So I just bought some Sennheiser HD428s

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by the_randomizer, Dec 13, 2011.

Dec 13, 2011
  1. the_randomizer
    OP

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    So I bought some HD428 headphones from Best Buy for $50 (on sale, http://tinyurl.com/8x9cg2y ) and for the most part, they sound pretty dang good. Nevertheless, some tweaking had to be done with a graphic equalizer (in Windows 7's sound control panel) and no matter what settings I use, it still sounds kind of unnatural (not enough balance between bass and treble). The sound card I have is integrated, a Realtek 5.1 HD and I've been told they no longer support their equalizers for Windows 7. Is there a decent equalizer I can download/use that will actually make a perceptible difference in the music I listen to? I use headphones to listen to anything from video game music, to alternative rock to movies on netflix . Granted, I'm pretty sure I could always go back to Best Buy and trade them in (if made an asinine mistake in getting this brand/model). These headphones do have more bass than many others, but I get the feeling that I could get more "oomph" out of it; not every song I listen to sounds like it outputs enough bass/treble balancing. Suggestions?

2. xxNathanxx

Member xxNathanxx GBAtemp Regular

Tonga
    You need to let sound play through them for a while. They aren't at their full capacity yet.

3. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    The 428's don't really have much in the way of Bass, but the Mids are good and highs are OK. An equaliser isn't going to improve things and burn in will only do so much for them...

Take a look on Head-Fi.org and think about what you want headphones for and whether you can stretch your budget a little further for some better quality headphones. Grado 60i maybe? Shure SRH440? Depends what you're listening to really...

4. the_randomizer
    OP

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Okay, I don't know if they were the 428s, but they had the words "punchy bass" advertised on the box (Best Buy didn't print it, but Sennheiser printed in on their box). Do you know anything about Best Buy's return policies, especially AFTER opening it? Did I get screwed over big time or should I keep tweaking the settings? I didn't want to spend >$60. Oy gevalt, why do I always screw myself over when it comes to getting hardware and why do I always give in to salesmen? Well that's $55 I'll never see again.

[​IMG]

5. mucus

Member mucus Orc Orc Orc

Antarctica
    best buy is easy to return to.
    bring it back and say you didn't want them.