So I just learned that my college

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by thela_kid, Sep 11, 2011.

Sep 11, 2011
  1. thela_kid
    OP

Member thela_kid GBAtemp Regular

United States
    They don't let you bring your own wireless router AND their wireless is shit. Everything was perfect about this college until that... T.T it's going to be a loong year. Oh yea, and in addition, I have to install Norton and some other shitty software just to be able to use the internet! Oh yea yea, and there's ONE hub in my room....with two other people! One hub! And they don't let you bring ANYTHING at all like a router or hub expander.

2. PyroSpark

Member PyroSpark GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I will pray for you.

3. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    Cant even smuggle it in?

4. JustChillin1414

Member JustChillin1414 <3 Tiny Tina

Canada
    Couldn't you just plug in a router and make a hidden network?

5. thela_kid
    OP

United States
    that's actually a good idea. except the hub would know that a router is plugged in and not an actual computer, I think.

6. Dangy

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    Just do it anyway. That's what my college says too, but they don't give a fuck.

7. thela_kid
    OP

United States
    all right imma try to sneak a hidden wireless network. hopefully they won't catch on

8. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    WTF?!

Routers do not provide internet access unless you get one of the routers that have a 3g/4g connection.

If you plug in a router; all you are doing is making a closer gateway to you. This won't improve your internet speed unless you can establish a better connection with a closer router to you or the router you are using supports faster speeds (which I doubt)

Most colleges have their network pretty secure; Not only that, at least at my university, the network will reject your device because of many reasons.

There is no way the campus will know if you have an anti-virus; usually they ask for it but just lie.

9. thela_kid
    OP

United States
    yea it's pretty ridiculous. one of the pieces of software checks to see if you have norton. luckily, they allow microsoft security essentials, which i'm using. if you don't, then the campus's internet will reject you internet access until that same program reports you do. i ain't puttin' no norton shit on my baby. also you have to log in EVERY time you connect to the internet.

10. jamesaa

Member jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

United Kingdom
    With all those restrictions I'd probably just shell out however much it costs to get a 4G dongle for my laptop, and keep a second crappy laptop with all their requirements on incase for whatever reason I needed access to the college net.

Plus I've never liked the idea of sharing my main Internet connection with large groups of people, only takes one reasonably knowledgable person to have a chance of getting at your data... Or it could be like a college someone I know used to go to... They asked me why 20 peoples windows media icons were showing on their system [​IMG] now that's poor college security.

11. thela_kid
    OP

United States
    yea i was thinking of the dongle. do they make usb 3.0 versions?

12. jamesaa

United Kingdom
    Don't know (I'm sure you can use google though [​IMG])

Why USB3 though, I didn't think 4G was THAT fast....

13. thela_kid
    OP

United States
    well i have a 3.0 port on my computer and i'm rarin' to use it lol. if you say that 2.0 is fast enough, i might as well stick with it.

14. jamesaa

United Kingdom
    Ah yes I know the feeling, got usb 3.0 ports on both my laptop and desktop... I'm just waiting for an excuse to buy a device to actually utilize them [​IMG]

15. thela_kid
    OP

United States
    just checked out prices for 3g and 4g dongles.....wow, im poor. and for only 5-10gbs a month. i use that in a day o.O

16. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    I dont get it, what point is there in bringing a wireless router?
    the speed is going to be throttled regardless
    they dont wont you bring that because it will allow people to connect the your colleges wireless without going through a verification process, I assume everybody has their own login username and pass

17. jamesaa

United Kingdom
    Hmmm, yeah I didn't think of that [​IMG]

18. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I encourage messing around but I will say make sure you disable DCHP on your router until you know otherwise- I assume they are running higher end gear but trying to have multiple DCHP servers with overlapping ranges can lead to interesting issues (not to mention being the basis for some interesting attacks on the network- see DCHP exhaustion). I imagine this is the main reason they do not allow/support it.

Failing that stick a secondary network card in a PC that is likely to be on more often and bridge/share the connections.

Also if you have software requirements you can always run a virtual machine with it on and it provides an excuse if they should ever come knocking saying they detected multiple machines from one port. The secondary stuff I am interested in though- most people with such networks and a clue will kick it to HTML session stuff similar to some paid wifi hotspots.

19. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Get a prepaid 3G dongle or a 4G contract and an unlimited plan, both have some place that has an unlimited plan.

20. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Place a computer (running pfsense). Technically not a router or a hub, just a computer. Effectively all you will ever need. Read the fine print on their definitions, that generally presents loopholes