Hacking So... My Gateway 3DS just crashed

justln

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
And my Monster Hunter 4 savegame was rolled back to 2 weeks ago. I have no idea whether it was the Gateway microSD or the 3DS SD card malfunctioning.

I'm on EmuNAND 7.1 with the Gateway 2.2. Was playing Monster Hunter 4 halfway and it locked up, can't press home, closing the 3DS does nothing. Had to hold the Power Button until it powered off, went back ingame and noticed the rolled back savegame.

So just remember to backup your saves, I know I'll do that weekly from now on. :(

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
And my Monster Hunter 4 savegame was rolled back to 2 weeks ago. I have no idea whether it was the Gateway microSD or the 3DS SD card malfunctioning.

I'm on EmuNAND 7.1 with the Gateway 2.2. Was playing Monster Hunter 4 halfway and it locked up, can't press home, closing the 3DS does nothing. Had to hold the Power Button until it powered off, went back ingame and noticed the rolled back savegame.

So just remember to backup your saves, I know I'll do that weekly from now on. :(

I don't see how the save can roll back to 2 weeks ago, unless you're telling me you never shut off your system for 2 weeks.

I mean, if you powered it down and power on and play game every other day, shouldn't it roll back to a more recent save?

EDIT:

Anyway, it is a good reminder for people to constantly back up.
I'll keep that in mind.

justln

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't see how the save can roll back to 2 weeks ago, unless you're telling me you never shut off your system for 2 weeks.

I mean, if you powered it down and power on and play game every other day, shouldn't it roll back to a more recent save?

EDIT:

Anyway, it is a good reminder for people to constantly back up.
I'll keep that in mind.

Guess so, I rarely off my system.

Weird for you to go back 2 weeks >.< sure you didn't make a mistake and check the 3ds instead of the 3dz file or something?

The 3DS file is as it is when I downloaded it, haven't edited it since you need a patch from the JPN eshop to go online.

Out of curiosity, does MH4 display in Japanese only?
Yes. Still understandable as there are a lot of Kanji which translates well to Chinese for me.

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude this has been covered so many time now its ridiculous. If you leave your system running with gateway in it it is guaranteed that your 3ds will freeze at some point. Turn it off every day to update your save cause you never know when you are gonna freeze. Then you get pissed off when its really your fault in the first place.

Not saying OP got pissed(im sure he did though i would be). Just saying that if you dont take the proper precautions its your own damn fault.

dsdork

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turn it off every day to update your save cause you never know when you are gonna freeze.

This is news to this Gateway noob. How do you "update your save"?

The multistep process to get the gateway working lends itself to keeping the cart in and the 3ds on all the time. Good to know this isn't a good idea.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just hitting home to exit the game to the menu, and pressing x to close it, will do what you need, you don't need to power down or leave gateway mode.

justln

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Dude this has been covered so many time now its ridiculous. If you leave your system running with gateway in it it is guaranteed that your 3ds will freeze at some point. Turn it off every day to update your save cause you never know when you are gonna freeze. Then you get pissed off when its really your fault in the first place.

Not saying OP got pissed(im sure he did though i would be). Just saying that if you dont take the proper precautions its your own damn fault.

Just hitting home to exit the game to the menu, and pressing x to close it, will do what you need, you don't need to power down or leave gateway mode.

You 2 do know that Gateway saves automatically now right? No need for Home > Exit game or turning off your 3DS to confirm saving.

CFallenleaf please do post a link on where your 3DS will freeze if you don't turn it off, I would love to see some real proof on it instead of "my friend's friend said so".

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
You 2 do know that Gateway saves automatically now right? No need for Home > Exit game or turning off your 3DS to confirm saving.

CFallenleaf please do post a link on where your 3DS will freeze if you don't turn it off, I would love to see some real proof on it instead of "my friend's friend said so".
I have only lost small amounts of progress, but it certainly isn't real time saving, you still need to exit the game in some way, whether that be picking shutdown or home +exit, i don't see it as a major issue as long as people are given the correct info

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

As I've found out earlier, Gateway does not save automatically. If you save, continue playing, and x minutes later your console crashes, your progress will be reset. I personally don't do this because the new Gateway has only crashed a few times (once intentionally), but if you wanna be super safe, x out to the home menu every hour or so.

justln

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
As I've found out earlier, Gateway does not save automatically. If you save, continue playing, and x minutes later your console crashes, your progress will be reset. I personally don't do this because the new Gateway has only crashed a few times (once intentionally), but if you wanna be super safe, x out to the home menu every hour or so.

Ah ok, thanks for the info. That'll be irritating with Monster Hunter 4 as it automatically restarts the 3DS after I close the game.

masterzero

Trophies
XP
Country
that happened to me on LvsPW on a 3dslink and I lost a day worth of progress , since then i'm exiting to home at the end of each day to backup to save

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have also personally had this happen to me several times. Every time for me was while leaving my 3ds in sleep mode with bravely default for the sp points. Ive had crashes and freezes. The gateway has its own cpu. When a cpu overheats what happens?

It dies, it crashes, or it freezes. Dont go telling me to post a link when there are several threads on here and maxconsole saying my gateway froze or crashed and i lost my save. All you have to do is look for them.(obviously guy i qouted im not talking to you but the other guy.)

Its not the 3ds itself that freezes its the gateway card. Ive left my other 3ds(always current firmware) on for 3 months straight and had no freezes because the games dont have chips that comsume extra power like gateway. Gateway does not save automatically. You just dont have to use home and x anymore and can instead power off the 3ds.

IMRAN_PETER

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
happened to me too while playing different games. E.g. Spy Hunter and others I cant specificly recall. Its sure that gateway doesnt save real time. But I do exit games everyday after done playing as well as remove gateway cart because it consumes battery even when my 3DS XL is in standby. So be sure to exit games everyday after done playing.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yup GW does NOT sav automatically, was on the lat evel of CV LOS MOF ,and the damn thing froze up on me and i had to start all over again from the begining
but i am kinda glad it dont sv automatically, , CV is a good example once you save it after you beat the game you cant go back and replay levels, even though there is a menu that makes it appear like you can ,it only goes by chapters, only 3 , if it saved automatically it would be a pain if i say wanted to keep it right before the final boss battle , since i would have to start from 2/3 the way through , and have to play the last 1/3 of the game again just to re-fight the last battle , glad GW made it home exit sav for this reason , it is only mildly inconvenient compared to how it would be if it automatically saved

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
tbh I don't think I have ever come across any saving issues yet with just shutting down the 3DS unit. But then again I don't leave my 3DS on just lying there hours on end, without using it, usually when I have decided I have finished with it, I turn it off, it just makes perfect sense to me!

Reactions: CFallenleaf

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse