So I'll be upgrading to Windows 10 after all

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Incompatibilities. It's actually a lot more in depth than I have to explain. I mean, YOU CAN. Just never recommended die to possible long term issues.

What about retaining my apps? I really don't want to have to go through the PITA process of resintalling every damned app on my Win 7 installation. Clean install, no thanks, I don't want to do that if I don't have to.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, I was afraid of that, so I do indeed have to overtake my Win 7 installation and have the Windows 10 upgrade overwrite that, in order to retain all installed apps. Ugh. Cloning would take far too long, 1 TB to 1 TB would take hours.

Is there no way at all to keep Windows 7 as a fail safe? Even if I have to reactivate?
I'm a little confused about what it is you want. If you want the same setup you have now except with Windows 10, then there's nothing stopping you from doing an upgrade install that keeps all of your files and programs. If you want to install Windows 10 to a second HDD but you also want the second HDD to have everything that's on your first HDD, then the easiest way to do it is to clone your HDD before doing an upgrade install that keeps all of your copied files and programs. If you're going to complain about how long that would take, I don't know what to tell you. Copying large amounts of data takes time, and that's the price of using a second HDD. If you're not married to the idea of having all of the same programs and files on both hard drives, then you can cut out the HDD-cloning part.

Even if I'm past the "free upgrade" period? Because I was too pusillanimous to upgrade, so I didn't when I had the chance ><
If you use the gatherosstate.exe method, you can update to Windows 10 as if it were still the free upgrade period.

Upgrading to a major OS revision should mean a clean install. Upgrading from 7 to 8.1 caused problems. Going from 8.1 to 10 caused compatibility issues.

It's just best to do it clean.
I agree that clean installs are preferred, but upgrades are generally okay, and the OP wants something specific that would be accomplished by an upgrade installation.

Why can't I just keep Windows 7 and simply reactivate it and install new drivers?
You can keep your Windows 7 installation on a separate partition or HDD. If you want the same files and programs on a Windows 10 partition or HDD, then you need to copy those over beforehand.

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
More cables? What? I have an external 2 TB USB HDD and the PC has two 1 TB HDDs (one with Windows 7, the other with backed up data, sporadically). Is there absolutely no way I can keep Windows 7 instead of going through this? Wouldn't a clone be better than
an image?

I'm not here to debate with others on why Windows 10 etc etc, I'm here for advice.
i think you can clone, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

try that maybe?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about retaining my apps? I really don't want to have to go through the PITA process of resintalling every damned app on my Win 7 installation. Clean install, no thanks, I don't want to do that if I don't have to.
You can do an upgrade install, and everything will probably be just fine.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can do an upgrade install, and everything will probably be just fine.

I'm not trying to confuse people, I'm trying to figure out what I have to do to make sure it all goes well. Sure, I can clone or image my HDD (which takes forever seeing as they're two 1 TB HDDs), but that wouldn't help, really. I can back up what I need to on USB HDDs, so I have a few to spare that I can use.

I'll look at what I have to backup first, and my bro is coming down the 18th, when he's bringing the much better hardware (and the new GPU should work too), hopefully my 650 W PSU is enough. I'm sorry for confusing everyone, I have to sort things out before I jump the gun to 10.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Upgrading to a major OS revision should mean a clean install. Upgrading from 7 to 8.1 caused problems. Going from 8.1 to 10 caused compatibility issues.

It's just best to do it clean.
Honestly why is it a problem @the_randomizer?
Clean install is better, and reinstalling programs only take a while, but you will be sure everything works properly.

Reactions: Kioku

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not trying to confuse people, I'm trying to figure out what I have to do to make sure it all goes well. Sure, I can clone or image my HDD (which takes forever seeing as they're two 1 TB HDDs), but that wouldn't help, really. I can back up what I need to on USB HDDs, so I have a few to spare that I can use.

I'll look at what I have to backup first, and my bro is coming down the 18th, when he's bringing the much better hardware (and the new GPU should work too), hopefully my 650 W PSU is enough. I'm sorry for confusing everyone, I have to sort things out before I jump the gun to 10.
What is your end goal, to have two operating systems? And you want both operating systems to have the same files and programs? That's where the confusion comes in. If I were you, I would pick which OS is going to be my primary OS (probably Windows 10) and have all of my programs and files on that OS. If I'm going to have a secondary OS (Windows 7), then I would just do a clean installation of that OS on my second HDD or partition.

Following the hypothetical scenario above, this is what I would do:
  1. Backup anything important
  2. Do an upgrade install of Windows 10 on my primary HDD using the gatherosstate.exe method.
  3. Do a clean install of Windows 7 on my secondary HDD

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is your end goal, to have two operating systems? And you want both operating systems to have the same files and programs? That's where the confusion comes in. If I were you, I would pick which OS is going to be my primary OS (probably Windows 10) and have all of my programs and files on that OS. If I'm going to have a secondary OS (Windows 7), then I would just do a clean installation of that OS on my second HDD or partition.

Following the hypothetical scenario above, this is what I would do:
  1. Backup anything important
  2. Do an upgrade install of Windows 10 on my primary HDD using the gatherosstate.exe method.
  3. Do a clean install of Windows 7 on my secondary HDD

I don't know what I truly want, I hear good and bad about Windows 10 (invasive updates, no control over anti-piracy detection, software compatibility issues, etc). Windows 7 is obviously out as the main OS because it would have so many issues with new motherboard drivers, new CPU drivers, etc it wouldn't be worth keeping. I'm glad that Windows 10 can retain most of the apps I deem important, I mean sure I could reinstall the games, but it would take quite a while. If I can avoid the pain of doing so, I will. I did some thinking and going with the free-upgrade-to-keep-all method as being the one I'll go with. I'll back up all passwords, saved sites, etc as well. I'm sorry again, for stressing people out, I just well, didn't expect to get a free upgrade, much less this soon :P :lol: I'll back up once more today or in the next few days. And get a new PSU because mine's starting to have incompatibilities with newer GPUs than what I have.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
invasive updates
You have full control over updates. In the normal Windows Update settings, you can choose between security or feature updates, you can pause updates for up to 35 days, etc. You can also use the Group Policy Editor to access the same Windows Updates settings from Windows 7 (e.g. Download only but let me choose when to install, Install Automatically, don't check, etc.).

no control over anti-piracy detection
That's not a legitimate criticism. My computer is a mess of pirated software, games, videos, etc.

software compatibility issues
That's a possibility. You might want to run an upgrade compatibility advisory and/or do some supplementary research on the software that is important to you.

Windows 7 is obviously out as the main OS because it would have so many issues with new motherboard drivers, new CPU drivers, etc it wouldn't be worth keeping.
And it loses all support in less than three years.

I'm glad that Windows 10 can retain most of the apps I deem important, I mean sure I could reinstall the games, but it would take quite a while. If I can avoid the pain of doing so, I will. I did some thinking and going with the free-upgrade-to-keep-all method as being the one I'll go with. I'll back up all passwords, saved sites, etc as well. I'm sorry again, for stressing people out, I just well, didn't expect to get a free upgrade, much less this soon :P :lol: I'll back up once more today or in the next few days. And get a new PSU because mine's starting to have incompatibilities with newer GPUs than what I have.
Make sure you do the gatherosstate.exe method. If you're confused on how to do it, let us know.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows 10 upgrade is still free : https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/accessibility/windows10upgrade

There is nothing forcing you to use any of the accessibility features to upgrade.

Directx 12 is a good enough reason to switch to windows 10 imo.

My GPU doesn't support it, I don't think? So it wouldn't do me a whole lot of good without a newer GPU *shrug*. I'll need to back up my stuff first, and wait for the
new hardware to arrive, before I do any of this. That, and I need a new PSU, mine doesn't support anything past a 660 GTX.

@Lacius I found the guide on the gatherosstate.exe method, it's pretty straightforward, I just can't have WiFi enabled until I'm done. And there is the accessibility method.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what I truly want, I hear good and bad about Windows 10 (invasive updates, no control over anti-piracy detection, software compatibility issues, etc). Windows 7 is obviously out as the main OS because it would have so many issues with new motherboard drivers, new CPU drivers, etc it wouldn't be worth keeping. I'm glad that Windows 10 can retain most of the apps I deem important, I mean sure I could reinstall the games, but it would take quite a while. If I can avoid the pain of doing so, I will. I did some thinking and going with the free-upgrade-to-keep-all method as being the one I'll go with. I'll back up all passwords, saved sites, etc as well. I'm sorry again, for stressing people out, I just well, didn't expect to get a free upgrade, much less this soon :P :lol: I'll back up once more today or in the next few days. And get a new PSU because mine's starting to have incompatibilities with newer GPUs than what I have.
I mean, there's a lot of legitimate criticism of Windows 10 and definitely a lot of concern over things such as privacy, but it's not this "catastrophic malware privacy scam" that certain people are hyping it up to be. The truth of the matter is that millions of PCs run Windows 10 and for the vast, vast majority, nothing will ever happen. Really, you're fine. The only thing to really worry about with Windows 10 is if you like it over other options, such as OSX or Linux, and if it serves your needs. But since it seems you'll be gaming, you don't really have much of a choice. It's foolish to try and game on anything but Windows.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your best off doing a clean install and a fresh install of your favorite apps, everything will run better and be less glitchy. Plus if your worried about space this will be the least amount of space you can use.

Windows 10 is fine, you might have to fight with it a little at first but after you learn it, it's not very different than Windows 7.
(I do use a privacy program, and remove a few apps with CCleaner though, and there is some settings that I would advise changing to make things more like 7, also install Classic Shell.... It's a must.)

Anyway 10 is better in some ways, 7 is better in others. Classic Shell being a required install pisses me off but "This is my life now" at least I can make it work like 7.

Edit: Also yeah no matter where a game or app is installed, unless it runs from a folder... You will have to reinstall it under any OS as far as I know.

Last edited by Psionic Roshambo,
Reactions: HaloEliteLegend

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: