So I just got this free PS3 phat. How do I check if its been previously hacked?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Clydefrosch, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Clydefrosch
    OP

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Yeah, I got this old PS3 from the mother of some guy who 'got a new one cause the disk sometimes got stuck and he didn't like that'.
    When I started the game that came with it (street fighter 4), I got some update notice that I canceled for the moment. Then I remembered that these old things are sometimes hacked and shut it down to ask, how do I find out if it was hacked and what happens if I go and update the firmware anyway (like from a disk update if I ever go and buy a game)?

2. soulrazor

soulrazor GBAtemp Regular

May 18, 2012
    settings->system settings->system information

If the firmware is <=3.55 then it can be hacked without the use of hardware. If its greater then that and if it says anything there besides the version numbers its hacked (like 4.xx rogero).
    if it doesn't say anything besides the version number it can also be hacked but i wouldn't count on that, (edited version number by the user)

3. elgarta

elgarta GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2012
    United States
    Yeah it'd best to check what firmware version it is running, which can be found in the System Information.

If you are unsure of what it is, feel free to post and someone should know. 3.55 or a 4.xx CFW would be ideal to work with.

I would also possibly suggest getting the console worked on avoid overheating moving forward, so you don't lose the machine.