Homebrew So I made a GRAVE mistake... But is it salvageable? I hope someone can help. (Details Inside)

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, you're screwed. Mega bricked. Time to buy another one.

Just kidding with you. You just need the boot.firm from Luma3DS' latest stable release.

As for all the required files, and getting FBI back and stuff.
You'll have to follow the relevant steps of Finalizing Setup from 3DS.Guide: https://3ds.guide/finalizing-setup

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Very dramatic post:P. Yep, B9S is nand specific, so just do what others have said and redo (copy) Luma's "boot.firm" to the SD root and fix the rest with the guide (final setup)

Reactions: Ultimarok

Ultimarok

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perfect, thank you!

And sorry about the mild drama, I was just very disappointed over what I had done and I did it partially for humorous purposes to feel better about it. Looked at myself in the mirror after it happened and went:

yutRrqm.gif[img]

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ha, very funny! I knew it wasn't bricked or anything, but I just figured it wouldn't work right and none of the homebrew would run correctly again, keeping in mind that I'm still somewhat a n00b and a tad uninformed about this kind of stuff, which explains my freaking out and being a bit distraught about it.

Thank you for linking the relevant section, that's exactly what I wanted, steps showing what I needed to do exactly in this situation. I assume that part of the guide tells me where to put boot.firm again? Because obviously I forgot. I forgot nearly everything I had on there since my memory is shot and I'm a somewhat old fogey.

Glad to see there's still a chance. Eager to get everything back to the way it was before.

Off-topic question: Is NTR still the best way to cheat on games or has something new and better come forward? I haven't seen anything else so far outside of the sub-par Powersaves 3DS and what very few save editors there are.

Thank you.
Nope, it doesn't cover where to put boot.firm. boot.firm just goes on the root of your SD Card.
Here's the latest stable release: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases/latest

You just extract the boot.firm from that, and put it on the root of your SD Card.

As for the section that covered that, it was this: https://3ds.guide/installing-boot9strap-(homebrew-launcher)

The config should be set to “Show NAND or user string in System Settings” - and that's about it.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Perfect, thank you!

And sorry about the mild drama, I was just very disappointed over what I had done and I did it partially for humorous purposes to feel better about it. Looked at myself in the mirror after it happened and went:

No need to apologize, we are all guilty of screw up's. I have done some real "Dumb & Dumber" moments with my stuff over the years and looked back and thought "what a dickhead";)

Jimmay123

Trophies
XP
Country
if you would like i can copy my micro sd for you and upload it to mega or google drive
you will have everything all set up then :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

if you would like i can copy my micro sd for you and upload it to mega or google drive
you will have everything all set up then :)
so long as you don't mind some pre existing home-brew that is :D

Ultimarok

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I can do that, but any reason why? It's a really old back-up from like half a year ago. I didn't think it would help in any way. (I am probably wrong on that.)

Thanks for the suggestion, gonna dig through my storage and look for the USB I kept my backup on.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
I guess I can do that, but any reason why? It's a really old back-up from like half a year ago. I didn't think it would help in any way. (I am probably wrong on that.)

Thanks for the suggestion, gonna dig through my storage and look for the USB I kept my backup on.
If you backed up your SD Card then you basically backed up all your games and apps.

Ultimarok

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I'll give a try, thanks. I didn't think it would be compatible due to how outdated it was.

Will report back with any success or failure later after I restore it and after I do the finalizing step.

Ultimarok

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to double-post, but are there any suggestions as to what I should delete from here now that I've restored my backup?

3ds-deletion-suggestions-png.89289

If I remember correctly... Plailect made us delete some files and/or made suggestions of files that we could delete of our own choosing, but wasn't necessary, when following his old A9LH guide. Trouble is, I forgot which ones needed to be deleted and which ones don't and obviously I don't want all kind of crap cluttered all over.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 3ds deletion suggestions.png
    3ds deletion suggestions.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,185

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to double-post, but are there any suggestions as to what I should delete from here now that I've restored my backup?

3ds-deletion-suggestions-png.89289

If I remember correctly... Plailect made us delete some files and/or made suggestions of files that we could delete of our own choosing, but wasn't necessary, when following his old A9LH guide. Trouble is, I forgot which ones needed to be deleted and which ones don't and obviously I don't want all kind of crap cluttered all over.

Thanks in advance.
Delete the A9LH folder, arm9loaderhax.bin, and anything else you don't need.

Ultimarok

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I'm kind of stuck on a step, specifically this one:

"Section III - Launching FBI
  1. Launch the Download Play application
  2. Press (L) + (Down) + (Select) at the same time to open the Rosalina menu <----(I am stuck here)
  3. Select “Miscellaneous options”
  4. Select “Switch the hb. title to the current app.”
  5. Press (B) to continue
  6. Press (B) to return to the Rosalina main menu
  7. Press (B) to exit the Rosalina menu
  8. Press (Home), then close Download Play
  9. Launch the Download Play application
  10. Your device should load the Homebrew Launcher"

The part that I highlighted via bold+underline+italicized. That button combo does not work and nothing happens.

I'm not even sure if I have this Rosalina thing.

Like I said, right before the screw-up, I had successfully upgraded from A9LH to B9S. The finalizing section that Temptress Cerise linked me to seems to mention some stuff that the A9LH to B9S guide did not.

So what am I really supposed to be doing here? Any ideas?

Edit:

Actually, what would happen if instead of following the finalizing guide, if I instead just followed this all over again since I restored my old backup?

https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s

Last edited by Ultimarok,

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Actually, what would happen if instead of following the finalizing guide, if I instead just followed this all over again since I restored my old backup?
You'd most likely brick.
Press (L) + (Down) + (Select) at the same time to open the Rosalina menu <----(I am stuck here)
Hit them all at the same time and Rosalina will open on the lower screen.

Ultimarok

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried it simultaneously as you suggested and still nothing happens. It just complains about wireless communication being disabled.

I don't get this crap... If I could rewind time, I'd make it so I never accidentally deleted the entire MicroSD card instead of just one folder as I wanted to. Hell, I'd have never tried to do it in FBI.

Edit:

I'm glad I asked before I ended up bricking it.

Last edited by Ultimarok,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: