So if i mod my Wii can I update and still use homebrew?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by blueoakleyz, Oct 4, 2008.

1. blueoakleyz
    OP

Member blueoakleyz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Say in the future they have a version 3.5 and it's required to play a new game such as Wii Sports 2 or Punchout... if I get my Wii modded can I go ahead and upgrade to 3.5 and still use homebrew and all that?

2. saulin

Member saulin GBAtemp Regular

It's hard to say what will happen in the future and if Nintendo will patch current exploits through firmware updates. One thing is for sure. Nintendo can force you to update your firmware to play some games. Although it is also possible that some loader may become available that will load the game anyways without having to update.

As of now though. You can upgrade to the latest firmware 3.3 and also downgrade if you want. Something that wasn't possible at the beginning of this year for example. I haven't actualy played a game yet that requieres firmware 3.3.

However I heard from someone that some wiiware game needed 3.3 and he updated to 3.3 and then downgraded to 3.2 using the downgrader and the game that requiered 3.3 to play still worked after.

3. blueoakleyz
    OP

Member blueoakleyz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ah ok
    I have HBC and wad manager etc is it hard to downgrade?
    I don't want to be stuck at 3.3

but good to hear that games aren't requiring an update for the most part.