1. Mandikiri

OP Mandikiri Princess

United States
    So long story short, my switch for the past couple days has been getting extremely hot whenever I play. To the point it goes to sleep mode if it gets too hot. So I figured I ordered a fan and thermal paste to open it, everything is going well until I get to one specific screw. I noticed that it was a bit stripped but I proceed to try to take it off, as I kept trying it ended up in a very bad shape, I ended stripping the hell out of the screw as you guys can see. The other screws are fine since I was very careful.

But I have tried many things to take it off and I can't. I've read to drill a hole in it but I do not know which tools to use. Was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to the tools to take this screw off.

Attached Files:

2. Snomannen_kalle

Snomannen_kalle GBAtemp Regular

Norway
    I would use a pillar drill -- that way you ensure that the drill only moves down into the screw and doesn't mess up your shell, and you can easily and very precisely decide how deep into the screw you want to drill. If there are any hackerspaces near you, they might have one

3. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Sweden
    First and easiest method is to use a wide and thick rubberband. Put the screwdriver in it and try to turn it.
    Sometimes a flathead can unscrew what have happened here. But you really make sure it fits snuggly so it won't damage the screw more.

One extreme method you can use is superglue. Make sure the glue gets in the screw hole and no where else, then put in a Philips head, and slowly turn it. You will need to apply some pressure.

Lightyose and satan89 like this.
  4. KiiWii

KiiWii Reporter
    Reviewer

United Kingdom
    I saw someone solder another screw to the top of the stripped screw and when set; unscrews it from the top screw.

lol.

Lightyose, sorabora and Madridi like this.
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Drilling is the last resort and I wouldn’t recommend it unless you know what you’re doing. I’d try pressing a rubber band into the hole (though I’ve personally never had success with this method), super glue, then soldering. If everything fails then it’s time to bring out the drill.

6. Lucif3r

Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Soldering another screw on top of another screw can work... However, the risk is fairly high you melt the plastic the screw is screwed into, causing even more damage. Theres also a risk of the solder finding its way downwards, and in turn seizes the screw even more in its place.

I would definitely use a drill over soldering. You only need to drill the head of the screw after all, once the head is gone and you got the device taken apart, you can unscrew the body of the screw with pliers.

TheCasualties and Mandikiri like this.
  7. Mandikiri

OP Mandikiri Princess

United States
    Would you redirect me which drill on Amazon I should use? Just want to make sure I buy the correct one.

8. Benjay

Benjay Hardstyle Addict

France
    First thing I would try is to use a flathead screwdriver, by the look of your picture it looks like it would work easily (just need to find a flathead with the correct size).

9. Mandikiri

OP Mandikiri Princess

United States
    I've tried multiple flatheads. None of them worked.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Which drill bits would you recommend?

10. Canna

Canna Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom

United States
    Reposted from another thread.
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-side-rail.550522/page-2

Last edited by Canna, May 28, 2020
  11. Snomannen_kalle

Snomannen_kalle GBAtemp Regular

Norway
    As the others in this thread has already said, you should only use this method as a last resort. That said -- I am sorry to say, I don't really know anything about drills; when I had this problem, I used the drill in the local hackerspace where I live. Something like this is what I used, but I imagine something smaller (e.g. a drill stand like this one) might suffice. You might want to google a bit and read around

12. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Gosh that is the wrong screw to strip since it is center one, for future use a kit that is design for the switch teardown like this, as for that stripped screw not sure if there an extractor bit small enough for the screw size.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HG3P9CM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

13. Artwebb

Artwebb Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    Looks pretty square to me, i'd get a robertson screw driver set and try that.

14. jhSW

jhSW Newbie
    Newcomer

Australia
    Micro GraBit, Seem good for small screws. Be careful.

Some other tricks

Edit: Added another vid.

Last edited by jhSW, Jun 4, 2020
  15. sorabora

sorabora GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just wanted to chime in and report to OP that this worked for me in the past.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - stripped, screws, Switch