So I thought the keys invalidated the need for cfw

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by rhoobarb, Jan 10, 2011.

1. rhoobarb
    OP

Newcomer rhoobarb Member

United Kingdom
    Sorry if I missed something, but I thought that when they found/released the kirk keys then there would be no use for custom firmware to play homebrew/backups.
    Since then there's been a pile of custom firmware showing up. So now I'm confused. I'm actually only interested in the psp. I have a ps3 but I intend to buy ico hd, and the last guardian, and tesv. I'm just wondering why they're using custom firmware when they apparently dont need to

2. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    In this case custom firmware just makes it easier to install prog packages without the need for a jailbreak dongle.

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The PS3 won't let you run stuff directly from the harddrive without installing it, but the install option is not available in the normal firmware (it's hidden), so a customization adds it.

4. Ritsuki

Member Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    Is it possible to install a CFW, install an app, then revert to original FW and keep the installed app ?

5. pikachu945

Member pikachu945 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    yes I tried that today and it works 100% when I reverted from geohot cfw to ofw

6. cacildo

Member cacildo Went and came back

Bahamas, The
    How easy it is for Sony to notice a system using CFW?

Its impossible to create a untraceble CFW?

7. rhoobarb
    OP

Newcomer rhoobarb Member

United Kingdom
    I'm not sure, but I thought that once the keys were known then nobody needed a 'jailbreak dongle' or any custom firmware. I'm not a complete noob (hard to tell I know). But I used to do assembler on various little machines. The way I understood it was either a simple patch to an iso or another program patch thing before you run the backup. This custom firmware stuff seems to be going backwards. I admit that I could have been totally misunderstanding the big news about keys being found. I had kids since my programming days so I've got an excuse [​IMG]

My brains could have been scrambled! [​IMG]

8. Ritsuki

Member Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    We don't know yet. We'll have to wait for Sony's answer to that hack.

9. rhoobarb
    OP

Newcomer rhoobarb Member

United Kingdom
    Hi Rydian, thanks for answering. I thought you could install stuff normally as you would a new game/whatever that you just bought from the shop that was on a cd, just as long as it contained the right keys. You know patch iso and write to cd or dvd etc. Official firmware should be obsolete if you have the keys. (or so the news and forums have been telling us)

I could have read it wrong though, but that was the impression I got from the forums.

10. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Installing from a disc and installing from the harddrive are two different things as far as the official software of the PS3 is concerned, so this CFW skates around that issue until a better solution is found.