Hardware So i still got this fake micro sd card from ebay...

Bubbypop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So i still have this fake micro sd card which is supposed to be 64gb as i posted beforr but is there anyway i can use it as a normal sd card for my switch.thanks

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the sd card does not match the description of the ebay listing, you can contact ebay and get your money back. They are really hard on sellers for stuff like that.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it will not work like a regular SD card, just do what Pluupy said, just file a case on ebay saying item description doesn't match, you should be able to get your money back, it should have size around 59.6 Gb, if it way off then that is an indication it is fake, and you can also run software like H2testw and ChipGenius to test the SD card.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're not used to eBay, or buying electronics on the internet in general, it's easy to find cheap, fake products. My guess is the OP did a search on eBay for a 64GB MicroSD card and then did the search filter as Price Low to High. And bam a bunch of Chinese sellers selling the exact same product he received for $4.99. Couple things for the future, 1. Buy brand name. 2. Brand name SD cards are so cheap because they're mass produced. And 3. Don't buy from eBay unless you know what you're buying. Always search for your country only and eliminate ordering from China at all costs no matter if the price is cheap. It's kind of obvious at this point why it's so cheap.

Reactions: jesterscourt

wvsgnovize

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In theory, you COULD most likely reformat it in a way that the actual capacity gets detected correctly.
HOWEVER, since its most likely the cheapest technology you can buy for a bag of rice, it WILL break down quite soon (leading to data corruption) and the data transfer WILL be extremely slow (leading to long load times). Worst case scenario, it could even permanently damage your Switch, because who knows what's actually in the damn thing.

TLDR: Not worth it; you got you money back, so toss that card in the garbage and move on.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd suggest you get SD cards from Newegg if your payment is paypal and they don't sell fakes. Cheap print branded SD cards are fake just by looking at the price

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I got a refund for it but havent asked for it to be sent back so i thought ied keep it and use it .
Format it to the real capacity, I'm pretty sure I already told you this in the previous thread. But I suggest not using it for important data as the flash memory could be low quality and randomly corrupt. If you just use it for the Switch that should be fine, as saves are stored in the internal memory anyway, so at most you lose games stored on it and have to redownload them, as well as losing any screenshots that are stored on it.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Format it to the real capacity, I'm pretty sure I already told you this in the previous thread. But I suggest not using it for important data as the flash memory could be low quality and randomly corrupt. If you just use it for the Switch that should be fine, as saves are stored in the internal memory anyway, so at most you lose games stored on it and have to redownload them, as well as losing any screenshots that are stored on it.

formating wont work if the firmware is hacked to report a false size. the format tool will still see the fake size. He needs a tool that changes the firmware to the correct size. First you have to find out what size it really is.

FenexFox

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I remember hearing of someone using a fake card and it actually melted from the cheap materials it used
just to be safe i got the high quality sandisk 128GB micro SD with the elte red stripe thing just to be safe its probably not necessary but better safe than sorry in my opinion and i don't feel like getting melted plastic in the Micro SD slot

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It's most likely a 256mb sd card with a edited header. Just throw it away... you will do yourself a favor and the possible electronics.

FenexFox

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's most likely a 256mb sd card with a edited header. Just throw it away... you will do yourself a favor and the possible electronics.
Yea i remember hearing stuff about thing like that and how people actually hack the firmware to make it look like its more than what it is then cause it overwrites already existing data it just starts corrupting everything.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yea i remember hearing stuff about thing like that and how people actually hack the firmware to make it look like its more than what it is then cause it overwrites already existing data it just starts corrupting everything.
Pretty much. Plus some devices can actually have issues reading them.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
IIRC it's 16GB. Actually that might have been someone else.
formating wont work if the firmware is hacked to report a false size. the format tool will still see the fake size. He needs a tool that changes the firmware to the correct size. First you have to find out what size it really is.
Um, you can set the partition size...

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Um, you can set the partition size...
That won't really work due to how flash storage works. The way fake cards work is like this: They take a lower capacity card (in this case 16Gbyte) and modify the firmware of the on-board controller to report a higher capacity (64Gb for example). So data you write to the card gets written, but if it happens to be written to address space above the 16Gb limit, it'll simply be written into thin air. But flash uses something called "wear leveling", which means that even if you format the partition to 16Gb only the controller will not simply use the first 16Gb of the flash memory but instead will still use the fully reported memory range to distribute the data (EDIT: to prevent specific memory addresses from dying because of wear). This in turn means it might write to memory addresses above the 16Gb range due to the controller of the card claiming there's memory there. But since there really isn't the data vanishes into thin air.

Just throw the card out. Break it, even - so no one is ever tempted to use it and potentially lose valuable data.

Last edited by Localhorst86,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Welp I'm off to best buy because I figured out how to shove another 14tb hard drive in this server 😂