Homebrew So I Heard some N64 games can run on the 3ds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chizurd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not going to create another post about "is there a N64 emulator for the 3ds!?!?!" I have seen tons already, my question is, what games have been able to run on it? A few people have posted about a select few games actually working on the 3ds. My question, is which ones? Honestly if N64 emulation is a thing I only want to play golden eye 007 on it, that game was so fun, have it for my N64 at home, but that damn N64 controller hurts my fingers.

SnakeOil992

Walking bruh moment
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I'm not going to create another post about "is there a N64 emulator for the 3ds!?!?!" I have seen tons already, my question is, what games have been able to run on it? A few people have posted about a select few games actually working on the 3ds. My question, is which ones? Honestly if N64 emulation is a thing I only want to play golden eye 007 on it, that game was so fun, have it for my N64 at home, but that damn N64 controller hurts my fingers.
I hope you don't think ported games(Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora's Mask, Starfox 64 3D) is emulation.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2

AlexanderLS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want Super Mario 64, the ds port Super Mario 64 DS appears to work on TWLoader.
Also, Diddy Kong Racing DS will work with TWLoader according to the supported games list.

So between the 3ds ports and the ds ports in tw loader you have some of the best n64 games.

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm not going to create another post about "is there a N64 emulator for the 3ds!?!?!"

Oh, ok, what's this thread about then? Just emulate it on your computer and play with whatever controller you want.

Nobody is even gonna attempt to make an N64 emulator for the 3DS because that would be a total waste of time, no games would run at playable speeds.

Kourin

Touhou Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
A lot things can run on the 3DS.
Not well, however. If I remember rightly someone got Mario 64 to boot but it was at an obviously unplayable framerate unless you're very patient.

Skyshadow101

The Sky Is The Limit!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS can barely run a proper SNES emulation. Don't get your hopes up

Makes no sense to me that a 3ds can run a full 3d game experience (some slowdowns, yes), but not be able to run a 2d platformer from the SNES very well.

I really want an explanation, from anyone, on why this happens.

mario-lucis-caelum

Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't say that it's impossible since the PSP can run Mario 64 via Daedalus at a playable enough framerate. You never know.

Also, why not just emulate N64 games on your smart phone?

Last edited by mario-lucis-caelum,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Makes no sense to me that a 3ds can run a full 3d game experience (some slowdowns, yes), but not be able to run a 2d platformer from the SNES very well.

Emulation isn't just running a game. It's running pretend hardware as well.

Think about the difference between you telling a story and having a latex model of the human mouth and throat do it. You have to make it tell the story using only your two hands and blowing up the wind pipe, recreating all the tiniest muscle movements in the throat, tongue, and cheeks with only your two hands to make all those complex sounds. You'd be lucky if you even got a single vowel sound out of it let alone a whole story, and definitely nothing like what a real human would sound like. This is sort of what it is like emulating versus running software made for the system.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Emulation means having to convert on the fly code for a different CPU, this obviously comes with a performance penalty
Besides, in a game console there's not only a CPU, but also a sound generator, a video generator, chips in the controllers to pack the data of 10 buttons in 2 wires, plus depending on the game add a mapper or even a full coprocessor... which all must operate in sync

I wouldn't say that it's impossible since the PSP can run Mario 64 via Daedalus at a playable enough framerate. You never know.
PSP has an advantage when it comes to emulating the N64 cpu, since they're both MIPS processors so many instructions don't need to actually be emulated (compare to PS1 on PSP or DS/GBA on 3DS, although these examples have no CPU emulation at all, only of other parts)

3DS can certainly emulate N64/Gamecube, and emulate them accurately... just not at full speed (or anything close)

Reactions: Skyshadow101

Kourin

Touhou Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Also, why not just emulate N64 games on your smart phone?
Emulating anything that isn't an RPG on a phone sucks with touchscreen controls. Phone controllers look and feel pretty meh imo but that's just me.

Last edited by Kourin,

mario-lucis-caelum

Trophies
XP
Country
Emulating anything that isn't an RPG on a phone sucks with touchscreen controls. Phone controllers look and feel pretty meh imo but that's just me.
That's why you buy a Moga controller.

Heck, if you don't have money use your PS4 controller. I use it all the time and it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.