So I want to hack my 3ds... lets cut to the chase

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Gorkensnorkel, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Gorkensnorkel
    OP

Gorkensnorkel GBAtemp Regular

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    I have been reading through the tutorials here but the dates for them vary widely and I know enough to be wary of a 6 month old tutorial when installing CFW on a new system. I have been reading some of the tutorials here and from what i can glean I am guessing I want to install a CFW called Luna3ds to run roms from an SD card, right? And in order to install that I need to jailbreak the 3ds using a method like "A9LH" or something like that, yeah? I have the Hyrule Edition 3ds XL on firmware version 9.2 and I'm not going to say how much it set me back but I would rather NOT brick it. So my questions are:

1) What is the BEST way to hack the 3ds and what is the SAFEST way and is there a difference in the end result?

2) What CFW do I really want to install to best run ROM's from a SD card?

Here are the two guides I am looking at so far:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...s-full-menuhax-rednand-autoboot-setup.432499/

https://3ds.guide/

Any insight into this would save me a lot of time and be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Edit: Oh, and I just bought Pokemon Moon... will i be able to play that online with a hacked 3ds? o.O

Last edited by Gorkensnorkel, Dec 14, 2016
  2. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Lilith Valentine likes this.
  3. Somebody Whoisbored

Somebody Whoisbored it's all okeydokey

May 12, 2016
    United States
    hypeland
    There's nothing you can really do to decrease your chances of a brick (although the chance is tiny). Just follow http://3ds.guide/ as closely as you can. For the best CFW, I prefer Luma as it is essentially noob-proof. It also has signature patches which will allow playing CIAs (or just installable titles) off the SD card. Also, you should be fine playing Pokemon Moon. Also the guide shows you how to install Luma.

4. Gorkensnorkel
    OP

Gorkensnorkel GBAtemp Regular

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    Thanks for the replies!

Edit: Just one more question if anyone is still listening...

Once you change over to CFW does the CFW allow you to run games that require higher/current firmware?

Last edited by Gorkensnorkel, Dec 15, 2016
  5. Somebody Whoisbored

Somebody Whoisbored it's all okeydokey

May 12, 2016
    United States
    hypeland
    With CFW, you should always be safe to update. I would still check just in case.

6. Molina

Molina My title? It's gone,... like the last fuck I gave.

May 14, 2016
    France
    Since you have a CFW, there is no need for you to stay on lower firmware if all you do is usual gaming.
    I know that before, you had to spoof cia to use some on lower firm. I think luma & cobernik can do it natively.

Worst case... It won't boot and you have to do a spoofed (is that a word?) cia.

7. wiiu more like pee u

wiiu more like pee u GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    United States
    CFW like Luma3DS are constantly being updated and will allow you to run the latest games no problem. Other old CFW's dont have this feature, and that's why Luma3DS is the most popularCFW right now.

8. adrifcastr

adrifcastr GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2016
    Germany
    Actually Luma3DS is NOT a Custom Firmware, its just a Signature Patcher

9. Gray_Jack

Gray_Jack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Signature patch is just one of many features... None 3DS CFW are a true CFW, but still, it does almost everything that a true CFW does, so we can call it CFW