So is Nintendo trying to forget Super Paper Mario happened?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Fawfulthegreat, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Fawfulthegreat
    OP

Fawfulthegreat Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2014
    United States
    Every Paper Mario game has tons of references to the previous one...except Sticker Star, which came directly after SPM. Super is my favorite Paper Mario game, I love its villains and story. And the gameplay feels smooth and satisfying. Yet it's the only Paper Mario that didn't get referenced at ALL in Smash 4 3DS. Sticker Star got a crapload of content, Thousand Year Door got part of the stage, the whale from 64 appears in said part of stage, what does that leave SPM with? Squat.

Unless it gets a reference in the Wii U version I'm sad to admit that they are officially trying to disown SPM. I mean, Sticker Star gave the other two PMs references in the jungle's trash pit, but none from Super (which was the most recent one at the time)

It was the only Mario RPG released for the Wii, what is so bad about it? I find it funny, deep and charming. Yet I see a lot of hate for it online and evidence that Nintendo is trying to forget it happened.

Mario RPGs in general get barely any references but Super Paper Mario takes the cake for least recognized RPG losing only to Super Mario RPG (which is owned by Square Enix, explaining its absence in other media)

So what are your opinions on SPM? I see it as an underrated gem.

2. LegendAssassinF

LegendAssassinF GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 12, 2012
    United States
    Princeton, New Jersey
    Super Paper Mario wasn't really like any other Paper Mario game is why I'm guessing.

3. Fawfulthegreat
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2014
    United States
    Neither was Sticker Star and Nintendo is hailing it as the face of the PM series.

4. LegendAssassinF

Dec 12, 2012
    United States
    Princeton, New Jersey

Super Paper Mario had no RPG elements at least Sticker Star had a real RPG fight system.

5. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    I liked SPM. I think you're reding into it wwwwaaaayyyyyy too much.

6. Fawfulthegreat
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2014
    United States
    Battle system isn't the only thing that defines an RPG. Super Paper Mario overall had more RPG elements than Sticker Star: Sticker Star was basically a Super Mario platformer with turn-based battles. Super Paper Mario was an RPG with platform-style gameplay. It had a level system unlike Sticker Star, and you could use items and collect stat-boosting cards (the HP-up hearts in Sticker Star is a lousy replacement for actually leveling up)

7. LegendAssassinF

Dec 12, 2012
    United States
    Princeton, New Jersey

Most people think of turn-based fighting to be what an RPG that makes an RPG. Even if you consider Super Paper Mario to be an RPG most people aren't going to agree that is like any of the other Paper Mario games. Super Paper Mario is definitely the Black Sheep of the Paper Mario series. It is a game like Zelda 2.... Just because you slap on the Paper Mario name onto it doesn't make it like other Paper Mario games.

8. Fawfulthegreat
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2014
    United States
    Nah, Super Paper Mario kept most of the traditions of the series. Merlon? Pit of 100 Trials? 8 chapters? Original characters? Level system? A decent story? Sticker Star has none of that, so it's definitely the black sheep. SPM also kept the general art style and enemy design of the previous games. Trust me, I've looked into it pretty deep, and turn-based battles is literally the only thing Sticker Star has in common with the first two. SPM has much more in common including what I mentioned above in addition to much more stuff like fighting partners, enemy tattling, original enemies like Clefts, etc.

And I know from experience that most people prefer SPM to Sticker Star.