Hacking So....I want to make an Atomic Purple DS lite.

JDMEVOIXMR

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I found my old Gameboy Color, and I remember when I first got it when I was 9 years old. We were about to depart for the Philippines, and I remember my parents taking me to target, and buying me my Atomic Purple GBC with Pokemon Yellow and Pokemon TCG. Then I fell in love, I was glued to it during the whole trip, I barely even looked up! Anyways, enough with the nostalgia, here's my idea.

We take something like a ghost case or any clear DS lite case.
shock_ds_lite_clear_case.jpg

+ Some purple window paint or something like it, glass paint, whatever.
215SbRh5H+L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Century-Novelty-Purp...t/dp/B000NBKUVU

+ Clear Coat.

OR

Clear Blue DX Replacement Case
sku_10859_1.jpg

+ Red Lens Paint
http://www.racinglab.com/sprayonlenpa.html

(Would that make atomic purple or close?!?)
unsure.gif

Hopefully the end result would be a DS lite in this color:
800px-Nintendo_gameboy_colour_clear_plastic_shell_Dec2007.jpg

jeklnoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it will work. I think the purple color needs to be mixed with the plastic, not sprayed on. But you can try it and see what happens.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
This thread makes me feel old, I got my GBC and DR64 flashcart when I was on my summer holidays after my first year of uni. Not entirely sure what result you'll get out of this but I'd be interested to find out, be sure to post some pics if you go through with it.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
no idea if it will work, but I do have a suggestion. instead of putting the window paint on the outside and clear coating, put the window paint on the inside of the case, that is how they stop the paintwork on RC cars getting scratched up.

another idea would be to dye the plastic, I seem to remember reading that it is possible to do with normal fabric dye, RC car people do it I think.

*googles*

yup, http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa38...907/ai_n8867845

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Best bet would be to test the paint on a piece of clear plastic (pick up a cheap storage box with a clear or slightly frosted plastic lid in Poundland or something) and see what comes out before deciding whether to buy the shock case.

The original GBC has a very soft colour to it, I think you'll have trouble emulating that exact shade. I reckon the colour would be darker as you'd lose some of the transparency with the extra layer of paint. If you put the paint on the inside... hm might be worth checking how warm the DS gets while charging compared to how much heat it takes to melt the paint, I know jack all about paint so I have no idea if that would be an issue but it's worth looking into before sticking it around the battery door at least.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: If you want a good system to port it to, at least have a good programmer and knowledge.