So I moved, and the people here have a Rottweiler...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
... but it's one of those really friendly, gentle dogs. Big, fat, spayed female.

P1020203.jpg

Leans up on you when you pet it and all that jazz, and I just got here yesterday.

ITT: Dog breeds known for possible aggression that are just big goofy lovebugs in person?

JustChillin1414

<3 Tiny Tina
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yep, I was once bit by a rottweiler when I was a kid, that was not fun... but I also have met tons of really friendly ones.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Parents of me lil nieces got a Rottweiler (and had one before).
Their total whimps compared to their image.
They never ever hurted anyone and they where incredibly friendly.
Incredibly cute dogs!

It's indeed all about how their being raised.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
My neighbor has a wolf-dog cross. Not sure what the original dog breed is, but the thing is huge and is fairly lovable. He has a bark, but has yet to bite anyone that's come near and I used to play with him a bit whenever I was bored. He may jump on you, though, and he weighs quite a bit and is quite energetic.

I remember one time he got loose and we managed to catch him, and trying to bring him back on a leash almost tore my arm off >.>

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Around here we have the much maligned "dangerous dogs act" which effectively banned certain breeds, now all the idiots get crosses of various forms.

I would agree almost any dog can be trained, some are considerably more troublesome however and with some I might go so far as to say they need dedicated training. I am somewhat hesitant about part wolf animals (with a handful of exceptions once you get past quarter is seems to tail off) though with ones that come out of working dog lineages when people try to have them as house dogs (the trend for people to want a Husky not helping here) not far behind.

I grew up with dobermans though which warped my would be fear of dogs (then it would have been as tall as me and not many dogs end up as tall as a fully grown person) and means I more or less just ignore them these days*- I rarely meet dogs as smart or as interesting to be around as most of the dobermans from my youth.

*I have mentioned a mugging attempt a lady made on me before with her dog as the threat- she looked quite shocked when the dog went down and I came for her.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well the cats are moved in now. The dog wants to play with them, but the cats won't have any of it. They just arch up, hiss, and back away.

It could be worse- many are the times I have had to bandage up a visiting dog because one of the cats around places I was living at the time decided causing as much damage as is possible in a given timeframe was the order of the day.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Rottweilers (and pit bulls) get a bad rap. It's because we always hear about the rare attacks when they do happen.

They're extremely friendly and love to cuddle, just like any other dog. Show them love, and they'll love you back 10 times over. But treat a dog like an animal, and they'll act like one.

Reactions: Phoenix Goddess

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
FYI - i hate pets.

My question: What is the fascination in this country with pets? Is it the lack of social interaction with other people or does it go deeper?
You say that as if Americans love pets more than people from other countries. I've seen coats and booties sold for dogs at pet stores in other countries I've visited.

And who says owning pets is a result of lack of social interaction?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
My question: What is the fascination in this country with pets? Is it the lack of social interaction with other people or does it go deeper?
Well, the mass urbanization that followed the industrial revolution in the 18th and 19th century led to quite a lot of people spending all their lives in cities, away from any animal other than the fellow man. Pets as a form of domesticated animals is a way of getting back to our roots, since humanity has been living with domesticated animals for thousands of years, and the urban state where mankind had only vermin to share their living space with was quite alien to the human nature. Now that the standard of life has improved and families can afford to keep more than just human members, pets are a way of returning to a state where a family shares their household with other animals as well. Granted, some people resort to pets as a replacement for human interaction, for some reason or other, but the vast majority incorporates their pets into a normal, healthy, sociable lifestyle.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the same kind of dog, he is very nice. He is afraid of frogs, and almost anything living except humans and cats.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I've had many horrible, and emotionally scarring encounters with dogs, (Which may be why I have a fear for them) but I own a Doberman, and he would never even hurt a fly. I think it's all based on how the animal is raised, and that Rottweiler looks like she has been raised well.

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users