So I just got a new iPod Touch

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To back up your iPod, just connect it to iTunes and iTunes automatically backs it up each time.

Jailbreaking is TOTALLY worth it, even if you don't pirate apps. So many features, it makes the original firmware look pitiful.

"I'm not supporting piracy, just so you know."

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kinda discovering that, just added SBsettings and gonna find a plug in so I keep the wi-fi while its in sleep mode (cause that's annoying when downloading a big app), gonna add Circuitous though I'm not sure if I'll ever have a need for it as Facebook and eBuddy, the only apps I would want to background, send push notifications.
My main worry is still my dad finding out I've hacked it so quickly. Then again if he blows up at me its easy to restore it back to normal.

Also: When iOS4 comes out, will it be safe to update with a jailbroken iPod or will it cause serious havoc? I would guess havoc due to all the files floating around from the jailbreak. If I used the restore button to update it should work though, right?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
Also: When iOS4 comes out, will it be safe to update with a jailbroken iPod or will it cause serious havoc? I would guess havoc due to all the files floating around from the jailbreak. If I used the restore button to update it should work though, right?
It will simply overwrite your previous iPhoneOS revision, thus removing the jailbreak (and all non-AppStore applications).

QUOTEjust added SBsettings and gonna find a plug in so I keep the wi-fi while its in sleep mode (cause that's annoying when downloading a big app)
Insomnia (which does have it's own sbsettings toggle).

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Using one called "KeepAwake" may change to Insomnia if its any better.

My friend told me he'd heard stories of jailbroken iPods bricking on update, I'm guessing they're pretty unfounded though.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
George Dawes said:
They can't keep the paying apps on the store. Apple censor what is allowed, so some developers have no choice but to sell via alternatives. Don't like it, don't use them.

That is exactly what cydia was developed for (and for people to release free apps too, of course).

Why on earth would you restore right back just because you don't like an app or two? A stock ipod is as much use as a chocolate dildo.

I agree with the topic creator, why would hackers charge for emus when the emu themselves are copywright? Ie nintendo, i don't thimk it is right to make money from comerclised goods, its the same thing when you get people at a market selling u dvds with roms on it, it's illegal, also i really think the ipod touch is way overpriced for what it is, i brought a nokia 5800 unlocked for £105, it has touch screen, working phone, removable memory, more media formats to use, no need to hack as symbian os is more open than apples restricted os, everything works straight away and u are not forced to use apples bloatware lol my personal opinion.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jalaneme said:
i brought a nokia 5800 unlocked for £105, it has touch screen, working phone, removable memory, more media formats to use, no need to hack as symbian os is more open than apples restricted os, everything works straight away and u are not forced to use apples bloatware lol my personal opinion.
S60 is in its dying wail, it's a horribly outdated platform and to even try comparing to a modern OS such as iPhoneOS/iOS/Android/BBOS/etc is just silly.

Not sure how you can expect anyone to take you seriously.

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
George Dawes said:
They can't keep the paying apps on the store. Apple censor what is allowed, so some developers have no choice but to sell via alternatives. Don't like it, don't use them.

That is exactly what cydia was developed for (and for people to release free apps too, of course).

Why on earth would you restore right back just because you don't like an app or two? A stock ipod is as much use as a chocolate dildo.

I agree with the topic creator, why would hackers charge for emus when the emu themselves are copywright? Ie nintendo, i don't thimk it is right to make money from comerclised goods, its the same thing when you get people at a market selling u dvds with roms on it, it's illegal, also i really think the ipod touch is way overpriced for what it is
High five Jalaneme!
Here's another reason I don't like paid homebrew (yes, I know iPod Apps ARE essentially homebrew but they are sanctioned so kind of count as licensed software in my book)
Hacks are a rebellion. A way of getting back against the corporations for deliberately limiting what people can do with the system in order to make money. It should be trying to make the system as open as possible to as many people as possible. Once you add $5.99 emulators into mix (Seriously' $6?!?! FOOCKING HELL! And that WAS my exact reaction at the price) suddenly all that openess becomes more restricted and as you find more and more good apps require a serious investment you wonder why you bothered to hack more and more. Hacks should not be a secondary marketplace, they should be a place of free exchange of programs and ideas.

Anyway, back to why I'm resurrecting this topic. I have my iPod Touch and am loving the damned sexy thing (yes I know, Apple suck bla bla bla but as soon as I see a Touch i go "oooohhhh shiny") And I want to keep it looking nice a smexy, definitely not scratched up. Does anybody have some good screen protector and case recommendations?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
Here's another reason I don't like paid homebrew (yes, I know iPod Apps ARE essentially homebrew but they are sanctioned so kind of count as licensed software in my book)
iPhoneOS software is not homebrew in any way. The platform is open for development and has a first-party SDK available.

QUOTE said:
Hacks are a rebellion. A way of getting back against the corporations for deliberately limiting what people can do with the system in order to make money.
Not everyone is a rebellious child out to get their parents/"the man". I would say the majority really don't give a shit and just enjoy the extra functionality Cydia allows access to.

It should be trying to make the system as open as possible to as many people as possible. Once you add $5.99 emulators into mix (Seriously' $6?!?! FOOCKING HELL! And that WAS my exact reaction at the price) suddenly all that openess becomes more restricted and as you find more and more good apps require a serious investment you wonder why you bothered to hack more and more. Hacks should not be a secondary marketplace, they should be a place of free exchange of programs and ideas.
That was quite a conglomerate of ignorance and self-entitlement. All the software on Cydia (and any software on any platform for the most part) was created by someone. That person had to spend their own time and effort to write it. Who are you to think you're entitled to have other people work for you for free? Whether they want to charge is their own business, and as someone who supports independent software developers your mindset sickens me.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i guess some people are not old enough to remember paying $65-75 for a NES game that took a weekend to beat. $6 for an emu that i can play on the go is a steal. you have to consider how hard it is to "emulate" something on another hardware, how much cpu time it takes up, etc. that little $6 program should probably be more like $30. but the ipod/iphone community has the same attitude as you, that everything should be cheap or free.

the modern day computer generation doesn't know how good they have it right now, free access to data, roms galore, emulators, thousands of pc games to chose from, so many consoles. when i was a kid we had the outside word and the atari 2600.

you should go ahead and start a "free" software company and see how far you get with it.

-another world

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I understand that people have put time and effort into these apps and want to get something out of it but in my opinion I they want to make money they should make something that WOULD be approved for the app store. Hacks are generally for opening up a closed system and therefore, in my opinion, should not be an illicit 2nd marketplace. I am not some spoilt brat, I understand people want money but I still don't believe hacks should be sold.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
I understand that people have put time and effort into these apps and want to get something out of it but in my opinion I they want to make money they should make something that WOULD be approved for the app store. Hacks are generally for opening up a closed system and therefore, in my opinion, should not be an illicit 2nd marketplace. I am not some spoilt brat, I understand people want money but I still don't believe hacks should be sold.
So just because someone wants to write an application which acts outside the bounds of Apple's regulations, that means they shouldn't be able to charge for it? The morals you have say that only those who unfalteringly follow Apple to a T are allowed to succeed, and that everyone else should follow that completely arbitrary mindset?

Honestly, your opinion is moronic and with every post you sound more and more like a "spoilt brat", as you put it.

alidsl

I am now a lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
If you haven't noticed it costs $99 a year for the SDK on Iphone, but coding for a computer is free, these people need to pay that bill somehow so have no choice but to sell the emu's, if no-one pays for them no-one updates them

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alidsl said:
If you haven't noticed it costs $99 a year for the SDK on Iphone, but coding for a computer is free, these people need to pay that bill somehow so have no choice but to sell the emu's, if no-one pays for them no-one updates them
Nobody really cares about the 99USD a year. An emulator of commercial software can takes dozens to hundreds to thousands of hours to write depending on the complexity of the target system (and the work already done in the field).

The 99USD is pocket change.

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ugh... I just have my opinion that if you want to make money you should do it in the main marketplace, notthe grey one. Doesn't matter anyway.
Anybody recommend a good iPod 3G case?

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Got a Gear4 hardcase for it. Its got a nice rubberised finish and a screen protector built in (which is surprisingly responsive). Only problem is that the buttons are slightly harder to reach but its not a big deal. Oh and I need to somehow clean off the iPod screen and the inside of the protector well enough that there's no dust...ho hum.

alidsl

I am now a lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
The protectors somehow make the ipod easier to use/more responsive it's wierd
unsure.gif

Gear4's a good make
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: "Impossible he memorized every book on the planet..."