in their terms and conditions etc, it's nothing surprising...

Reactions: Hozu and Shadow#1

EMegamanu

Trophies
XP
Country
France
send in a clame "not as discribed" and get your money back
Good idea.:yaynds:

Purchases on eBay via Paypal are well protected for the customers.

I got an used 3DS LL, although I ordered a "brand new". So, I asked for an exchange or a partial refund... and got the second.

Reactions: jakeslogan

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm not too sure if this is new but recently a friend of mine bought a used 3DS on eBay for $100. However he was unable to connect to eShop even on FW8.1, there is always an error code 005-5964 though he could watch movie on youtube just fine. He already tried changing NinID, region, formatting all, reconfiguring connection, wifi, router,... everything to no avail.

Therefore, he tried to look for a solution on the internet and the only thing to do with this error code is to contact Nintendo. He tried to send some mails but ran out of patient. Then I asked him to get Nintendo by phone and surprisingly Nintendo told him that the money added for shopping on eshop was from a fraud Credit Card so there is the block.

We tried to contact the guy who sold him the 3DS and he said his kid come to his friend's house and somehow used his friend's father's Credit Card to buy a $50 eshop card without his knowledge and added into the 3DS so he believed the friend's father asked the bank to take some actions. Later the 3DS went weird and he didn't know how to fix it so he decided to sell it to get a new 3DSXL for his kid.

Due to not living in the US, my friend explained the situation to Nintendo. They told him that they have no support in the country he is living and asked him to ship them the 3DS. He is still deciding whether to send them the 3DS or not as it would cost him more than planned.

So in general, I believe Nintendo can ban a 3DS from entering eShop permanently, it just that they didn't do it to the flashcart user yet. What is your opinion?
Now why would they block the eShop on hacked 3DSes? That would mean blocking their own only income from pirates. :P
M$ is stupid enough to do that, but that's just them.

Mariko

Trophies
XP
Country
That seems like a short sighted solution on Nintendo's part. Banning an account I can see, but banning the system seems to displays some ignorance on the used system market.

If they would limit themselves to banning accounts, people would just create new accounts (unless they had plenty of content on the old one). Anyway, when you're buying a 3DS, you're agreeing to Nintendo's terms, just like when you're buying a PS4 you'll agreeing to get a used refurb in case your console stops working and is covered by warranty. Don't like those terms? Don't buy.

IMO they don't give a fuck if pirates can have access to the eShop as long as nobody actually manages to get content from there illegally.

Now that online play is possible with pirated games, they don't want pirates stealing their bandwidth. Also, they probably don't want you downloading game updates. It's a "you screw with us, we screw with you" type of situation, and is completely understandable. You could argue that it's not fair on those who pirate but also buy from eShop, but pirating isn't fair to begin with, and if you're not doing anything wrong, it's highly unlikely you'll ever get banned. If you do, it's probably your own fault.

This is when someone replies with "I don't pirate, I only use flash cartridges for homebrew". Yeah, right. Neither I nor Nintendo will ever believe you'll go spending big money just to mess around with the infant creations of a forming homebrew scene. Ok, so there might be two people out there who would do that, but it is the got to response of far too many users. We don't love homebrew that much.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China

This is not the first time they have taken actions, but I think (if my memory serves me right) that this is the first time I've heard of a ban from the eShop.
Now why would they block the eShop on hacked 3DSes? That would mean blocking their own only income from pirates. :P

dear people i understand you didn't read the "story" but heres some spoilers: its not an "hacked 3ds" or related to "hack", it is about a credit card stealed by someone.

Reactions: Shadow#1

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they would limit themselves to banning accounts, people would just create new accounts (unless they had plenty of content on the old one). Anyway, when you're buying a 3DS, you're agreeing to Nintendo's terms, just like when you're buying a PS4 you'll agreeing to get a used refurb in case your console stops working and is covered by warranty. Don't like those terms? Don't buy.
I think there's another problem if someone is repeatedly stealing credit cards to use on new eShop accounts, but I get your point. Just leaves second hand users with the short end of the stick. Overall, it doesn't affect me as I didn't buy a used 3DS with that problem nor do I buy things off of the eShop, other than Shovel Knight but that's due to a severe lack of physical copies of that game.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu

do you really think 'pirates' as a whole are going to buy stuff from the eshop as much compared to legit people?
nintendo does not care AT ALL about the pirates, they are not going to be upset about losing over the rare few purchases that gateway users make...

Reactions: Ryanrocks462

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
dear people i understand you didn't read the "story" but heres some spoilers: its not an "hacked 3ds" or related to hack, it is about a credit card stealed by someone.
I was responding to this line: "So in general, I believe Nintendo can ban a 3DS from entering eShop permanently, it just that they didn't do it to the flashcart user yet. What is your opinion?"

do you really think 'pirates' as a whole are going to buy stuff from the eshop as much compared to legit people?
nintendo does not care AT ALL about the pirates, they are not going to be upset about losing over the rare few purchases that gateway users make...
Honestly yes, it doesn't benefit them to block pirates from buying eShop games, and those sales are pure profit. It wouldn't make sense to block them.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
tbh i dont really see them blocking online access for people using the gateway card.....but this at least proves its possible, but then you have to ask if they would block people who use ssspwn when its released.....in that situation they could potentially be blocking thousands of consoles that cant even run backups, and in the case of gateway, depending on how the verification takes place i.e if its just a simple sequential console ID that's banned it could potentially lead to another ps3 style event where people make console ID spoofers and then legit users start getting banned too....for what? to block a few people getting title updates or buying the odd eshop app

i think a more likely situation especially with the release of ssspwn coming soon them may opt for a forced to update to play online like they have now done on the wii u

Mikecrowfone

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great. All we need is this. More paranoia. Next thing there will be 10 new threads by new members worrying pointlessly about being banned using gateway.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Great. All we need is this. More paranoia. Next thing there will be 10 new threads by new members worrying pointlessly about being banned using gateway.
i know, its a risk you take for getting free games......what confuses me more is people saying "i will never play online"..........how is that any different than being banned

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: