Hardware So I just found out the n3ds only takes microsd... ultra? extreme? extreme plus?!

Clydefrosch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So yeah, I'm somewhat overwhelmed by all those big words they print on those small sds these days.
since they always worked fine for me in the past, I was going for a sandisk card. (gonna buy one in store since i'm reading a lot of fakes are around online)

does it make much of a difference when it comes to usage in a 3ds, whether or not i get an ultra, extreme or extreme plus card?

or should i go for a samsung and their evo/evo+ cards after all?

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
There probably won't be much difference, the 3DS SD slot itself is the main bottleneck and apparently can only go up to class 10 speeds. Anything above that is unlikely to have any direct benefits when using the 3DS (although if you transfer to and from the PC a lot, then faster speeds will help on that aspect).

Reactions: Ryccardo

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There probably won't be much difference, the 3DS SD slot itself is the main bottleneck and apparently can only go up to class 10 speeds. Anything above that is unlikely to have any direct benefits when using the 3DS (although if you transfer to and from the PC a lot, then faster speeds will help on that aspect).
I'm pretty sure anything above class 4 doesn't have much benefit on the 3DS hardware.

Clydefrosch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i read some time ago, that high class carts would have higher write speed, but start to lose read speed. is that true? or would it make no difference anyway?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i read some time ago, that high class carts would have higher write speed, but start to lose read speed. is that true? or would it make no difference anyway?
Class is sequential write speed (exactly the opposite of what a gamer should care about - random read)

You should consider them independent factors (as you can use a better controller to make a card overall faster, but you can also overoptimize for sequential performance at the expense of random access)

(as said, not that it matters that much on a 3DS: the CPU and inefficiences in 128+ GB cards are much more relevant)

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you want speed? Go for a 32gb sd card, do you want storage? Go for a 128gb sd card. Do you want to meet in the middle? Go with a 64gb sd card. I cannot speak for 32gb or 64gb sd cards, but I have a ~11s boot time into luma emunand (9 seconds probably to get into sysnand), and a ~16s boot time for corbenik emunand (this has a lot of random patches enabled though, so that probably contributes to the boot time).

edit: good prices for whatever size you want here. I have the last generation(?) of these, and my only issue was that it game with a bad adapter.

Last edited by ih8ih8sn0w,

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS can read more than Class 10, at it's extremely obvious when you're doing something that requires heavy use of streaming data from the SD.

Installing .cias, for example, or, more obviously, using BootAnim9. I went from from a full 30fps animation on a UHS-1 (Class 10) card to around 5 on a Class 4 Card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: 🦛 🐦 (🐑🐑) 🦛 🐦 (🐑🐑) 🦛 🐦 🦌🐑 🦛🐦 (🐑🐑)