So I just bricked my n3ds XL...

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by shango46, Apr 14, 2015.

1. shango46
    OP

shango46 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Canada
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada
    So, l was trying to install 9.5.-23USA update to my emunand when suddenly my system froze and powered down. I turned it back on and now it does not power up, other than the power light. Screens stay dark. I tried going in to recovery mode, and it comes up, but it doesn't matter what I press (Cancel or Update) because it just freezes. I tried starting with/without memory card, but it does nothing either way.

So, how badly did it brick it? Do I have any hope of fixing it myself?

2. samiam144

samiam144 RĂ©gulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    I assume you have a sysnand backup? A hard mod may be your only choice

3. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yeah without a nand backup i don't think there is much hope for you, if you do have a nand backup you can either perform a hardmod yourself if you have soldering experience or send it to someone else like hundshamer who can install it for you and restore your nand

4. Link'sSpiritualAwakening

Link'sSpiritualAwakening Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2015
    United States
    Not sure why you would try update your sysnand to a non hackable version....if youre gonna do that just use the e shop

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    he did say that he was trying to update emunand.....my guess is he never actually setup emunand and thats why he has bricked......just hoping he backup his nand though or he is screwed

Kenneth196 likes this.
  6. Link'sSpiritualAwakening

Link'sSpiritualAwakening Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2015
    United States
    Oh ya, I read it wrong for some reason. Is it safe to do that on a linked emunand?

7. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    if you actually have emunand set up it would be fine to manually update emunand, im assuming he was trying to update with cia files to get to 9.5.....but really its easier just to go to 9.4 via a rom if your are new to all this stuff.....first step is always make a nand backup before you do anything, second is to format emunand.....quite often if someone skips step two they will also of skipped step one.....because you know who needs to follow guides improvise whats the worst that can happen :rolleyes:

8. Kenneth196

Kenneth196 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2006
    United States
    Texas

Sounds like that's what happened. That or the system just lost power (but I don't think anyone would attempt to do anything with emunand while the red light is blinking).

9. powersaver

powersaver GBAtemp Regular

Mar 15, 2015
    United States
    Wondering if this is a region-change gone wrong and the OP just left out a bunch of details? Hmmm....

10. Pippin666

Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, Qc
    I admire the OP for not being pissed off. But it can happen with those kind of device.

Pip'