So I made a GRAVE mistake... But is it salvageable? I hope someone can help. (Details Inside)

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Ultimarok, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Ultimarok
    OP

Ultimarok Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2015
    United States
    United States
    Okay, so here's the thing...

Recently after over half a year of not using/playing my "New" Nintendo 3DS, I did the A9LH to B9S upgrade and all went fine. No problems there.

But I didn't back it up right away when I was done with it. (I know, I know... I SHOULD have!) Here's where the crap hits the fan due to my moronic screw-up...

I was in the 3DS FBI app when I went to delete a singe folder within my SD card and I accidentally deleted the ENTIRE directory (Basically almost ALL of my MicroSD Card) instead of the folder I wanted to delete. I accidentally chose the wrong option... So all of that work upgrading to B9S went to complete waste and it was as if I did it for nothing. (Not actually for nothing, but it might as well have been with the stupid mistake I made.)

My last back-up of my NN3DS/SD card was from when I still had arm9loaderhax with whatever its latest update was about half a year ago or so.

So how SCREWED am I? I won't lie, I was in total and utter disbelief and shock at what I had done when it happened.

Literally:

Can this be fixed at all? Can I ever get back to a fully functional and working boot9strap? Or should I give up all hope? And if this is not salvageable, then is there ANY way to return my NN3DS back into a normal/non-hacked NN3DS? Either way I don't know what to do and which folders, files and apps I need again since it'll be done pretty much from scratch, I suppose. I truly wish I could UNdelete everything... *Sigh*

Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help.

IcyFire and ikkinomi like this.

2. erman1337

erman1337 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2015
    Belgium
    Brussels
    boot9strap is installed on the system itself, just restore your backup and put the boot.firm from luma3ds.

You also need to reinstall FBI and other necessities, but that's easy too

Last edited by erman1337, Jun 4, 2017
    Quantumcat and Ultimarok like this.
  3. Temptress Cerise

Temptress Cerise Miss Magic~ <3

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Nope, you're screwed. Mega bricked. Time to buy another one.

Just kidding with you. You just need the boot.firm from Luma3DS' latest stable release.

As for all the required files, and getting FBI back and stuff.
    You'll have to follow the relevant steps of Finalizing Setup from 3DS.Guide: https://3ds.guide/finalizing-setup

dpad_5678, Ultimarok and Joel16 like this.
  4. Ultimarok
    OP

Newcomer
    May 28, 2015
    United States
    United States
    Ha, very funny! I knew it wasn't bricked or anything, but I just figured it wouldn't work right and none of the homebrew would run correctly again, keeping in mind that I'm still somewhat a n00b and a tad uninformed about this kind of stuff, which explains my freaking out and being a bit distraught about it.

Thank you for linking the relevant section, that's exactly what I wanted, steps showing what I needed to do exactly in this situation. I assume that part of the guide tells me where to put boot.firm again? Because obviously I forgot. I forgot nearly everything I had on there since my memory is shot and I'm a somewhat old fogey.

Glad to see there's still a chance. Eager to get everything back to the way it was before.

Off-topic question: Is NTR still the best way to cheat on games or has something new and better come forward? I haven't seen anything else so far outside of the sub-par Powersaves 3DS and what very few save editors there are.

Thank you.

Last edited by Ultimarok, Jun 4, 2017
  5. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    Very dramatic post:P. Yep, B9S is nand specific, so just do what others have said and redo (copy) Luma's "boot.firm" to the SD root and fix the rest with the guide (final setup)

Ultimarok likes this.
  6. Ultimarok
    OP

Newcomer
    May 28, 2015
    United States
    United States
    Perfect, thank you!

And sorry about the mild drama, I was just very disappointed over what I had done and I did it partially for humorous purposes to feel better about it. Looked at myself in the mirror after it happened and went:

[​IMG]

sarkwalvein and Victorum like this.
  7. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    Don't drink and trying to hack your 3DS :P
    I guess you got an heart attack when you noticed what you have done ;)

Ultimarok and Joel16 like this.
  8. Temptress Cerise

Temptress Cerise Miss Magic~ <3

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Nope, it doesn't cover where to put boot.firm. boot.firm just goes on the root of your SD Card.
    Here's the latest stable release: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases/latest

You just extract the boot.firm from that, and put it on the root of your SD Card.

As for the section that covered that, it was this: https://3ds.guide/installing-boot9strap-(homebrew-launcher)

The config should be set to “Show NAND or user string in System Settings” - and that's about it.

Ultimarok likes this.
  9. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    No need to apologize, we are all guilty of screw up's. I have done some real "Dumb & Dumber" moments with my stuff over the years and looked back and thought "what a dickhead";)

Ultimarok likes this.
  10. Jimmay123

Jimmay123 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2015
    delfino plaza
    if you would like i can copy my micro sd for you and upload it to mega or google drive
    you will have everything all set up then :)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

so long as you don't mind some pre existing home-brew that is :D

Ultimarok likes this.
  11. Ultimarok
    OP

Newcomer
    May 28, 2015
    United States
    United States
    Thanks, but I don't mind doing it myself.

I hadn't reported any success in this topic yet because I had to wait on my new card reader to come in because the one built-in to my laptop finally broke. It JUST came in a moment ago so I'm fixing to do this all.

To give you all an idea of how much FBI deleted, here's all that was left:

[​IMG]

I looked inside all of the folders and each of their contents was completely empty, there were no files left at all. Even the Nintendo 3DS folders, EVERYTHING was deleted because of my screw-up. So I'm about to start what Temptress Cerise suggested unless any sees any reason that I shouldn't?

Was the Nintendo 3DS folder important?

Either way, starting soon.

Attached Files:

12. sks316

sks316 Retro Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule
    Restore your A9LH backup and put boot.firm back on your SD Card.

Ultimarok likes this.
  13. Ultimarok
    OP

Newcomer
    May 28, 2015
    United States
    United States
    I guess I can do that, but any reason why? It's a really old back-up from like half a year ago. I didn't think it would help in any way. (I am probably wrong on that.)

Thanks for the suggestion, gonna dig through my storage and look for the USB I kept my backup on.

14. sks316

sks316 Retro Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule
    If you backed up your SD Card then you basically backed up all your games and apps.

Ultimarok likes this.
  15. Ultimarok
    OP

Newcomer
    May 28, 2015
    United States
    United States
    Alright, I'll give a try, thanks. I didn't think it would be compatible due to how outdated it was.

Will report back with any success or failure later after I restore it and after I do the finalizing step.

16. Ultimarok
    OP

Newcomer
    May 28, 2015
    United States
    United States
    Sorry to double-post, but are there any suggestions as to what I should delete from here now that I've restored my backup?

[​IMG]

If I remember correctly... Plailect made us delete some files and/or made suggestions of files that we could delete of our own choosing, but wasn't necessary, when following his old A9LH guide. Trouble is, I forgot which ones needed to be deleted and which ones don't and obviously I don't want all kind of crap cluttered all over.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

17. sks316

sks316 Retro Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule
    Delete the A9LH folder, arm9loaderhax.bin, and anything else you don't need.

18. Ultimarok
    OP

Newcomer
    May 28, 2015
    United States
    United States
    Okay, so I'm kind of stuck on a step, specifically this one:

"Section III - Launching FBI
    1. Launch the Download Play application
    2. Press (L) + (Down) + (Select) at the same time to open the Rosalina menu <----(I am stuck here)
    3. Select “Miscellaneous options”
    4. Select “Switch the hb. title to the current app.”
    5. Press (B) to continue
    6. Press (B) to return to the Rosalina main menu
    7. Press (B) to exit the Rosalina menu
    8. Press (Home), then close Download Play
    9. Launch the Download Play application
    10. Your device should load the Homebrew Launcher"

The part that I highlighted via bold+underline+italicized. That button combo does not work and nothing happens.

I'm not even sure if I have this Rosalina thing.

Like I said, right before the screw-up, I had successfully upgraded from A9LH to B9S. The finalizing section that Temptress Cerise linked me to seems to mention some stuff that the A9LH to B9S guide did not.

So what am I really supposed to be doing here? Any ideas?

Edit:

Actually, what would happen if instead of following the finalizing guide, if I instead just followed this all over again since I restored my old backup?

https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s

Last edited by Ultimarok, Jun 7, 2017
  19. sks316

sks316 Retro Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule
    You'd most likely brick.
    Hit them all at the same time and Rosalina will open on the lower screen.

20. Ultimarok
    OP

Newcomer
    May 28, 2015
    United States
    United States
    I've tried it simultaneously as you suggested and still nothing happens. It just complains about wireless communication being disabled.

I don't get this crap... If I could rewind time, I'd make it so I never accidentally deleted the entire MicroSD card instead of just one folder as I wanted to. Hell, I'd have never tried to do it in FBI.

Edit:

I'm glad I asked before I ended up bricking it.

Last edited by Ultimarok, Jun 7, 2017