War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I've been really wanting one, and I found a good one with a memory card and game for 80 bucks at school. It's a phat, but I have no idea what firmware it is.

Obviously, I'm trying to get CF on it, but I have NO idea how. I looked around, but I am thoroughly confused. I figured I'd ask you guys since you're the experts.

How exactly do I get custom firmware on a Phat? Please be specific. Links to tutorials and whatnot are fine, and appreciated.
How hard is it to get CF on a Phat?
What are the chances of bricking my PSP with CF?
Do I need any extra equipment other than a PSP and a memory card?
Can I play ANY PSP and japanese PSP game, and also any PSX and japanese PSX game?

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
I've been really wanting one, and I found a good one with a memory card and game for 80 bucks at school. It's a phat, but I have no idea what firmware it is.

Obviously, I'm trying to get CF on it, but I have NO idea how. I looked around, but I am thoroughly confused. I figured I'd ask you guys since you're the experts.

How exactly do I get custom firmware on a Phat? Please be specific. Links to tutorials and whatnot are fine, and appreciated.
How hard is it to get CF on a Phat?
What are the chances of bricking my PSP with CF?
Do I need any extra equipment other than a PSP and a memory card?
Can I play ANY PSP and japanese PSP game, and also any PSX and japanese PSX game?

If you want to be 100% sure that you will be able to mod it, you will want what's called the 'Pandora' mod. In a nutshell, you will need to make yourself a 'Pandora's Battery'. Since you're getting an older PSP Phat, you won't have a problem creating the battery. The EASIEST way to mod your battery and put a custom firmware on the PSP is probably through obtaining 'TOTALNewbieasyInstallerPandorasmenu'... You'll need to google it, since I believe it contains some copyright files, so I can't really tell you where to get it.

It will basically walk you through creating the Pandora battery and putting the custom firmware on the system.

Easy as pie
smile.gif

--Henry

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Wow, that's it? So I just need my phat, and follow the installer when I find it, and that's all? Awesome!

Any word on the games? Can I play all NTSC PSP and PSX isos?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wow, that's it? So I just need my phat, and follow the installer when I find it, and that's all? Awesome!

Any word on the games? Can I play all NTSC PSP and PSX isos?
Try to find out what version is your PSP, maybe you can easily mod it, even without using Pandora's Battery.

With Pandora's Battery there's a little problem, you have to create it (or buy one) using a modded PSP Fat. After that, you can use it on your Fat to downgrade it. There are out there downgraders that don't require to use Pandora's battery, but if you get a PSP with a firmware 3.50+ you have to use Pandora.

BTW, yes, PSP is region free.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Well... I'm not sure what FW it is. I'm gonna meet up with the guy tomorrow morning to inspect the PSP, so how do I check it?

Also, he doesn't know how to customize his PSP, so he never installed CF on it or anything. However, he did say that he updates whenever it tells him to, so I guess that's bad?

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well... I'm not sure what FW it is. I'm gonna meet up with the guy tomorrow morning to inspect the PSP, so how do I check it?

Also, he doesn't know how to customize his PSP, so he never installed CF on it or anything. However, he did say that he updates whenever it tells him to, so I guess that's bad?
He did the updates?
unsure.gif
You have to hope that it's still something like 2.71 or 2.80... After that you would either need a copy of Lumines (easy to find around for cheap) and upgrade to 3.50 and then use downgrader from there, or a Pandora's Battery (easiest solution... but you still need a friend with a modded PSP)
tongue.gif

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So how do I check it? I'll check it tomorrow morning.

If it's past 2.80, I guess I might not buy it...
Oh yeah forgot about that.

Just go into SETTINGS > System Settings > System Information.

If there are some letters after the number (like M33, HX, SE or OE), it's already modded, but it's unlikely as you said.

If he has only played old games (nothing released in a year or so), it's likely that it's under 2.80.

Here you can find info about the 2.80 downgrader.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Don't spread false info, raulpica, you do NOT need a friend with a PSP that can run homebrew. Just follow ediblebird's guide, War, all you need is the installer that can be found if you *cough*bangsomebytes*cough*

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Don't spread false info, raulpica, you do NOT need a friend with a PSP that can run homebrew. Just follow ediblebird's guide, War, all you need is the installer that can be found if you *cough*bangsomebytes*cough*
It's not false info, I was not just taking in consideration hardmodding the battery because it's ALMOST 100% sure that War would never do something like this:
repairablepandorayv3.jpg

Or this:
cutzr2.jpg

Or this:
psp_pandora.jpg

So to Pandorize a battery she still needs someone with a PSP that can run homebrew.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Okay guys, I need a really fast reply, please.

I got the guy on AIM, but hes leaving soon. He has a good condition PSP Phat 3.71 FW, or a semi Ok Phat with 2.6.

Which do I take?

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Okay guys, I need a really fast reply, please.

I got the guy on AIM, but hes leaving soon. He has a good condition PSP Phat 3.71 FW, or a semi Ok Phat with 2.6.

Which do I take?
If you get the one with 2.6 you can downgrade it yourself without any problems.

EDIT: I'm not too sure though. It has been a long time since I downgraded a 2.6 PSP. If I remember correctly, you have just to upgrade it to 2.80 and then use an EASY downgrader to 1.5. There shouldn't be any problems, as said on the Noobz homepage.

123noob321

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if i remember right.. i ask pretty much every question ever here you'll probably want somebody to verify if this info is up-to-date as i have no idea...because..well, i never ended up getting a psp
unsure.gif
i couldn't find a good cheap used one and i didnt have enough money otherwise..
laugh.gif
:'(

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, I bought a Datel Tool Battery. No need for opening any batteries. If you're willing to wait for a little while to receive the Datel Tool Battery, get the 3.71. Pandora can downgrade any firmware. (Pretty sure, I know it works with 3.71 though)

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, I bought a Datel Tool Battery. No need for opening any batteries. If you're willing to wait for a little while to receive the Datel Tool Battery, get the 3.71. Pandora can downgrade any firmware. (Pretty sure, I know it works with 3.71 though)

Yeah, it can downgrade any firmware. Downgraded the past week a 3.80 Slim.

Ugh... still don't know which to pick. Im leaning towards the 2.8, but the scratches really turn me off. Is it hard to replace the shell of a PSP?
I never changed a case, so I dunno...
unsure.gif
But seeing this, it seems pretty easy to me.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I found out that the 2.8 is actually a 2.6, which I hear is a piece of cake to downgrade.

Is a Pandora's Battery hard to find/ expensive? Because he moved the price up to 90 bucks, and after that, Ill be literally drained of all money.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah, it can downgrade any firmware. Downgraded the past week a 3.80 Slim.

Ugh... still don't know which to pick. Im leaning towards the 2.8, but the scratches really turn me off. Is it hard to replace the shell of a PSP?

I never changed a case, so I dunno...
unsure.gif
But seeing this, it seems pretty easy to me.

It's very easy to change a case. Not much harder than taking the face plate off.

I found out that the 2.8 is actually a 2.6, which I hear is a piece of cake to downgrade.

Is a Pandora's Battery hard to find/ expensive? Because he moved the price up to 90 bucks, and after that, Ill be literally drained of all money.

You can order a Datel Tool battery from amazon.co.uk for 12.99 euros, or roughly $20.00 (USD), the US site doesn't have them unfortunately.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol