1. Goku1992A

OP Goku1992A GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Hey guys this is my first time playing Zelda I can't say it's the best game ever but it's pretty interesting entry level action rpg. I collected 3 of the bell things I guess there are 4 left but here are my questions.

1. Does these games go in specific order? I never played the Zelda games in the past but I did download all of them for a time like this I'm trying to grasp the story unfortunately I don't really understand it the only thing I'm seeing is each time I get a bell the owl tells me to go to the next location. I feel like I'm mostly playing fetch get this item to trade it for something else

2. Have you guys ever stole something from the shop? I saw a video where if you steal something they kinda call you a thief in the game and it kills your morality but is that really a deal breaker in the story development? I want to get the bow and arrow but it's like $900 and getting cash in this game is kinda of a challenge maybe I'm not to far in the game but getting cash is really slow.

3. Without spoiling the story is this game a challenging game? The 3 bosses I fought wasn't very challenging I'm not too sure if things are going to pick up or maybe this game is just a entry level into the series... the reason why I'm saying this is becuase the game is interesting but it isn't fun interesting I'm kinda just playing to beat it but maybe it's because I don't see difficulty in this game or does Hero Mode gives you a run for your money.

2. MaxToTheMax

MaxToTheMax Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    So, in order:
    No. There is a timeline but each game tells its own story

Every NPC will refer to you as THIEF until your erase the file

The game isn't hard, but other installments can be. It depends on how you define "Hard"

3. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    1. sort of. look up hyrule historia or just google the timelines.

2. you can steal whatever you want. but the next time you walk into the shop, you WILL DIE. That's the only downside that matters.

3. The game is a remake from the original from 1993. Then re-released on the GameBoy color as DX with an extra dungeon. Now on the Switch. Is it the most difficult? No. The most item variety? Possibly, yes. One of the best Zeldas? Yes. Hard? 8 year old me didn't think so.

4. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    1. zelda games are losely connected on a timeline (that also splits somewhere)that doesn't really matter too much. few games are basically sequels Links awakening is a sequel to alttp but it really just comes down to 'link went off to travel for whatever reasons after a link to the past and ended up on this island'. Ocarina of time and mayoras mask are similarily linked.

this was a gameboy game. storytelling is slightly subtle. but it gets more clear as you near the 6th dungeon.
    its still a very basic plot though.

2. you should be halfway swimming in money by the time you need the bow. like, there's so many rupees but barely anything to spend them on. keep an eye open for chests in caves.
    you need to not die for a small extra bit at the ending, but you may as well go to youtube for that if you want.

3. it was a gameboy game, it's not too hard. dungeon 5 boss can be a bit hard, but not much. otherwise, 7 is the only one to give a challenge, but he'll rather throw you out the battlescreen to start over, than kill you

hero mode is much harder, more damage and fewer heart drops

5. Goku1992A

United States
    Thanks guys for your input

Maybe I'm doing something wrong or it's not my time to get the bow and arrow. I had already got the third bell I haven't really seen much money I did unlock most of the chests.. there were some points where I was stuck I had to refer to a guide but when it came to the money I barely seen any. I wanted to steal the bow and arrow but I didn't want to risk doing that ruining the story plot. This is the first game in a long time where I'm still using my beginning wepon then again maybe that's normal in Zelda.

6. Kurt91

Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    What's probably making the game feel too easy for you is that they added things to "modernize" the game without taking into account difficulty balance.

The original game had a maximum of 16 Hearts in your health meter, and a single "revive" potion that you could carry if you died. You could buy refills of that potion if you needed it, but you could only carry one and you could only buy refills in one specific location.

The DX version that released for the Game Boy Color added in the "Color Dungeon" that had a reward where you could choose between permanent double defense or double attack power, with the ability to return to the dungeon at any time to swap rewards. This made the game a fair bit easier, but still a fun game.

The Switch remake includes the additions the Game Boy Color had, but also extended the possible length of your HP meter to 20 Hearts, as well as added in the usual four bottles you could fill with Fairies to get a maximum of five "lives" before you ran out of revives. If you still die in a dungeon in this game, let alone a single boss, with that much of a handicap, you need to consider a strategy other than "face-tank and sword"

The game wasn't that hard to begin with, although it did have its moments. Each remake added more to make the game easier and more accessible until you got to this point. On the bright side, like what was already mentioned, Hero Mode was added to remove health pickups and make enemies do double damage, effectively cutting your 20 Hearts to 10. Also, managing to beat the game with zero deaths does affect the ending a bit, unless that was changed for the Switch release. (I'll be honest, I've personally only played the original and DX versions, although I have seen a stream of the Switch version to see what it was like. As far as world/level design, the games are identical.)

7. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    yeah, even when you have the bow, you'll mainly be using the sword and feather, as well as whatever dungeon weapon you just got.
    it's typically zelda that the current dungeon revolves around getting and then using the dungeon weapon to clear puzzles, then use it to gain access to a new area on the overworld.

i usually have the bow around dungeon 4 or 5. it can make the 4th boss ridiculously easy, but it's not really required.
    there's a couple caves with rupee chests in the areas around the 2nd and 3rd dungeon. also, if you find walls very close to the edge of a screen, stab your sword into them. if the wall can be bombed, you'll get a different sound and there's often shells or rupees hidden like that.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

to be fair, the controls are much more clunky, i generally lose more hearts in any dungeon room in this remake, than i lose in whole playthroughs of the gameboy version

8. Goku1992A

United States
    I didn't expect the game to be super hard but I thought when I at-least fought a boss they would have something similar to my health bar I didn't expect them to die after 5 hits. The normal monsters in the game die after 1-2 hits. When I beat this one I'll play BOTW on hero mode

Okay thanks! I always thought I would have a variety of weapons/abilities but your slots are kind limited but seeing how one of them you need to jump and the other one to use a bomb or a shovel threw me off but it's an interesting game.

9. Kurt91

Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, again it was originally a Game Boy game. Limited number of buttons and very small screen-space for things. Combat wasn't the only main focus, so enemies are naturally going to only take one or two hits to defeat. As far as bosses go, they're the traditional classic "Learn the pattern and strike when appropriate, rinse & repeat". Giving the boss a ton more HP isn't going to make the boss more difficult. The HP they have basically says "Okay, you obviously figured out the pattern at this point, there's no need to drag this out any further."

For instance, let's look at the boss of the second dungeon, since you've already beaten it. You start out dodging fireballs with Roc's Feather and some back & forth movement. It hides in the bottle, so you stun it with the sword and throw it against the wall with the Power Bracelet. (Keep in mind in the original, you only had "A" and "B" to equip stuff to, so we're already requiring the Start menu to re-equip yourself.) For a game of it's time, this was pretty elaborate stuff to have to do. Once the bottle breaks, we go to a flat-out brawl with the Sword and dodging until the boss is defeated. Since we're having to swap equipment through the menu and jump through hoops for each hit during the first half of the battle, going any longer than that is going to be insanely tedious rather than fun.

Seriously, check out a Let's Play episode of the original, and you'll see what I'm talking about. Although it might be worth it to see the famous Doghouse World from the original version of the game. I swear, GameFAQs used to have an entire guide dedicated to documenting that place and all of the twisted mechanics behind it, mapping out each iteration and everything. I don't know why they removed it, but it wasn't there the last time I checked.

10. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    note that botw hero mode will be almost an unfair challenge without knowing about most of the games mechanics to significantly increase your damage output. many enemies can oneshot you and they regenerate health if you dont wail on them constantly (which sometimes is hard due to weapon durability).
    there's guides for that of course, but if you wanna do this on your own, it's significantly harder to get far enough to learn all of that stuff if you start with hero mode.

11. Goku1992A

United States
    lol thanks you did make a good point about the not dragging it out any longer. I guess I'm used to that from other games I played.

Well that is what happened with me with GOW 1 I'm stuck on the last battle and I can't beat it I just like a happening in games I just like a challenge.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Awakening, questions, Played