So I need to keep my DS lite so I can update the firmware?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by shonosuke, Nov 24, 2012.

1. shonosuke
    OP

Member shonosuke GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Was thinking of getting a Super DSTWO so I can play DS games on my 3DS XL (bigger screens) but I heard you have to update the firmware on flashcarts through an older DS.

2. porkiewpyne

Member porkiewpyne Report-er

Australia
    It will make life a lot easier. Especially if you repeatedly update your 3DS BEFORE your SCDS2. Otherwise, it's not all that essential.

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    You don't need to as long as you update the flash cart first. It's only people that are stupid and update their DSi/3DS first that need to use an older DS to update the cart again.

The DSTwo is special and can sometimes update after being blocked with a special method, but it should not be relied on. Always update the cart first.

http://gbatemp.net/topic/315784-flash-carts-and-dsi3ds-updates/

4. Technicmaster0

Member Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    I think that it works usually. I tried it many times (the last time was on the 4.4.0-10) and it worked every time!

5. codezer0

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    Do you need to? As long as you update the flashcart before you update the system, not really. But it always helps to have an alernative/back-up/emergency plan if you can accommodate it. Much better to be safe and prepared, than sorry and regretting.

6. Deltaechoe

Member Deltaechoe The Dopefish

United States
    might as well keep it, I've seen plenty of people update their 3DS's without realizing that they forgot to check if their card is blocked. It's not a particularly smart thing to do (updating 3DS before the flashcart), but it doesn't hurt to have a backup plan

7. Pleng

Member Pleng GBAtemp Maniac

Thailand
    Suprised nobody's mentioned it; there is a way to update the DSTwo even after the 3DS has been updated. Don't remember the details, hopefully somebody here can provide a link/instructions.

8. Rydian

United States
    I mentioned it. You rename the update file to have a b at the end, then let the cart sit at the Nintendo's select screen (the home screen, not starting the cart) for five minutes. The DSTwo will detect and update and will apply it during this time.

However it relies on the DStwo having power and having gotten the boot data (so to speak) from the unit so it might not always work, and there's no progress bar so turning it off too early can result in a brick.

The official update method is the one to go for, the secondary one is a backup.

9. TheCasketMan

Member TheCasketMan Keyblade Apprentice

United States
    this may off topic, sorry. But does anyone know where to buy a dstwo at the cheapest price, since the r4i gold team seemed to gave up on releasing the update for revision 6,7, and 8.

10. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    Keep the DSlite because it can play GBA games and just consider the ability to update the DSTwo a bonus.

11. JornTenge

Newcomer JornTenge Advanced Member

United States
    Better keep it.
    If you get a notification at 3DS that says 'Update' and you forgot about updating your flash card first...
    Then you still have a plan to De-block the Flash card.
    Ok now your question is answered now put it away.

12. gloap

Newcomer gloap Newbie

United Kingdom
    Wait, so you update the flashcart first, then the 3DS without the flashcart in it, and then the flashcart is good to go in the 3DS?

13. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    As long as you update the flashcart before the 3DS then you'll be fine.

14. Rydian

United States
    You can update the 3DS with the flash cart in it.

Just make sure the flash cart is always updated at least as far as the 3DS is, first.