So I just finished watching the four original Psycho movies [Expect Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by gokujr1000, Apr 18, 2013.

1. gokujr1000
    OP

Member gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Now I loved the original Psycho and I saw it long before the Bates Motel TV show got announced and before I even knew that there were three sequels. Going into the sequels I was a little sceptical. Alfred Hitchcock's adaptation of Psycho was amazing and I didn't want what he had brought to life to crumble and die for me just because of bastards being greedy.

Now for those who have actually seen these movies, or this series, and actually care about the movie Psycho I would really like to discuss and hear different people's opinions on these movies. I'm going to start with Psycho 2 due to the fact that I thought the original Psycho was perfect.

Psycho 2: I thought this was an okay movie when looking at it from a technical point of view. I didn't mind the story because it still had me thinking the whole way through about whether or not Norman Bates could still be the person killing. The big thing I enjoyed about this movie was that it gave a little more insight into the character of Norman Bates. I got to see how much he wanted to separate himself from 'Mother' but I also got to see how much he doubted himself due to his mothers psychological abuse that Norman had received as a child. This is definitely the best of the sequels.

Psycho 3: This movie was pretty bad. Nearly everything about it was extremely poor for a horror film. And that "twist" at the end felt so last minute and thrown in it was like they added it just in-case they wanted to continue the series. The only thing I enjoyed about this movie was the same thing I enjoyed about Psycho 2. Once again I got to learn more about Norman Bates and even further see that he wasn't the bad guy, or at least he was trying his best not to be the bad guy.

Psycho 4: This movie was fucking horrible and should have never been made. The story completely ignored a plot set up in both Psycho 2 and 3 by omitting it, giving no real explanation about why Norman had been released so early and the ending was extremely anti-climactic. The only thing worth remembering about this movie was the flashbacks showing me Norman's childhood and how batshit crazy his mother was. Even then most of the things that happened in flashbacks were said to have happened differently during the first three movies. Psycho should have ended with Psycho 3.

Now I'm not sure what response this thread is going to get as I don't expect that many people on GBATemp have actually seen any of the Psycho sequels but for those who have please give me your input on these movies.

2. Engert

Member Engert I love me

United States
    Psycho is overrated.
    Kind of like Apocalypse Now.

Now, American Psycho on the other hand is a cool fucking movie.

3. gokujr1000
    OP

Member gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    I thought American Psycho was overrated xD

4. Engert

Member Engert I love me

United States
    Have you ever seen american psycho being reviewed by pretentious elitists in Hollywood? No.
    So it's not overrated.