So I'm getting an Xbox 360...

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by sjdestiny, Jun 19, 2007.

Jun 19, 2007
  1. sjdestiny
    OP

Newcomer sjdestiny Member

New Zealand
    Hey guys. [​IMG] [​IMG] I already have a Wii which i play very much, currently that is. Yesterday though, my dad told me that we won a free XBox 360 from some promo I do not know of. So the thing is, what should I do with it? I mean accessories, games? Should I mod it and stuff? If so what chip? Because I have no idea how it works.

PS: I do not know if it is core or w/ever.

Thanks in advance guys.

2. qusai

Member qusai GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    First, if it's the new Elite 360, I believe there still isn't a hacked firmware that works with it, so just hope it's either core or premium.
    If you plan on playing on Xbox Live, then don't mod it as you will get banned, but if you don't plan on using XBL then just get a firmware update instead of a modchip, it does the exact same thing but it's cheaper.
    As for games, i've only had mine for a couple of weeks so far, but i can tell you I really enjoyed gears of war, FEAR and Splinter Cell Double Agent. Still haven't played through any other games though.

3. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Wow! Lucky you!

I can help you at all though [​IMG] I would personally mod it. But I don't have a 360, so I don't know if online gaming is good (better than modding) or not.

4. DarkCamui

Member DarkCamui GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    Actually there's a new firmware called iExtreme which is undetectable by Xbox Live.

5. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Congrats on the win. Since you're getting the unit for free, your dad can get talked into all sorts of extras!

If it's a core system... get a hard drive for it immediately, don't worry about memory cards, hard drive takes their place.

Get an extra joyst.. oops, I mean controller, for your siblings, friends, AND DAD! At least one, wireless or wired, but it's nice to have a wired in case you're batteries go dead in your wireless unexpectedly.

Get Xbox Live... the online subscription.. go ahead and spring for a year's worth.

Get a points card or two, so you can buy online Xbox Live games (5 or 10 bucks each is what they come out to, but the cards call 'em "points", so 400 points=$5.00, 800 points=$10.00.)

As for games, check out this topic: Xbox 360 Essential Games List and find a game or two you like. Nice thing about the 360 is you can download demos of a lot of games right from your console and try before you buy.

Add me to your friends list, my gamertag is mthrnite.

Buy Rainbow Six Vegas and get online around 9 PM eastern and look for me!

Oh, and don't mod your box.

6. iza

Member iza gbatemp, the new crack

United States
    if you wanna experience the next level of play, dont mod it. it's all about the online play

7. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    Nope, never heard that story before. Never. Not at all.

While I can't say I know the specifics on the new firmware, I do know that many unintelligent, and now banned, people thought that the original firmware modifications were undetectable.

8. gov78

Member gov78 Ha made you Look

United Kingdom
    GET LIVE!
    i played it at my friends house i rocks
    Gears of War
    Crackdown
    Rainbowsix:Vegas

im gunna be getting a Xbox360 since im gunna start work with my uncle and get paid a week £250 which is about $500 im gunna get core because it cheaper with a hard drive and extra pad of course [​IMG]

9. iza

United States
    wha wha what?! core is in no way cheaper.... sure the initial purchase is... but factor in the HDD and it's the same price. plus you wont have to mess with wires

10. gov78

Member gov78 Ha made you Look

United Kingdom
    well it better than having dead xbox360 controllers

11. Kelli

Newcomer Kelli Member

Finland
    Buy another controller and Gears of War. With co-op with your friend it's just the best action shooter ever.

12. iza

United States
    a) spend 15 bucks and buy a new charge cord
    b) spend 15 bucks and buy a dual charger
    c) send me something i like and i'll send you my extra charge cord and battery [​IMG]

13. ceraphis

Member ceraphis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    lololol at people not knowing about iXtreme.

shame on you for acting like you know

Edit: not trying to be a hater or troll, but iXtreme does exist, and nobody who has used it has been understandably and proven...-ably banned.

14. Azimuth

Member Azimuth Chicken Teriyaki Boy!

Canada
    the firmware has been out for a while but it isn't a guarantee against bans, MS might have been recording flashed consoles and then dishing out bans once they come online. It sucks that they removed single layer backups but I guess you sacrifice function for security [​IMG]

15. jimmy j

Member jimmy j Awesome for hire.

United Kingdom
    Yeah, iXtreme is definitely real and online play looks pretty secure so far.

I would have my xbox re-flashed but I don't have the original firmware (or do I not need it?)

16. gordillo

Member gordillo GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    may I ask a link to see the availability of this firmware cause im thinkin of gettin the elite but if i can get the regular one modded the ill get that one instead

17. aslacker55

Member aslacker55 I like pie

United States
    You can read more about firmwares at xbox-scene. You can get the firmwares at xbins. The ixtreme firmware are only for samsung drives at the moment.

18. gordillo

Canada
    thank you [​IMG]

19. ceraphis

Member ceraphis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    true, not a guarantee, there is still a risk.

To each his own opinion....and now with that said, I firmly believe Microsoft wanted to make a big stink and just banned consoles that were using non-stealth backups, and got served, rather...f'ed in the A, when c4eva didnt waste any time, countered all possible routes into detection.

Anyhoo, while it is certainly possible M$ will come up with some newfangled way to ban people, I highly doubt it. I think they just wanted to throw that possibility of banning into the mix to make a little extra cash.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion and should not be thought of as a statement of fact in any way shape or form under USC Article 14, line 17, docket 12.

20. gordillo

Canada
    ok now can i ask when the firmware for the Elite is coming out? [​IMG] also is there a chip that you can turn on offline but turn off online?