Gaming So I've been thinking of picking up a PSP.

gokujr1000

OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Since the announcement of the PSP Vita I've been thinking about buying a PSP. I have been unsure on whether to buy one or not for many stupid reasons. Although the Company is Sony I'm worried that there won't be many good titles to play even though the only game I can remember playing on the PSP is The Simpsons Game... The movies don't really worry me because I won't be getting any but I am planning on hacking it, which PSP Owner honestly hasn't? So I am also worrying about whether or not it will have many Emulators or Home-brew Apps to browse and mess around with.

Honestly I've been a mess going about getting a PSP and I'm just wondering why is it worth picking up. Can anyone tell me about some good titles, emulators and home-brew to look into if I do decide to purchase one?

Thanks to anyone who answers, this Post is pretty badly constructed mainly due to tiredness but ehh it's better then most Posts I make...Sadly...

-gokujr1000

EDIT: And yes I do know about the Essentials Topics that get run but I like to hear about Peoples opinions rather then look at how many people suggested a certain Title.

Alaude

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Well the psp has really great titles (not like as u think). it has a variety of title to choose from. most of the games are equiped with great graphics.
it also has good homebrews and emulators. the emulator development for psp have been vast. so yeah you can also mess around with it a lot. btw the psp has many titles not few like as you mentioned. overall it is a good system
yaypsp.gif

HOORAY MY FIRST POST IN THIS FORUM
biggrin.gif

Gundam Eclipse

True Demon Route
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
The PSP is a brilliant system, you can believe in that, and i am saying that being a past DS fan.
It has tons of emulators, though i am not exactly sure how many, i do know there's a SNES and GBA emulator, both which run quite well.
For games, there's tons of awesomeness;
Final Fantasy Dissidia 012 Duodecim (3D fighter with FF characters)
Persona
Persona 2 Innocent Sin
Persona 3 Portable
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
Ace Combat X/X2 Skies of Deception/Joint Assault
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Blazblue Portable and Continuum Shift 2
MegaMan Powered Up
Maverick Hunter X
Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core
God Eater Burst
Monster Hunter

I could go on, seriously, its worth picking up.
EDIT:
Oh and since you seem to be a DBZ fan, it has a few awesome as fuck DBZ games as well.

Ravte

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
For the price PSP's usually go these days, it's definately worth picking up. Seeing as you could buy 2-3 PC/PS3/Xbox360/Wii games with the price of PSP + if you go pirate and hack your PSP, you'll only pay 30-60$(Memory card price) for all the games that are dumped.

Gundamn already highlighted some of the popular games in the PSP library, if you'd like more I'd suggest going to youtube and searching for"My Top 60 PSP GAMES [HD]". There are more videos like that in youtube of course, but this one has gameplay footage of each game which is rare imo.

If you've tried out NDS already, you might find the game library to be somewhat smaller and lacking in creativity/innovation but I'd still say it's worth it. Since in everything else, PSP beats NDS 10-0.

PS. The essentials list here in GBATemp is based off on peoples votes, so isn't that already what you're looking for?

Gundam Eclipse

True Demon Route
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
For the price PSP's usually go these days, it's definately worth picking up. Seeing as you could buy 2-3 PC/PS3/Xbox360/Wii games with the price of PSP + if you go pirate and hack your PSP, you'll only pay 30-60$(Memory card price) for all the games that are dumped.

Gundamn already highlighted some of the popular games in the PSP library, if you'd like more I'd suggest going to youtube and searching for"My Top 60 PSP GAMES [HD]". There are more videos like that in youtube of course, but this one has gameplay footage of each game which is rare imo.

If you've tried out NDS already, you might find the game library to be somewhat smaller and lacking in creativity/innovation but I'd still say it's worth it. Since in everything else, PSP beats NDS 10-0.

PS. The essentials list here in GBATemp is based off on peoples votes, so isn't that already what you're looking for?
Offtopic: I am so changing my name to that

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm gonna hijack this thread and ask:
Is a PSP worth it if i'm only interested in rpgs? No other genre, and no emulators, and a psp is usually the equivalent of $100 here.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
considering that with a CFW PSP you can emulate FF1 through 9, as well as other games like Persona, Monster Hunter, a whole slew of Tactical RPGS... yes its worth it.

Garuge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd also recommend the PSP, especially if your friends also have PSPs and you want multiplayer fun. I know a lot of people that have one, so finding a Tekken match or people to hunt Tigrex with is never hard.

There's also emulation. Really nice if you're into this. You can bring games you loved on the PS1/NES/SNES/GBA/etc. and play it on the go!

Slave

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I was EXACLY like you, gokujr1000, since the PSP is dying, I wanted one for the following reasons:
  • PSP running out of life = no need to wait for upcoming titles, everything good is already out
  • Hacking/homebrew scene already fully developped
  • Once hacked, it really is the best console for Emulation
So I checked the games... (like you I dont give a damn about movies), and even tho not a lot were super appealing, I did found out some cool looking one. so I got myself a PSP GO

Quite frankly I love it. I always been a Nintendo DS guy (seriously its my favorite console DS XL with a flashcard = RPG gamer's DREAM). But once the PSP is hack it opens the doors for a lot of cool stuff.

I checked A LOT if consoles for emulation... DS runs GBA and NES games super good... but forget SNES, I bought a Canoo console which is supposed to run all emulators super fine: wrong, it doesnt run PSX games too well, and forget MAME unless you want to play 1970s games.

PSP is incredible for emulators, NES, SNES, PSX, MAME (some MAME games doesnt work, but pretty rare)... pretty awesome really... I play more PSX games than actual PSP games. There was a lot of pretty awesome PSX RPGs (I'm a rpg fan in case you havent noticed). add to this library of games of the PSP, worldwide and the PSP minis.

it all comes down to games really. What do you like?
Considering you already hacked your console, and have access to the Emulator's extensive library, PSP has some cool games, all depending what you want.
  • RPGs: God Eater Burst, Brave Story, Corpse Party, White Knight Chronicles, Jeanne D'arc
  • Music game: Hatsume Miko Diva 1 & 2
  • Action: Metal Gear Solid, God of War, Undead knight, Kenka Bancho
  • Racing: Burnout dominator, Grand Turismo, Motorstorm, Wipeout
  • Adventure: Ultimate Ghost 'n' Goblins
  • Fighter: Blazblue, Soul Calibur
But I mostly play PSX RPGs: Galerians, Koudelka, Front Mission 3, Vangard Bandits... PSX games runs incredibly fine.

I do recommend getting a PSP. Or even a DS with a flash card... both consoles, both dying, both all good games are out and games uses the console's max power...

I you have few hundred bucks to spare on a cool gaming system, Go for it.

I got myself the PSP Go with 8gb internal memory... and I ended up buying a Memory expansion M2 card of 8gb for additionnal games to put on my PSP ;-)

Reactions: 1 person

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm gonna hijack this thread and ask:
Is a PSP worth it if i'm only interested in rpgs? No other genre, and no emulators, and a psp is usually the equivalent of $100 here.

Tales of the World (it ain't Tales Caliber, but hell it's pretty fun).
Tales of Eternia
FF7: Crisis Core
Disgaea
Ys
Valkyria Chronicles 2 (amazing)
Armored Core (does it count as an RPG? *shrugs*)
Phantasy Star
White Knight Chronicles
Final Fantasy
Most PS1 games

Yeah there's a few, and i'm sure I missed several. Too lazy to pull up my list. PSPs are dirt cheap and easily hacked, they are EASILY worth it.

gokujr1000

OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
I got myself the PSP Go with 8gb internal memory... and I ended up buying a Memory expansion M2 card of 8gb for additionnal games to put on my PSP ;-)

I'm getting a PSP Go for christmas actually ^_^ it seems like the way to go for Portable Gaming I love it's design and I've used it a couple of times and it feels perfect, by the way I love MAME games thanks for giving me the heads up that it can Emulate MAME Roms.

D

Deleted User

I recently picked up a 3000, & 16GB of memory. They're fantastic systems with plenty of games to keep one's self busy with for a long time to come. The emulation is superb as well, pretty much everything through PS1, with the exception of N64 (which is slowly progressing) because N64 architecture is awkward on limited PSP hardware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Whoever you disclose your gender identity to, keep it private between your friends.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    irl or online
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Always is online.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Pretty much.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    eh I don't keep it private, not much happens except idiots on TikTok making a fool of themselves
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    im still curious as to what a chaser is tho
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    A chaser is someone who uses (mostly trans) individuals to their advantage like I said.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    thats weird
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    blahaj will keep me safe
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    damn I forget my school blocks every video
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Right, yeah.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    dune 2 popcorn bucket
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Many schools use some form of firewall or protection, to prevent certain types of content from being viewable.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, And that haha
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school blocks stuff but allows some stuff, its annoying, they legit can see our screens if they want
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Nah. That popcorns got sand in it :(
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There was a time where we were able to bypass the school's network using a VPN that wasn't blocked on the radar. Can't exactly remember the name, but I was able to watch YouTube.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I used to go on proxy sites but I'm too lazy and it isn't worth it
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't...