So I have to buy a new receiver

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by djricekcn, Nov 25, 2012.

Nov 25, 2012
  1. djricekcn
    OP

Member djricekcn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Because WiiU has no optical out and my receiver doesn't have a HDMI + WiiU needs a LPCM 5.1 for surround, I have decided to get a new one...only problem is...I need help / suggestions. What will do you recommend, or list of suggestions? I'm looking for 400-600 class, 600-800, and 800-1100 basically three different price ranges and see what i want to do from there.

currently; I have these in my mind....but please tell me if it's not a good idea, with a reason so I can better teach myself.

Onkyo TX-NR717 (around 500 for this)
    Onkyo TX-NR818 (around 800 for this)
    Yamaha-RX820 (around 700 for this)

Keep in mind that I have a small room and my speakers, eventually will upgrade, but using the set that came with the Onkyo HT-R500 Home theater system. In other words, I don't have amps right now and don't intend to buy one because I don't really have the need for it with my room size. I'm also running 5.1 right now, but probably going to get a 7.1 for future proof. 9.1...don't think it'll really start kicking until like 5+ years anyway...even 7.1 hasn't really kicked yet so...

I basically want something with multiple HDMI Input (and of course and out for the tv is needed), maybe 2 TOS-LINK for in case, and of course good quality and can be future proof for maybe 3-5 years (which is why i kind of put NR717 in there...I think that should last at least 3-4 years????)

Please help me out!