Hacking So I think my PS3 is already hacked, but I'm not sure

JustAGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a really long time since I've touched my PS3 (haven't turned it on for AT LEAST 7 years). If it is already hacked, then my friend did it for me.

It is on version 4.50 and I had the game Dead Nation "purchased" on it. It is also the phat version with CECHA01, so NAND.

I want to know if it's possible to just use the standard tutorials in order to update to 4.82 and install rebug, but I know trying to hack an already hacked device can cause it to become a brick.

What can I do to safely update my PS3 whether it is hacked or not?

SonicMC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a guide.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-ps3-4-82-cfw-installation-for-dummies.491117/

I would read it several times to make sure you understand it before going forward. I know I had to when I installed cfw to mine.

edit:
if it is already hacked then you may be able install packages and stuff from the xmb... might depend on cfw. might also be able to look at the system info where it says 4.5 or 3.55 and see if it says rebug something else after it.

Last edited by SonicMC,

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would know if it was hacked from the splash before the XMB showed and ★ Package installer would show under Game.

Use this guide (steps 1-5) to install 4.82 CFW. Sub in whichever CFW you want. I think most people use REBUG but I have tried multiple CFWs over the years and there really isn't much difference for typical usage.

JustAGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a guide.
I would read it several times to make sure you understand it before going forward. I know I had to when I installed cfw to mine.

edit:
if it is already hacked then you may be able install packages and stuff from the xmb... might depend on cfw. might also be able to look at the system info where it says 4.5 or 3.55 and see if it says rebug something else after it.

If it's already hacked and I follow the guide, will I brick my system?

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'll be fine. If you get stuck in a boot loop, etc then you will have to go into safe mode and — worst case scenario — wipe the data on the drive.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You can always restore a PS3 to "fully unmodified state" by installing OFW twice, so that the ROS hashes (which are about the current and previous OS) are reset too

And of course, the easiest test (not foolproof in general - but it is on 4.x) is to just try installing a CFW's PS3UPDAT.PUP!

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is on version 4.50 and I had the game Dead Nation "purchased" on it. It is also the phat version with CECHA01, so NAND.

I want to know if it's possible to just use the standard tutorials in order to update to 4.82 and install rebug, but I know trying to hack an already hacked device can cause it to become a brick.

The only brick I can think of is if you had converted your cex to dex with rebug, that should be pretty obvious though as you should have install packages and you would be able to install rebug toolbox (if it's not there already).

If you think it's already hacked then boot into recovery mode and try to install rebug 4.82.

Last edited by smf,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Purple_Heart was a SSD worth it? Did it make a significant diference?\