Apple So I'm thinking of buying an iPhone

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, I'm looking to buy an iPhone... Nothing less than a 3GS of course. I've done a lot of digging and decided a brand new iphone 4 on contract or off contract is too expensive. Contracts lock me into high monthly payments no matter how good the up front price for the phone is. So I'm looking on eBay and found this little gem: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:X:AAQ:GB:1123

Its a 32GB iPhone 3GS for £250. Ticking all the right boxes for me, right memory, right type of iPhone, reasonable price and its unlocked. Do you guys reckon its a legit auction? I'm not a seasoned eBuyer and this person does have high feedback but I'm still wary. Also since its a buy it now or best offer auction I'm considering making an offer but jsut wondering how far back I should try. THinking of trying £150 but not sure if they would take that also not sure as to whether I'd end up being able to make a 2nd offer afterwards.

FInal problem is that my parents are going to HATE me for buying this :S. I'm supposed to be saving for university but I've been wanting a good smartphone for a while now and since I got my iPod last year I've found I love the iOS interface, bought a load of apps for it etc. this would entirely replace my iPod and mean I don't have to carry around 2 devices all the time. I'd also be able to sell my iPod 3rd Gen to make back a bit of what I'm spending. I still hate the horrible looks my parents give me when I consider spending large amounts of money though
frown.gif
What do yo guys think?

Final thing is to any UK users. You guys know much about GiffGaff? Once I've used up all my credit on my Orange PayG account (topped up £10 to try and get the Dolphin rewards for this month but it failed AGAIN so I ahve £20 credit left) I'm thinking of moving to it for cheap unlimited internet for £10 a month (along with unlimited texts and 250 free minutes). Never heard of them before today though so not sure how they are with signal etc.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I can't comment on the iPhone itself, but for the network you can go for t-mobile PAYG and just pay £20 for a 6 month unlimited (5GB fair usage) Internet booster. That's what I've done for my iPad 3G. Of course, if you make lots of texts/calls, you may just want to get a contract for it instead.

For eBay, beware that many phones sold there are stolen.

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That particular listing was bought by somebody for its full asking price.
Have found this iPhone 3GS going for Buy it Now at £230 but have talked to seller and he is willing to take £210 for it.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11051.m43.l...RTQ%3AGB%3A1123

Only issue is the crack up the middle of the backplate from the charging port. It is hard to see in the photo provided but I have asked for a better one from the seller. It seems to go from the middle of the charging port up to the first line of the copyright info. Any 3G(S) owners that can tell me how serious that is?

Edit: Got a more detailed pic than in the photos
P1010707.JPG

Doesn't look great I guess but this is eBay and Apple's devoted fanbase I'm dealing with. The phone is definitely in worse condition than I first thought...

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
I've been wanting a good smartphone for a while now and since I got my iPod last year I've found I love the iOS interface, bought a load of apps for it etc. this would entirely replace my iPod and mean I don't have to carry around 2 devices all the time. I'd also be able to sell my iPod 3rd Gen to make back a bit of what I'm spending.

This. This was my reasoning. It never worked (for me at least) till my dad started looking into smart phones and stuff. eventually i had him eating out my my hand and got an iphone 4 on Verizon.

DO IT. 1 you have tons of apps you already bought. They will come over to your phone, no money lost.
2.I device
3. Make a bunch back from your ipod.

EDIT dont i remember you ranting about the Apple Peal a while back? did you ever try one? Im curious.

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The old one is not worth the money. The new one took far too long to become available and is only for the 4th gen iPod.

Have looked into back cover replacements on iPhone 3GS and it looks quite complicated. Was considering Offering the guy £200 because it will cost me £10 for a new back cover. I have to decide on this particular one today though still not sure with the amount of scuffs and cracks on that back.

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry for the double post.

I can now definitely get this iPhone 3GS 32GB Unlocked for £210. Main problem is the crack in the back shown in the spoiler though its hard to tell due to the bad photography. What do you guys think? Is it worth it? I am really tempted. If I get this I can use up the rest of my Orange credit then switch to GiffGaff for cheap calls, texts and internet. Overall a lot cheaper than a new iPhone on contract (should be expected since its 2nd hand though)

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This kind of crack seem to be mandatory on used iPhone 3G and 3GS (my iPhone 3G and 3GS I bought on ebay both have those cracks near the dock connector), it's not really an issue, but be sure to protect your phone with a silicon case, because this crack is exactly over the GSM antenna if it gets damaged you'll have an expensive ipod touch.

Otherwise the 3GS is a good phone, check if it's officially unlocked if not avoid to update because software unlocking have some issues..

Also be prepared to see the 3GS firmware support to be discontinued very very soon (meaning many apps will require an higher firmware you wont be able to install).

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've asked and he says it doesn't have Cydia installed. Overall he seemed oblivious to jailbreaking in general. If I get it and find out its not factory unlocked I'll ask him to pay for however much it costs to unlock the phone.

I have an iPod Touch 3rd Gen at the moment. I'm happy with the speed etc. on it so an iPhone 3GS is alright to me. Adds the phone, adds the camera and its the same price I paid for my iPod when I bought it (and I've got someone lined up to buy my iPod Touch already).
Push comes to shove I'll ask the nearby Apple store how much it'll cost to repair while they still support the 3GS.

Edit: Argh, my parents are so against this its unbelievable. Mainly because I'm supposed to be saving for Uni in September. I'm probably not going to buy it to avoid pissing them off...
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay