So, is it safe/recommended to buy a Gateway now?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Berabouman, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Berabouman
    OP

Berabouman Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    Since the price of the MT card and Gateway is about the same, and both have multi-rom support, and most importantly, since Omega has been released, should I go ahead and get a Gateway?

I have read most of the threads regarding both carts but I thought I would create a last one asking for opinions before I actually make the purchase. Gateway isn't cheap :)

Also, does anyone have experience with buying from Cloudy Mall? They are apparently the official resellers in my region (Singapore)

2. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    Well, MT Card still doesnt have Eshop support, but it should be released in a couple of days (or so they say). So if thats a deciding factor for you, go with Gateway.

3. McHaggis

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    Gateway are definitely the innovators. However, they did brick devices, including ones owned by their customers, in a deliberate attempt to sabotage the competition. There's always an element of risk when using unauthorised hardware, though. Still, I know I'd have a hard time trusting them given recent events.

4. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    I do not trust them, but because homebrew devs are not releasing any way to disable sig checks nor are providing an alternative to Gateway's EmuNAND solution.Gateway is the only method of running a 7.1 EmuNAND and to run roms for now.

once sig checks have been disabled and RedNAND released, we will not need to rely on Gateway anymore as it should be possible to convert roms into Digital games and run them off of the console's SD card vs needing a flash cart.

I bit the bullet a week ago and ordered a Gateway after 2.1 Omega came out with support for pretty much all games, and possibly 100% safer to use.

5. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pokébro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    Personally, I'd say go with Gateway.

6. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    Gateway all the way m8! I'm prity confident that GW will implement online feature with roms and 3DSWare .CIA files as well very soon and again MT-Card will just wait and copy, it is a no brainer.

7. fatsquirrel
    This message by fatsquirrel has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, Apr 3, 2014, Reason: Off topic/Pointless.
    Apr 3, 2014
  8. Jojse

Jojse GBAtemp Regular

Jan 28, 2006
    Yes, Gateway is the best choise for 3DS now...

9. Reecey
    This message by Reecey has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, Apr 3, 2014, Reason: Reply to trashed post.
    Apr 3, 2014
  10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    So far there were no bricks involving Gateway 2.1 and tests show that the diagnostics tool bug has been fixed, but there is still no conclusive proof that would confirm or deny the presence of brick code. It's the best card on the market and appears safe, but the new launcher still has to be thoroughly combed through.

b00100100 likes this.
  11. b00100100

b00100100 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2009
    United States
    Gateway owner here - I have zero complaints about it, and would buy again if I could do a do-over. It is simply the best flash cart i've ever owned, but I've never owned a MT or Evo or any other card that can play 3DS games. I like it more than any of the 5 DS mode only cards I've owned.

12. gamesquest1
    This message by gamesquest1 has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, Apr 3, 2014, Reason: Reply to trashed post.
    Apr 3, 2014
  13. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    What makes the Gateway better than any old DS cart? Almost all DS mode carts have near 100% compatibility nowadays, support online, support homebrew, have no issues dealing with fragmented files, do not require running an exploit every time, just to name a few things. The in-menu game changing is neat, but other than that?

14. misterb98

misterb98 Moral Gateway User. Wat.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    Probably. When I saw 2.0 was in beta, I immediately canceled my order for MT-Card (which I had placed the day before, thinking Gateway was dead), and ordered a gateway. Its getting here this afternoon, and I'm real excited :)

15. DeadPixelMan

DeadPixelMan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2013
    United States
    I would say gateway as well, i wouldn't say im a gateway fan boy though since i really do own every single 3ds game i have on my gateway, i would say im a convenience fan boy.

16. fatsquirrel
    This message by fatsquirrel has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, Apr 3, 2014, Reason: Reply to trashed post.
    Apr 3, 2014
  17. gamesquest1
    This message by gamesquest1 has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, Apr 3, 2014, Reason: Reply to trashed post.
    Apr 3, 2014
  18. b00100100

b00100100 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2009
    United States
    You named it. I like the in-menu game changing feature of the Gateway more than the older DS game loading menus. I never really used the DS carts for homebrew.

19. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    If you want safe/recommended choice then listen to me:
    Update your 3DS to latest firmware and buy retail game.
    If you want pirate solution then you have to take some risk.

KazoWAR likes this.
  20. Berabouman
    OP

Berabouman Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    Yeah I know that any piracy involves some degree of risk. :)

So far it looks like Gateway is emerging the victor! I might get one soon from the looks of it

Anyone bought from Cloudy Mall before?

21. roxas-89

roxas-89 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    Egypt
    I regret not buying the gateway earlier I had my doubts to be honest took them a while to release the omega and I thought they abandoned their product like the acekard.

22. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    Tbh I think owners of the MT card don't have that much to worry about, they are clearly still adding to the card, so they will likely catch up to gateway.

Personally I prefer how gateway manages multi-rom etc but I wouldn't say MT is that bad of a second choice