So I'm planning on getting an Xperia Play...

Discussion in 'Android' started by Wintrale, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Wintrale
    OP

Wintrale GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 19, 2009
    Kent, England
    Mostly just what emulators there are, how well they work and how easy they are to install. I figure I'll probably have to stick to the SNES, Megadrive and suchlike, but it'd be nifty if I could get some PS1 and N64 games working on it, too. Obviously, the main reason I want the phone is for the game pad, so please refrain from pointing out "better" phones unless they have an actual game pad as well (I'm pretty sure there aren't any).

2. Centrix

Centrix Stop Poking the Moogle!

Aug 28, 2008
    United States
    Seattle,WA
    Why? you'd be better off buying a PSP Slim or PSP Go or just waiting until the wanna be 3DS Vita (No pun intended) comes out, (Not trying to start any more debates on how the Vita is shaping up to be a 3DS nock off, guys, lol.) simply put if your gonna get a phone to play emulators on it you may as well buy one with Android in it but your gonna be paying a pretty penny. I haven't heard very many great things about Sony's Xperia nor do I see any reason for them to be releasing it, especially with the Vita on the way. I doubt there are any emulators for the system/phone as it isn't out yet as far as I know and even if it is I doubt its been hacked to the degree of the PSP Slim.

3. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    Here's a thread about the Xperia Play, from what I've read the XP does a almost flawless job with emulation.

Installing the emulators are a piece of piss. Get the APK file and just install it on your XP without needing to modify your phone in any way. Also you can get PSX and N64 emulators and they apparently run relatively well. Suggested emus tend to be GBCoid, Gameboid,Snesoid, Gensoid, N64oid and FPSE.

1 person likes this.
  4. Terminator02

Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

Apr 10, 2010
    United States
    Somewhere near monkat
    The PS1 emulation is absolutely fantastic thanks to Yifan Lu. He's reverse-engineered Sony's emulator and released a tool that allows you to inject your own ISOs. N64, on the other hand, isn't that good.

Check out the PS1 converter, called PSXperia over here.

GBA works quite well with Gameboid, SNES works well, but I haven't really tried Genesis

Edit: All the standard emulators are incredibly easy to install, just drop a .apk file from the internet onto your SD card, then install it.

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Excuse me?

N64oid is quite awesome, tbh.

All I see is slight lag on loading, the games themselves are quite crisp.

Edit: The [Youtube] code seems to be dead in this version of the gui, it keeps changing to Media and then refuses to work.

1 person likes this.
  6. awssk8er

awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 26, 2007
    United States
    New Jersey
    I have it, and figured I would play games on it more than I do...

It's still a great phone, but kinda wish I got something else. The only thing is the emulators use real times saves (Which I don't like). Everything runs fine though. Even N64.

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I recon you don't use a gaming phone half as much when you have a console counterpart, that much is true.

The Mobile Games industry simply isn't developed enough just yet, all the phones get are the likes of Angry Birds, when they're capable of so, so much more.

8. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    I have the Play, I personally think it's a pretty good phone. But there's still a few things that need working out with the firmware.
    Emulators work fine, but the N64 one isn't that great yet (plays quite a few games at full speed though). But that's a given, since PC N64 emulators aren't that developed when you think about it.
    WTF? You can use in-game saves in most of the Android emulators... PSXperia has virtual memory cards if you don't like using the RTS.

9. SpaceJump

SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Aug 18, 2005
    Gambia, The
    Zebes
    I also have it and for emulators it's really great! I love the clicky buttons of the gamepad. I have also a PSP and as far as I see it the Xperia Play beats it in terms of emulation. Just try Yoshi's Island (SNES) or Mario Kart 64 with sound and compare and you'll see ;)

It's just nice to have a nearly complete retro library everywhere in your pocket B-)

10. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that. The Xperia Play plays games that the PSP struggles with (in emulators).
    It's also one of the reasons I stopped using my DStwo for my emulation needs.

1 person likes this.
  11. Zerosuit connor

Zerosuit connor Baby I'm Back ♥

Sep 17, 2010
    Eorzea
    :0 what a sexy phone.

12. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    I never use the SNES/GBA emulators on my DSTwo anymore.
    A great part of it is because of SNESoid and Gameboid.

However!
    There are two things I don't like that much on SNesoid and Gameboid.
    SNesoid: The sound is a bit higher-pitched that normal.
    Gameboid: The European version of FF VI Advance has weird color glitches (Haven't tested the US version yet, but the European version has the music and color restoration hacks.)

Not sure if I should sell the DSTwo and get an EZ-Flash Vi or keep it (since it's the special edition.)