So my mom's phone went for a swin in the washing machine!

naved.islam14

Gbatemp's Official Dark Knight™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
My mom's phone was in her pocket and she forgot to take it out, when she found the phone all wet inside the washing machine, she started sobbing. It had all the pics she adored so if you guy s can help it would really be appreciated.

TheDestroyer

GBAtemp's Official Keyblade Master™
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, one thing I know is that, take off battery and let it dry. DON'T EVER attempt to turn it on while wet. It would most likely go dead! Most likely dry for like 2-3 days and try to open it up and see if its working. The photos might still be in there if your mom has a memory card on the phone? or if it is saved on the phone I guess ull have to wait to see if its still working after dry. I always save pictures on memory card so even it gets wet u can retrieve it but again, dry it before anything else.

naved.islam14

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I dried the battery but it still didn't fit in. So my mom bought a new battery when we turn the phone on with the new battery the screen still stays black nothing happens.

Four_X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
danielkraak said:
Put it on the radiator for a very long time, like 3-4 weeks and hope for the best.

that's a good idea but if you want to do it faster and you have some skills
with small phone (dissembling them) try this if your mum has a hot hair dryer
you can fix most water damaged phones inc iPods you need to strip
them down to the components like motherboard, lcd, ect then dry each
component with the hot hair dryer then when all looks dry reassemble the
phone and it should work again. iv done this many times with water
damaged iphones and iPods.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
Do not use heat! You will fry it.
Instead put it in a bag full of rice. Not tried it myself, but it's supposed to work.
If that doesn't work, as a last resort use an airing cupboard.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
naved.islam14 said:
I dried the battery but it still didn't fit in. So my mom bought a new battery when we turn the phone on with the new battery the screen still stays black nothing happens.
Well there's a good chance that the power button and possibly other things are fried. Never allow electrical energy to flow on a wet surface. My phone went into a pool. Let it dry for 2 days in desert heat, turned it on and the screen was still wet on the inside. Immediately turn it off and left it for another day. Screen dried and everything worked except the power button which was also the END button and I eventually replaced the phone.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Your best option is to totally strip it down and clean all the parts with "distilled water" it is essential that you use distilled water nothing else will do, then leave it to completely dry out before attempting to switch it on.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not familiar with the iPhone, so this might sound really dumb: Did your mother have an SD card of some sort in it for added storage?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
See if you can disassemble the phone and let it dry naturally. Don't put it on a radiator, it might fired it. Just let it dry naturally for a week before assembling them and boot it up again.

Though if the phone is completely dead, your only option is to take out the SIM card and buy a new phone.

naved.islam14

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No SD or any kind of memory cards
ohnoes.png
Should I disasamble the phone for the rice thing?

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tanas said:
Your best option is to totally strip it down and clean all the parts with "distilled water" it is essential that you use distilled water nothing else will do, then leave it to completely dry out before attempting to switch it on.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say sorry, but you're screwed. However, next time, don't turn it on. BEFORE using dry rice, do what Tanas said using distilled water. That means NO SALT WHATSOEVER. Salt water short circuits everything in your phone. In some cases, you may not even need to take the phone apart, just as long as you put the phone is distilled water for about 3-4 days (changing the water everyday) then letting it dry for another week or so.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tanas said:
Deionised water was what I was going to suggest too; my father dropped his phone in cola or something like that, and it was alright after putting it in the water. We have plenty to hand, which is convenient. After all, water itself doesn't cause the trouble, but the impurities in it that tend to cause problems.

QUOTE(Rydian @ Nov 24 2010, 03:51 AM) DRY, UNCOOKED rice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1